Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Boss's" ???? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Boss's" ????
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-27-2003 11:17 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, where's Steve and the other grammer masters? I noticed our electronic marquee said "My Boss's Daughter" and when I was about to tell the managers that it was wrong, I noticed that it was spelled the same way on the poster. What gives? Do you think this is something that slipped by, or was done on purpose, or am I totally wrong on it being wrong?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I don't think you are wrong. That is grammatically atrocious. I would have to assume that someone at the studio knows that it is wrong, but if they had done it properly(My Boss' Daughter). than many people would think that the movie was called My Boss Daughter. If they are intentionally misusing the apostrophe s, then I think it is a sad but telling concession to the lowest common denominator.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-27-2003 11:43 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it depends on the writer's choice of style and usage. See this link:
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/possessives.htm

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2003 11:58 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The stylistic rule I learned in school was to form the possessive by adding an apostrophe plus the letter "s".

But words ending in "s" need only the apostrophe. However, there's the option of adding an apostrophe plus "s."

The apostrophe indicates missing letters. "John's book" was
originally written "John his book", so the apostrophe replaces letters "h" and "i."

"Boss" is awkward because of the double "s." In speech, we'd say "Boss-iz," and spelling it boss' seems to omit a pronounced syllable. In preparing a speech to be read, as on a tele-prompter, the apostrophe plus "s" might be preferred by the reader.

Incidentally, "boss" would be capitalized as the first word of a sentence, or as part of a name (Boss Tweed) or as a title in direct address (Right away, Boss!) but not in "My boss' daughter gives me a pain."

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-27-2003 12:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul is right. That is becoming more and more accepted.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-27-2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I saw an image of a poster on moviegoods.com that did indeed show it as "My Boss' Daughter." Maybe that was an early version or a teaser?

I agree that "Boss's" may not be perfect but from a marketing standpoint, it's probably more desirable.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Paul. When I was taught grammar in school, I was told to NEVER use an apostrophe s after an s for possessive purposes. However, I would certainly trust the Strunk manual more than my grade school teachers.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-27-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grammatical atrocity is common in written and conversational forms of American speech. Many got their panties in a twist when Price Charles raised objections of how we were murdering the "King's English."

Here's the truth, America. Price Charles was right. Many of you are idiots. In true American form, we prefer to have our asses kissed rather than be told the truth.

"My Boss's Daughter" is yet another accepted example of wrongly used English. If I am going to write the possessive of "boss" I always write "boss'". I have to go round and round with signage customers when they want to put wrongly worded grammar on a lighted pylon sign. They reply, "but that just doesn't look right." I try to tell them the use is correct, but they want the wrong version instead. That has to be the motive for writing "boss's" in that movie title. They did it for looks.

I'm sure English teachers must be pulling out their hair when they take marks off a student's paper for splitting infinitives, writing run-on sentences and ending sentences in prepositions. The kids just come back with magazine articles and hardcover books by well-known writers that make all those mistakes. I personally did that in a couple of my junior high English courses. Then the teacher responds, "those writers are doing that for effect and you need to know the rules before you break them."

On occasion, some movies give me a good chuckle when it comes to the techical properties of English grammar. I like the scene in "Fight Club" where the airport baggage claim worker says, "in the event of a dildo we can never imply ownership of the dildo. We have to use the indefinite article, 'a didlo,' and never 'your dildo.'" The sad fact is most Americans have no clue of what "indefinite article" means.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-27-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the horrific use of the word myriad? Editors of newspapers never seem to catch this little gem when it is misused, and writers use it to sound smarter than they actualy are.

It is often used like this "There were a myriad of movies at the megaplex today." When the appropriate use is this... "there were myriad movies at the megaplex today."

Let's face it, we are getting dumbed down at a frightingly speedy pace.

Dave

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations : fourth edition". Kate L. Terabian. ©1973 ISBN 0-226-81621-4.
POSSESSIVES
3:7 Form the possessive case of a proper name in the singular by adding an apostrophe and s:
  • Jones's book
    Stevens's poems
    Kinross's farm
    Marx's ideology
    Diaz's revolt
    Finch's candidacy
But see the exceptions noted below (3:8 and 9):
3:8 The possessive case of the names Jesus and Moses, and of Greek (or hellenized) names of more than one syllable ending in es, is formed by adding an apostrophe alone:
  • Jesus' ministry
    Moses' leadership
    Aristophanes' plays
    Xerxes' victories
3:9 For some common nouns as well, a regard for euphony sets aside the rule for forming the possessive by adding an apostrophe and s, and instead adds only an apostrophe:
  • for conscience' sake
    for righteousness' sake
    for appearance' sake
3:10 Form the possessive case of a plural proper name (the Bradleys, the Costellos, etc.) by adding an apostrophe to the accepted form of the plural of the name.
  • the Bradleys' house
    the Costellos' ranch
    the Rodriguezes' mine
    the Finches' yacht
"The Macmillan Handbook of English : sixth edition". John M. Kierzek, Walker Gibson, revised by Robert F. Willson Jr. ©1977 ISBN 0-02-363040-X.
15. THE APOSTROPHE
15a. An apostrophe and -s are used to form the possessive of a noun, singular or plural, that does not end in -s.
15b. The apostrophe alone is used to form the possessive of a plural noun ending in -s.
15c. The apostrophe with -s is used to form the possessive of singular nouns ending in -s, if the resultant form is not unpleasant or difficult to pronounce.
EXAMPLES
James's hat, Keats's poems, Jones's office; but: for goodness' sake, for conscience' sake, Demosthenes' orations.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-27-2003 09:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Toledo Jeff, that's way too many rules to remember.

I'd rather just write as I feel, and let 'em bitch! [evil]

>>> Phil

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-27-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Holy Toledo Jeff, that's way too many rules to remember.
Jeffry's from Cleveland Ohio, not Toledo. [Big Grin]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd rather just write as I feel, and let 'em bitch!
There's a Shakesperean sentiment for you!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-28-2003 06:27 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The form of apostrophe abuse I find that people whose English is otherwise perfect tend to go in for is getting the possessive form of a collective noun (which is singular) wrong, e.g.

The Driller Killer is not a childrens' film (wrong)
Snow White is a children's film (right)

Apostrophe Protection Society...

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-28-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! The apostrophe protection society??? But I think they're wrong too when they say "Jones's bakery". It should be "Jones' bakery." Their example of "Joneses' bakery" is correct however. Like Joe, I was always taught to NEVER use an 's after a word that ends with s when showing possession. The "words that sound like they end in s" rule is new to me, though. I guess I was sick that day.

I don't get the "it doesn't look right" argument. There's a lot of words that don't look right. Welcome to the English Language! To me, "boss's" looks like "bosseses." Oh, well. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: