Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Freaky Friday - STOP IT!

Author Topic: Freaky Friday - STOP IT!
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been two previous Freaky Friday films. Plus a slew of other "body changing" movies ("Hot Chick" was just this year). Now we've got a third Freaky Friday. What is Hollywood's fascination with this ludicrous and stupid plot idea?

|  IP: Logged

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. After watching Kirk Cameron and Dudley Moore switch bodies in "Like Father, Like Son", I knew that the parent-child-body-swap genre had reached its peak. [Big Grin]

"18 Again", with George Burns and some guy nobody's ever heard of, was a close second, but it can't match the sheer genius of pairing up Kirk Cameron and Dudley Moore as a father and son. It's as natural a match as, say - Ralph Fiennes and Jennifer Lopez in a romantic comedy! [puke]

I agree. The whole body-swap thing has been done to death. Of course, if anyone's willing to rechew the same ol' crap and throw it out there again, it's Disney. I can't wait for "Herbie: The Love Bug 2005". [thumbsup]

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 08-06-2003 09:03 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they pulled some shit on us yesterday afternoon, after of course I already had the whole movie schedule done for next week, and up and decided to run Freaky Friday starting today (Wednesday) even though all the info we have says its a Friday release. I had to pull out 2 other movies that are supposed to run until Thursday, one of which we had a birthday party booked for so we are just going to run it in place of something else. Then the poor janitor calls me this morning because he doesn't have a clue what's going on, and what to do with the marquee and posters, and then tells me a fax came in from Technicolor after we all left last night saying they were picking up the 2 movies we were supposed to drop at the last minute (including one that will run the first matinee - both of which were not scheduled for teardown until Thursday night). My response.... "Sucks to be them!" Let them charge us for a missed pickup and fight with the owner about ever getting paid for it. By the time we found out about it this morning it was too late to tear it down and make our pickup window anyway, so might as well not get all stressed out by it! What a bunch of crap - and for a remake of a movie that SUCKED the first time around too!!

Now that Herbie idea is intriquing... They could use one of them "new" bugs... <evil grin>

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-06-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the new bugs should be translucent like the iMac.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering when Disney will hit on the idea of having Pixar start doing remakes of all their classic animated films. THAT might actually be a good idea.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 04:41 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, this film got some pretty good reviews in the local paper today. We might end up playing it opening weekend at our place... depending on how it does the next week or so.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-06-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
48 of 54 reviews listed so far on rottentomatoes.com are favorable.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert and Roeper: 2 thumbs up

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/today.html

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 08:38 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it last night.. It was not that bad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: