Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home

This topic has been moved to The Political Arena.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Gasoline Prices Part 21..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Gasoline Prices Part 21.....
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prices shot up again. About 5 cents per gallon almost overnight. This, coupled with the extra 5 cents gasoline tax in the State of Washington is now producing a "double whammy." The prices of gasoline in some California locations are now almost 10 cents cheaper than we are.

Supposedly, it is being blamed for a pipeline failure in Arizona. BAH!!! If you believe that, you will believe that the moon is made out of owl urine.

Another thought was one of the refineries up here is shutting down for 30 days for preventative maintenance. Just in time for the Labor Day Holiday. How ironic! An idea was needed to spike the gasoline prices, so this should indeed do the trick!

I took four pictures of signs today. The first one in the below quad picture is a reference. The picture in the second panel was 1.2 miles from the first. The third panel was 4.8 miles from the picture in panel 2. The fourth panel was 4.2 miles beyond that. Here is the picture:

-

An intertesting note I discovered in the news today: I presume this was for California. It'll probably move its way up here in due time. Folks, close the hatches and stand by for a ram.

quote:
Authors of a state-commissioned study affirmed Thursday earlier predictions that California's plan to ban the fuel additive MTBE by the end of this year will result in gasoline shortages that will send prices soaring as high as $4 a gallon.
It is getting cheaper to stay home instead of fiddling around with part-time jobs.

It seems to me the government is not controlling the oil companies. It seems the oil companies are in complete control of the government. This is the highest I have ever seen gasoline prices in the Pacific Northwest.

My brother's wife sent me this today. I thought it is quite fitting for this subject. It goes like this:

A little boy goes to his dad and asks, "What is politics?"

Dad says, "Well son, let me try to explain it this way: I'm the head of the family, so call me The Prime minister Your mother is the administrator of the money, so we call her The Government. Your here to take care of your needs, so we'll call you the People. The nanny, we'll consider her the Working Class. And your baby brother, we'll call him the Future. Now think about that and see if it makes sense."

So the little boy goes off to bed thinking about what Dad has said.

Later that night, he hears his baby brother crying, so he gets up to check on him. He finds that the baby has severely soiled his diaper. So the little boy goes to his parent's room and finds his mother sound asleep. Not wanting to wake her, he goes to the nanny's room. Finding the door locked, he peeks in the keyhole and sees his father in bed with the nanny. He gives up and goes back to bed.

The next morning, the little Boy say's to his father, "Dad, I think I understand the concept of politics now."

The father says, "Good, son. Tell me in your own words what you think politics is all about."

The little boy replies, "The Prime minister is screwing the Working Class while the Government is sound asleep. The People are being ignored and the Future is in deep shit."

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regular in Santa Rosa, CA is running between $1.92 to $2.17.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been told that gasoline in some Los Angeles areas was running about 1.79 per gallon. That's what ours was 2 days ago. Ian, I'll almost bet we will be in the same price bracket within a few weeks. [Frown]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Authors of a state-commissioned study affirmed Thursday earlier predictions that California's plan to ban the fuel additive MTBE by the end of this year will result in gasoline shortages that will send prices soaring as high as $4 a gallon
Choking... [puke]

I hope that isn't true. I've not heard about that. If something like that were to happen... oh boy, trouble! Rape, murder, and gas stations on fire would occur I'm sure.

Danny

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-20-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In New York City I am paying $1.72 for Premium. Prices have been fairly steady for the past two months.

Pete Evans
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Pete Evans   Email Pete Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, I wish it was that cheap over here......we're paying about $6.00 a gallon for the stuff. It'll soon cost more to fill the tank than the car's worth!

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just drove from Cleveland, Ohio back to central Indiana this morning. Regular is running $1.69, except one truck stop in Ohio that has a lot of competition where I got it for $1.59. The same station had it for $1.55 on my trip there on Monday.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the problems we have here is Arizona/// here's
another one: A gasoline pipeline East of Tucson had a blowout.
NOW gas is selling for $4.00/gal at some places in Phoenix.
Oh well... the rich get richer etc !! [bs] [fu] [sex]

FJN

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There actually IS a gas shortage here in AZ, but whether that has anything to do with regional prices, I don't know. Every single station I've passed by in the past few days has a very long line of cars waiting for gas. Right now I've read that prices are hovering around $2 for a gallon, anywhere on up to $4.50 for some sleazebag in Phoneix somewhere. Places charging around $3.50 report shorter lines I think. From what I hear, they are relaxing the gas restrictions on Phoenix (we have some special type of gas but I'm not sure what kind), and normal gas is on it's way to us. I can see how prices might spike up in CA and the other western states because we're taking gas from other sources, but again I don't know how that all works. Luckily I filled my tank the day before the shortage happened so I haven't had the unpleasant experience of sitting in 115 degree weather for an hour just to get gas.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-20-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past week I have watched the gas prices here in my part of Oklahoma go from $1.39 for regular unleaded (the 87 octane stuff) to $1.49 and now $1.55. Forecasters say the prices will jump at least another 10 to 15 cents within the next week or two.

These price hikes are really nice considering I am about to drive up to Colorado for a much needed vacation within a couple days.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 07:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Bobby. The next time I travel to North Dakota might be by air. It is getting just too damned expensive to drive anymore.

Mike, I don't think there has ever been a gasoline shortage. All this crap about it is just too (shall I say) convenient???? If there was, it was something that was "created" by Big Oil or sleazy dealers all in the name of a buck! Add to that a panic by the customer, and we have big trouble.

Although there are no refineries in Arizona, one pipeline bringing gasoline in from California remains in operation. The pipeline that was shut down brings gasoline in from Texas by way of Tucson. Gasoline from that pipeline is now being trucked in. It might be slower, but there is no "shortage."

The gov of Arizona urged residents to stay calm. She said, "Keep cool, take a deep breath, don't top off your tank."

Apparently the "panic" going on in Arizona which is causing 2 or more hours of wait in the gasoline pump lines is severly adding to the problem. Hundreds of cars idling their engines with the air conditioners running while waiting in line is burning too much gasoline and it is just plain stupid.

Mike, you guys are being gouged by the greedy wholesalers, retailers, truckers, bulk plants, and Big Oil. They see it as a quick way to make a buck, and to hell with everyone else. Then factor in the governments (State, local and federal) jackassing up fuel tax and you really have a mess.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's prices like that that make me love my motorcycle more.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well maybe there's not a shortage per se, but from what I understand, a pipeline broke or something like that. And, also I understand we have some special gasoline that's unique to Phoenix which is another cause for delay, but I heard they relaxed restrictions and now "normal" gasoline is being trucked in. I don't believe there's a shortage though. I love how the governor gets on TV and tells everyone not to top of, but says nothing about price gouging (at least what I've seen or read). Supposedly the attorney general is looking into making an anti-gouging legislation though, so that might be good news. But, there's no way in heck I'm going to not leave the AC on when I have to wait in line, it's simply unbearable heat!

Just curious if anyone remembers the gas "shortages" from the 70s. A friend of mine who had a relative who was a trucker said that the truckers were told not to deliver the gas or told to remain stationery, in an obvious attempt to hike prices. Not sure if this really happened or not but was an interesting tidbit.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, let's [fu] them all and ride a damn bicycle...just like we did 50 years ago. [beer]

I am thinking of that...maybe an electric scooter that has a range of 40 miles or so without charging the batteries. OOOOOO---how I wish I had my old Cushman Eagle I rode in the 1950's... [Smile]

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$2.29 - 2.30 for regular here in Kamuela for the last couple of weeks. Costco in Kona is about $2.06!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: