Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where to find crimp on connectors / "sockets" for an ETC stage light.

Author Topic: Where to find crimp on connectors / "sockets" for an ETC stage light.
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-12-2003 05:15 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got this ETC stage light:

-

Which as you can see got a little crispy:

-

The consensus is this was caused by the big flame coming out of the lamp, but who knows:

-

Here's a closer shot of the crimp on connector that I need to replace:

-

And another:

-

The crimp on connector needs to fit the posts on this halogen lamp (OSRAM HPL575/115/X or NAED 54807):

-

If anybody could tell me where I may come across one of these connectors I'd appreciate it. So far I haven't had any luck tracking some down.

Thanks,

Daryl

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-12-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried BMI Supply? We get virtually all of our stuff from the.

Looks like an old style Source Four fixture. No? Looks almost identical to the ones we use but yours don't have interchangeable lens barrells.

Getting just the connector might be a bit tricky. You might end up paying more money for a new porcelain and the crimp-on connectors than you would have if you just got a whole new end cap. Besides, you should just break down and get yourself two or three extras like we did. Your time spent fixing junk like that is worth money, doncha' know!

We had two or three of those failures just like yours. It usually comes from somebody not putting the lamp in tight enough. The old style of the cap didn't have the spring clamp that holds the lamp in. People wouldn't put it in far enough and over time the a arcing would destroy the connector. With the clamp inside there, the problem occurs a lot less but you STILL have to make sure that the lamp is all the way into the socket and that the clamp is latched closed or else you stand to have the problem all over again. I know... when you are in the middle of a show and your're up on a dark catwalk, trying to do the job as quick as you can, it's hard to get that lamp pushed in all the way. Been there... Try doing it while hanging onto a ladder with one hand while hanging 20 feet above the concrete deck! [Wink]

It really pays to have a few extra end caps on hand. You can keep them all "lamped up" and ready to go. Store them in clean boxes in a safe place. When the moment of truth comes... and it will... all you have to do is grab one of your spares and go.

If you can't convince the bosses to do that, try ProductionAdvantage.com

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 11:06 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try Electrosonic or Active in the T.O. area.

There is an Electrosonic and Active on Gordon Baker Avenue just north of Finch and Victoria Park.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-12-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The socket is I believe a TP22 since the fixture uses a FEL lamp

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-12-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is a source four fixture from 1999. Actually it's one of quite a few spare fixtures, so spare bases aren't really necessary since we often just swap bases around from fixtures that aren't in use.

I'm not sure if it was a loose lamp or the fact that the, since repaired, dimpack was putting out a bit over 145 volts.

I was able to super glue the porcelain back together so I'm alright there.

I have called Electrosonic... they couldn't help me over the phone. When I get some time I'll go through my catalog and see if I can find it.

Thanks all!

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try PNTA (Pacific Northwest Theatre Associates) in Seattle, 206-622-7850, x292. They handle ETC's full line including replacement parts and are really nice to deal with. I would replace the whole socket and get some additional spares as well.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-12-2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call any of the theatrical lighting suppliers in toronto
Christie Lites
Jack A Frost
Lumitrol

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: