Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Tornado Fuel saver

Author Topic: Tornado Fuel saver
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried this thing?? It's supposed to cause a "tornado" out of the air intake in your car. The thoery is sound, but it's pretty expensive, just wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, BAH!

I think the CVCC engine in the Honda automobiles used that principle years back. Voltswagon Diesels, too? It was effective, but as far as an exceedingly expensive "hang-on-the-engine" device is concerned, would you really yield any savings over the life of the car? As an example, why spend 600 bucks on a device that will save you 400 bucks? It does not make financial sense to me....

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Tornado is like $70. Not a fortune, but not cheap either, especially if it doesn't work. I've been tempted to try one though.

Not to change the subject, but when I switched from regular oil to Mobil One synthetic, my mileage went up almost 10%. [Smile]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The website for the tornado says that you need 2 for an f150, I dont see why, if it was jsut for one I would probably go ahead and buy it, but if I have to spend $140 then I'd like someone to tell me if it works or not.

Z-max is good for mileage also. My truck had pretty poor acceleration before I put the stuff in, but it's prefectly smooth now. Still slow though.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-21-2003 12:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The F-150 must have dual air intakes or split manifolds or something.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the tornado about a year ago in my jeep cherokee. When I first got it (without doing an engine tune up) I saw about a four gallon increase on the highway (from here to boston, no traffic late night driving) and about two around town. 17mpg/24. After a tuneup 18/25... is it worth it? Depends on the intake system. A good intake filter (k&n) and a tornado in an "awakard" no direct system, probably worth it, and will repay itself in about a year, and save you money after that. In most new cars? probably not. [thumbsup]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David wrote.
quote:
The F-150 must have dual air intakes or split manifolds or something.
The electronic fuel-injected 300-cid (4.9l) straight six like in the one in my '89 has, for lack of a better term, a two-barrel throttle body. A siamesed pair of hoses runs from the air intake/filter box to the throttle body. I believe the 302 (5.0l) and 351 (5.8l) EFI V-8 truck engines from the late 1980s up until 1997 also had the same induction system.

[Edited to include picture:]
 -

[ 08-21-2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Jon Miller ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: