Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Regal Entertainment to present Kiss concert at theatres

Author Topic: Regal Entertainment to present Kiss concert at theatres
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-27-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rock legends KISS will hit the Big screen with the Melbourne Australia Symphony Orchestra in special Regal Entertainment HD concert.They will hit the screen on Sept. 9th. 2003 at 7:30pm.

from Regal Entertainment Press release.

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=rgc&script=410&layout=7&item_id=443478

|  IP: Logged

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2003 01:56 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recorded the concert in Melbourne 26, 27 & 28 February this year. It was recorded 16:9, standard definition, digital PAL.

The original request from the U.S. was for 4:3 but we (the ABC, Australian Broadcasting Corporation) insisted on 16:9 for local broadcast.

It was broadcast here in Australia in July.

Regards,
Rick

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-28-2003 03:55 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kiss is using this as a marketing tool for thier upcoming DVD realese of the Melbourne concert. There will also be a few "Theatre only suprises".

It is broadcast over RCM's Digital Content Network, the same system thats used to show "The 2Wenty".

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-28-2003 06:11 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What format will be used for playback? Hard disk? D5? HDCAM? Something else?

Also, what will happen to the feature films which are scheduled to play in those auditoria on that day and time? What do those distributors think about losing potential ticket sales for this?

(Maybe they don't care, but I'd be curious to know how this would work work.)

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, from what I saw with the Beyonce concert was that they held some tanked movie an extra week and drop some showtimes on that day for allow for the broadcast. The concert is being held on a Tuesday which a distributor will more than likely allow, plus getting an extra week out of a movie helps too. The distributors, however, will probably not give up a weekend slot for something like this.

Source of information was comparing showtimes on Fandango? for the days surrounding the Beyonce concert.

FWIW, Cinemark is looking to do these types of events. I currently have a 270 Mb fiber link coming in to the theatre connected to a 4:2:2 decoder connected to the DLP projector.
The image will be HD 720P.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-28-2003 10:35 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't waiste your money. THe only way to see this band is Live in person. No movie screen is going to do justice for this type of show. Plus see them without the symphony it will be a much better show. I have listened to and seen some clips of them with the symphony and it is just not that good. The Kiss alive 4 symphony album is getting ripped reviews. The only way to see em is on tour currently with Aerosmith.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-28-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gene Simmons is/was an avid film collector. Don't know if he collected 16mm or 35mm, but at least he was into film in the 70s.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-28-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only way to see em is on tour
I'll second that. I saw them first in 1977. At that time I hated Kiss; I just wanted to go for the fun of going to a concert. I came out of there a fan.

Saw them again on the reunion tour in the late '90s. It was refreshing...they didn't scream a lot of profanity from the stage, they were still the great showmen they were in the 70s, and it was like being a teenager again.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-29-2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a band has to use a lot of profanity to get your attention then their stage show and songs must suck. Metallica the exception but that's just James Hetfield getting with his fans. But some bands just blurt four letter words out for the hell of it trying to get a reaction. Kiss never had to do that because their shows got your complete attention. You just can't feel the heat off those flame pots going off on the big screen.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-29-2003 09:27 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always felt the same way about comedians and today's movies. That's why I champion people like Sinbad and George Wallace; they're intelligent, and can make a joke that's based in humor rather than surprise.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for a change we beat Regal. We had KISS here in concert LIVE ON STAGE!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 02:41 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Tim doesn't confiscate my Millie Jackson, Redd Foxx & Blowfly records!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: