Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Gadget which claims to reduce your fridge's energy consumption by 20% (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gadget which claims to reduce your fridge's energy consumption by 20%
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just over a year ago an ecologically-minded relative mentioned that she'd bought a Savaplug. This is a gadget which replaces the mains plug on your fridge, which claims to reduce its energy consumption by up to 20%. Apparently a conventional fridge compressor is very energy-inefficient when running at anything less than 100% speed. The Savaplug therefore allows it to have full power when starting, but thereafter regulates the electricity supply to maintain peak efficiency.

I'm told that a fridge is by far the most power-guzzling appliance in most people's homes, typically drawing 100-200 watts for hours at a time. The Savaplug people claim that over the 10 year guarantee period, it will save you approx. £120 in electricity costs.

Being a gadget-minded sort of person I decided to put their claim to the test and got one. I've just compared my electricity bill for the May-August quarter for last year (the first full quarter in which the Savaplug was running) with the equivalent bill for this year. Typically my electricity bill is highest in this quarter, because all the heating and water heating in the flat is on gas. I guess that the fridge having to work harder in the warm summer must be responsible for that.

Anyhow, the bill this year was £4.32 lower! I can't think of any other variable which has changed (e.g. it's not like I was away for two weeks this year but not last year, and I haven't got rid of any power-hungry things that plug into the wall). So it looks like this thing really does do what it says it does. The only possible drawback I can think of is if this thing does long-term damage to the fridge compressor, but I'm a year down the line with it (and my relative is 2-3 years down the line with hers) and there's no hint of any problem so far.

In the UK you can order one here. They cost £25 including P & P. I don't know if they're available for continental and US power supplies.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about something like that here in the states... some 4 or 5 years ago... don't recall the name they sold it under.

Technically, just limited the current available to the compressor at the point when it needed it the most... at startup... pretty much like putting a common resistor in the line. You could argue that this would save (some) electricity... but most comments here were against using it. For one, the head pressure (Paul?) would have to drop a lot lower than normal in order to restart a compressor with one of those things in the line.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thing claims to be more sophisticated than that. It does not limit the current during startup, but kicks in as the current drops off after startup. How it works.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 12:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BAH!

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should really start switching my TV off rather than putting it in standby. Has anyone see that TV advert?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dest way to save power on a TV set is to unplug the damn thing. [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-20-2003 01:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Germany, you can borrow a power consumption monitoring device from the electricity companies. I saw such a device here just a couple of days ago, I think it was at RadioShack or Fry`s. With that, it should be easy to see if the Savaplug actually saves power.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-20-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember these things being marketed here back in the '70s. They are just a capacitive load that is supposed to bring the power factor for inductive loads like motors back towards unity. Whether that affects how a power meter works provokes some questions: Are we billed for VA or W (reactive power or real power)? Do power meters run true only at unity power factor? Do they run 'fast' under reactive (especially inductive) loads?

My understanding is that most power companies bill residential accounts based on watts, as opposed to industrial accounts which are billed for VAs since industrial loads usually require utility-supplied capacitive correction. If a residence is being billed in watts, I don't see where one of these devices will save anything on the power bill. But if one is being billed in VAs, these devices may help, assuming they last long enough to repay their purchase price.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael: what I must do sometime is switch everything else off in the flat while the fridge condenser is running, then look on the meter (a digital one which gives you a readout in watts as to what the whole flat is pulling), then disconnect the Savaplug and see what the fridge condenser runs without it. Next time I switch the thing off to defrost it I'll have a go. But on the evidence of the electricity bill (down from £38 to £32 across equivalent quarters), I'm starting to be convinced that this thing actually works.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-20-2003 06:25 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Those devices are basically a glorified light dimmer. A zero-crossing "variable-power", motor control with some intelligence to monitor the load-current and automatically adjust the triac/scr conduction angle...with some power factor correction thrown in if the unit is the "deluxe" model.

Without getting into a big discussion about VA, watts, apparent power, etc., the motors in those appliances consume the same amount or more energy when not fully loaded than when running at full load. Since those appliances motors rarely run at maximum load (but must be capable of supplying the required hp when required), the unused "power" is consumed anyway and thrown away as heat.

By allowing "just" enough power to the motor as dictated by the load, less energy is used.

>>> Phil

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they work well, do not damage the appliance, why dont the fridge/freezer manufacturers build them in [at a fraction of the cost] and get a better energy efficancy rating,

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-20-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I would guess it is either a scam or the savings are not worth the powder it would take to blow it to hell.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-20-2003 08:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, in the U.S., many are in use in commercial HVAC systems for BIG ASS Fans.... They do work...especially well for moving fluids.

Whether or not it pays for a private individual to put one on their "ice box", I doubt it. Changing to those fu*cking fluorescent light fixtures is what REALLY saves the bux!

>>> Phil

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-21-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they work well, do not damage the appliance, why dont the fridge/freezer manufacturers build them in [at a fraction of the cost] and get a better energy efficancy rating,
I think they do on more sophisticated ones. The instructions on my plug said not to use it on 'modern fridges which have a digital display and/or electronic circuitry' and to contact the manufacturer if in doubt. This suggests to me that some models at the upper end of the range are now starting to have the power regulator built in.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-21-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The instructions on my plug said not to use it on 'modern fridges which have a digital display and/or electronic circuitry' and to contact the manufacturer if in doubt
That suggests to me that a regulated DC power supply (which digital electronics need) doesn't react nicely to whatever it is this device does to the AC input to the fridge. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: