Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Advertising Pop-ups on Film-Tech.

Author Topic: Advertising Pop-ups on Film-Tech.
John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last few weeks on random occasions while viewing the forums, I have had advertising material pop up in the lower right hand corner. The text says the ads are not part of the site being viewed.
Has anyone else had this occur?
John Spooner.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-14-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not experienced that problem. It was probably coming from your ISP or browser.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2003 02:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably have the Gator program on your computer. Somewhere along the line you probably clicked on some stupid program to "speed up your internet connection" or "automatically set your clock" scams that they have on free-hosted websites (like Geocities). You'll have to find whatever it is running in your task manager, then find it on your hard drive and nuke it.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-14-2003 03:17 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Download and run Ad-Aware 6. You may also be receiving popup ads if you have Instant Messaging software running or are not behind a properly-configured firewall.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also,

if running Windows 2000 disable Windows Messenger in the Services menu. This is not to be confused with MSN messenger. I accidently forgot to disable it and started getting ads for " Penile Enlargements ".

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-14-2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I accidently forgot to disable it and started getting ads for " Penile Enlargements ".
Same here. I shut messenger off, though I also found that I hadn't secured the firewall as well as I had thought. No problems since then, though.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 12:12 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for advice received. I do have Yahoo Messenger installed, so this could be the source.
Brad, I had seen the speed up software and downloaded it to try it, however it caused so much bother that I uninstalled it. I certainly will be ignoring the clock one, thank you for the warning regards it.
Adam, I have had the free Pop-up Stopper installed for some time, does a magnificent job of stopping most pop-ups. Would it run ok along with the Lavasoft?
Finally, regards annoying software, has anyone else been pestered by that annoying monkey Bonsi, or the annoying fat little Wizard who is supposed to make the e-mail talk. I downloaded them at differing times, they played havoc with the computer and were more hindrance than help. I uninstalled Bonsi reasonably easily, but to get the stupid Wizard out was difficult, it will not uninstall on command as it puts a small file in the programme to stop uninstalling. The file has to be deleted and then the uninstall will procede.
Thank you again for advice received to date. John Spooner.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys does Windows Messenger fall under just "Messenger" in my services? I dont any Windows Messenger but just that and Im also wondering if this affects any other type of messenging?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: