Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Another fantastic bargain on software.

Author Topic: Another fantastic bargain on software.
John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 02:43 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received the attached spam pertaining to current Adobe and Microsoft software.
Certainly another "buyer beware" situation.
John Spooner.
MAJOR TITLES FROM MICROSOFT AND ADOBE for ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!

Visit now! - http://www.%63%64%61%74%6c%6f%77.%63om/soft/

Why we'are saving you $1250,on 3 BEST SELLERS.

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL -- Only $50!
Retail price: $270.99. You save $220
----------------------------------------------
MICROSOFT OFFICE XP PROFESSIONAL - Only $100!
Retail price: 579.99. You save $480
----------------------------------------------
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 7 - Only $60!
Retail price: 609.99. You save $550
------------------------------------------------

More titles >>>http://www.cdatlow.com/soft/

We're giving you these INSANE discounts because these are the
official products without the box, manuals, documentation and
guarantees. Our supplies are limited, place your order today!

http://www.cdatlow.com/soft/

AOL Users - Important Notice: If you can't double click the
link above you must cut & paste in your browser.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-15-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are probably bootleg or stolen copies. I would not touch them with a 10-foot pole. If someone buys them, it would not be too surprising that the little pin-striped boys carrying little clipboards would be knocking on your door if you tried to register the product if they were reported as stolen property.

As a note: Western Digital had a break-in some time ago and a bunch of new hard drives were stolen. Western Digital tracked many of them down by serial number. Those who had the drives had some tall explaining to do.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-15-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to know what happens when someone attempts to "activate" a copy of XP.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-15-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They are probably bootleg or stolen copies
More likely, they are 'OEM' bundle packages (few of which ever have boxes or full documentation, others have the manuals on the CD itself in PDF format) which are fully licensed and legit (the 'legal technicality' is that they have to be simultaneously "purchased with a new PC")

I have a copy of Windows XP that is still in the shrinkwrap that is nothing but a genuine laser-etched MS CD in a paper sleeve, a carboard stiffener, and a flimsy XP 'basics' manual that has the genuine laser-hologram seal with the serial numbers that you are supposed to attach to the computer case and license intact. (It came with a machine that I couldn't use XP on and I installed Win98SE on instead.)

Software like this can be found legally at similar prices all the time at computer shows like the ones by MarketPro .

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-15-2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's possible, Aaron. But then again, who is to say and who is to know? Buyer beware.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-15-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a related topic, I never, ever, let my software "call home". I can always check for updates manually. After you install your OS, the next thing you should install should be ZoneAlarm. There are no less than 15 different processes in XP Professional that routinely try to contact Microsoft and relay information about you, your machine, and other personal data. Only 2 or 3 of these are actually required for you to be able to surf the web. Adobe products try to call home, too.

Answering "no" to every connect request ZoneAlarm intercepts will help keep Big Brother out.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-16-2003 02:06 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have the hackers found a way around activation? No, I don't wish to cheat but the whole business I find highly offensive not to mention a harbinger of things to come where software will only be subscribed to, not owned. For now I am sticking with 98SE but I realize the day will come when I will have to move on. I just hope when that happens I can do so without having to report in to Mr. Bill.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-16-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve wrote: "...highly offensive not to mention a harbinger of things to come where software will only be subscribed to..."

Actually, it's already that way; we only lease software, not "buy" it... an idea thought of by IBM in the 60's I think.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-16-2003 11:34 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have the hackers found a way around activation?
Yes, before it was even released. (XP Pro)
[evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: