Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Nice article about another drive-in closing

Author Topic: Nice article about another drive-in closing
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-27-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it's a profitable d-i too. They claim they had 21 straight 400-car sellouts this summer with the double-bill "Finding Nemo" and "Pirates of the Caribbean". Thank you Wal-Mart! [Mad]

[Frown]

On CinemaTour

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad. [thumbsdown] [Frown] I haven't taken in a film at a drive-in 30 years. But I'm in the process of restoring a Brenkert BX-60 that once projected fims at the long ago defunct "Moonglo" drive-in in Scottsburg, Indiana

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2003 07:45 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to dispair!

Here in Ponitac, Michigan where the SilverDome (former home of the Detroit Lions football games) has closed, the parking lots will come alive with multi screens as drive-in theatres.

These skytops will show first run features and all screens will use radio sound.

This area of parking has great possibilities for this use. The SilverDome is a football stadium in an inflated building. (Yes, they have air locks for you to enter through) The article I read did not say that there would be any cinema inside the structure.

I do hope that the saying, "Everything old is NEW again" is true about these drive-ins.

KEN

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-27-2003 09:13 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The news item about the Silverdome Drive-In is located here on the Cinematour Forums.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-27-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, that article on the closing of the Motor-Vu has quite a bit of local drive-in history in it. Just didn't want you to miss it. I haven't seen the newspaper here do anything that detailed on local movie theatre history for, well, ever. I thought they did a nice job on the article...

-dave

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2003 12:34 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't the owner sell the theater to someone who would run it? The owner probably just wants a big pile of money and it seems he's saying to hell with the customers who've patronized his theater all these years.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-28-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess when Wal-Mart waves a huge wad of cash in your face, it's pretty hard to turn it down.

[Frown]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-29-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought it was a nicely done article.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: