Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Computer freezing at random times

Author Topic: Computer freezing at random times
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last week or so, I have had problems with my computer locking up at random times. I am using Windows XP Pro. Everyone says XP is supposed to be more stable, but I never had this problem with 98SE. It happens with nearly any program - IE, Quicken, Word, AIM, Real One - and I can't even use ctrl-alt-del to get to the Task Manager. My first suspect was faulty RAM, but I ran a diagnostic program on my computer (which took several hours to complete) and the memory tested OK. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-18-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motherboard or perhaps CPU. A diagnostic won't catch it because it is working fine unless it freezes.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-18-2003 01:40 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is on XP and is very recent, check the information in this thread about last week's worm.

Download the removal tool from the Symantec link above and it will scan your system, remove the affected files, and ask you if you want to go to the Microsoft page and download the patch.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-18-2003 02:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more inclined to suspect a software issue than a hardware issue, especially if the same hardware previously ran without problems and the trouble started after upgrading the OS. And as Adam points out, system instability is a symptom of the Blaster worm.

My experience with XP Pro since upgrading to it about six months ago is that it is a bit more stable than 2000, but by no means bulletproof. In particular I've had sudden freezes when rendering video from Adobe Premiere (6.02) using the Ligos plugin and 'Windows Explorer has generated errors and needs to close' when copying an encrypted file from an NTFS volume through an Ethernet crossover cable to my laptop.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Symantec program didn't find the worm, and I just ran Windows Update last week, so I have all the current patches.

The last time my computer froze (this morning), I got really worried. Upon rebooting, the BIOS didn't detect either of my hard drives on channel 1. I shut off the computer for a minute, and restart. Everything seems to be fine now. Since it wouldn't detect either drive, and they are both on the same channel, that leads me to believe there was a common problem: either the cable, or something on the motherboard. Could a problem like this cause my computer to freeze, or are they two seperate problems?

The only reason I ever installed XP was because 98 crashed on me, and my roomate convinced me to install XP because it's supposedly so much more stable and the problem I had with 98 would not have happened with XP. But I am only running a Pentium II 400 MHz. I'm really thinking of going back to 98SE until I can afford to upgrade my motherboard and processor. What do you guys think?

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 10:58 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what kind of computer you have (factory built or a self built) but did you update your BIOS when you switch to XP? Have you updated the drivers to your video card? When you installed XP did you do a clean install or did you just update from 98? Have you had this freezing problem ever since you installed XP or is it something more recent? Do you remember if you had these problems soon after installing a new program (or game)? Also some older programs that ran fine under 98 wont run properly under XP unless you download a patch (if one even exists) from who ever made the program. I had this problem with the verson of Direct CD that I owned. It ran fine with 98 but when I tried to install it for XP, it would cause an error every time the computer reboot and they never bother to make an XP patch they just tried to sell me a new version.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken I run xp on a celeron 400 with 256 megs of ram. And it runs just fine... [Wink] I think remembering the minimum requirements being a 233 processor.

Now for your problem, losing you drive could definitely be the problem. Check and see if your mobo and hard drive are s.m.a.r.t. capable, if there are any "problems" it will normally detect those when you are able to boot the machine up into it's bios. Also I would move your second device to your secondary ide controller, it always help with bottlenecking. When xp is running I would also check to see if there is any extra crap running in your msconfig startup file and check the task manager also for unnecesarry crap. Did you install any new software lately? Reboot it in safe mode and see if there are still lockups, lots and lots of stuff to try. If you have any questions feel free to email me or the whatnot. Godd luck! [Big Grin]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-18-2003 12:04 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This definitely sounds like a hardware problem to me. Unfortunately diagnostic programs are not much good at ferreting out flakey RAM or bus-related timing issues...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-18-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it didn't detect the hard drives on boot-up, I would suspect a hardware problem as some others have mentioned.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long is the PC on before it locks up?
I had a problem once with overheating. The PC would lock up. I could not get it to boot for nothing unless I waited 1/2 hour or so. Then it would boot fine.
Check to make sure your CPU fan is running.
(I'm assuming your power supply fan is on - that pretty obvious to notice.)

Tony R.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I have a custom-build from a local computer shop in Ft. Myers. Standard ATX motherboard and power supply. My hard drive is a new 120 GB Maxtor drive. I am using my old drive that came with the computer as my second drive, just for extra storage. I have not updated my BIOS or any drivers, nor have I checked for any XP patches. I did, however, do a clean install. I do use Direct CD. It is the version that came with my DVD/CD-RW combo drive, which I only got a few months ago. I would think it supports XP, but I'll check the documentation.

Sean: I'm pretty sure my drive and motherboard ar S.M.A.R.T. capable, but I'll check. Yes, I have installed new softward. I installed a couple of utilities that allow you to change the boot screen and login screen. That's about the only software that I currently use that I did not use with 98. They are a suspect in my mind, I just have to get around to uninstalling them. The reason both my hard drives are on one channel is because my CD-ROM and my DVD/CD-RW are both on the other channel. I use one of those drives together with my hard drive far more often than I use both hard drives, so I want to keep them on a sperate channel from my main drive.

David: I was afraid that the diagnostic software might not catch memory errors. I'll have to see if any local computer shops have a memory tester.

Tony: The computer locks up at random times. Although it is on my list of things to check, I don't suspect the fan(s) because a.) my computer doesn't sound differnt. You get so accustomed to the sound of your computer that you don't even notice it anymore, but as soon as it stops making its usual sounds (which are mostly the fans), you notice. And b.) I keep my computer on 24/7, but it never locks up when I'm not using it. If the screen saver is running, or it's at the logon screen, the CPU would still generate heat, and if the fan were the problem, I would think it would lock up at those times, but it doesn't.

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I got a lot of work ahead of me to try to figure out this bug.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-18-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I have problems like these, I sometimes peel out the little battery that powers the BIOS memory. After a few minutes, the buffer is empty and you start from scratch with a fresh BIOS.
But before you do that, you can run XP´s system restore program and restore the system to an earlier state. Maybe this was already mentioned here. Anyway, it often works wonders. None of your recent work or emails will be deleted, but you should still save them.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Check and see if your mobo and hard drive are s.m.a.r.t. capable, if there are any "problems" it will normally detect those when you are able to boot the machine up into it's bios.
I just checked my BIOS settings. It does support S.M.A.R.T., but it was dissabled. I left it that way for now. Could enabling it cause any problems if my drives do not support it? If not, why would it be dissabled? Why wouldn't the BIOS manufacturer just have it enabled by default?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-18-2003 05:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting it's a hardware issue, or possibly a driver issue. Are you using any third-party drivers? If so, make sure that you have the latest versions. Try swapping out memory (or just removing some) to see if you have a bad SIMM/DIMM/whatever. Also, check the power supply rating and make sure that you aren't exceeding its capacity. Also, make sure that you have adequate cooling; most power supplies and fans are cheap and crappy, unfortunately.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: