Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Subway gets e-bayed, I get shafted.

Author Topic: Subway gets e-bayed, I get shafted.
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-18-2003 09:12 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to subway quiet a bit. Great food, nearby, and its good for you right? So, I collect sub-stamps, which can be redemed for free sandwiches. I tend to toss everything from my pocket at the end of the day into a little bowl in my room. Today I realized that i have enough stamps in that bowl for 12 6" sandwiches! So I gather enough for one sandwich and head out to lunch. When I present the stamps to the freindly "Sandwich Artist" She gives me the look I used to give customers when they handed me a copon from AMC for free popcorn (I work at Edwards). She informed me that due to a crisis regarding the stamps on e-bay, most subway locations no longer honor the stamps. So i forked out the usual 7 dolars and ate my lunch. When I got home, I checked e-bay.

This is what i discovered

Due to this a-hole, I cant redeem my cupons i rightfully earned. I also think Subway is over reacting. They're willing to lose my customer loyalty (and a thousand others) over 75 subs, the most expensive of which only cost the stores 99 cents at cost. This is rediculous. If there going to do that, I'll take my buisiness to submarina, where they use a hole punch in a card method for free subs, a system any one could rip off. But for them the benifits of KEEPING LOYAL CUSTOMERS are more importaint than the few disshonest people taking advantage of them.

Do you guys think i'm over reacting?

|  IP: Logged

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

If this one seller was able to steal or counterfeit so many stamps, there may be thousands more extant which would prove a big drain on the company and invalidate the offer.

Nonetheless, if I were you I would write to the company HQ
customer service VP with your complaint, stressing your good faith saving of the stamps as a loyal customer, and requesting they comply with their advertised offer or equivalent.

You might mention that the inequity of their action has precipitated spreading, unfavorable publicity on the internet,
which you hope to counter by being able to post a favorable outcome on their part.

Good luck,
Gerard

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

No, you're not overreacting. [Smile] I'd be a little annoyed, too, if I encountered the same scenario.

You could try to file a "questionable content" complaint with eBay thorugh their Rules and Safety department. If there is the possibility those stamps were indeed counterfeit as Gerard suggested, that would be a major case of trademark infringement and eBay will shut the auction down. It may not make the Subway folks calm down right away, but a little "community policing" certainly doesn't hurt. Even if you can't use your stamps for the near term, at least you'll get some satisfaction in helping shut down a potentially questionable auction.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Boy, does that suck. And I had just started patronizing Subway. Was this just a recent development? Maybe that's why they didn't give me stamps the last time I ordered. I have to say though, Quizno's is more impressive generally, albeit pricier. (My theatre, Subway, and Quizno's are all within a half-block of each other!)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2003 03:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why coupons are annoying. If Subway really cared about their customers, they would lose the whole coupon thing and just lower their price across the board a little bit.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 08:57 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quizno's is absurd, price wise. This is news to me and it's yet another example of one person ruins it for everybody.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-19-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why they are getting so bent out of shape.
The guy has a reserve price on the auction and it hasn't been met yet. I'm willing to bet it's at least $250 because the "Buy Now" price is $305.

I don't know about you guys but I'm NOT going to pay that much $$ for something that most people normally get for free.

Second, assuming they are NOT counterfeit or stolen, who cares? Some Subway store, somewhere SOLD a corresponding amount of product to warrant that number of coupons.

Subway took in the money. Now it's time to coughh-up!

I think the store you went into, Mike, just didn't want to pay up and they are making an excuse. I would call Subway's corporate offices and find out what's going on here if I was you.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-19-2003 09:11 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Randy, that store is out of line. Call Corporate report that store, and point out to them that YOU have spent YOUR $$$ based on their promotions.

But Brad, it's all about luring customers back with the hook of getting something for free.

>>> Phil

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 11:43 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you are not over reacting. If that happened to me I would stop going. I have stopped buying and eating at many place because of bad service and products.

It's your money and if they don't meet your expectations then they don't deserve your business.

Anyway Subway is to expensive, that's why I stop going. I stopped going to Arbys because they use to have the 5 roast beef for $5, now the bastards have the 5 for $5.95..... that .95 cost them my entire business and I refuse to eat there.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2003 12:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is why coupons are annoying. If Subway really cared about their customers, they would lose the whole coupon thing and just lower their price across the board a little bit
Stores use coupons because people are too lazy to redeem them. I read somewhere that something like only .02% of all coupons are ever redeemed.

Rebates are the same way. We sell motor oil by the case at my day job, with a coupon good for a $3.60 rebate by mail, and I would say that maybe one out of a hundred people (if that) take the coupon, even when we offer it to them!

No wonder other countries hate us...

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't the coupons have code-numbers on them or anything?

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subway? I guess being from Maine, I never think of eating at Subway. Next time you're in Maine try Amato's!

One web site reference.

But if you're in Portland and need more than sandwiches there are some excellent choices on this list.

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 01:52 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Subway has stop taking the stamps why hasn't Subway email ebay and stop the sale of these stamps unless they are on the sale of the stamps. Also why has only some and not all Subway stores stop taking the stamps I definitely think if Subway has not done anything by now and not owing up to there promotion they should be reported for false advertising by not taking the stamps.

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way you can get Subway in trouble for what has happened, other than losing customer loyalty. Subway is smart enough to cover their asses. Direct quote from the "sub club" card...

"...Valid only at participating Subway Restaurants. This offer can be withdrawn or altered at any time..."

It sucks that that particular Subway, and any others that have, have made the decision to not honor the stamps but they can do that if they want. Although it sounds like a stupid way to handle it. Especially since the auction hasn't even ended on ebay yet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: