Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Stalin Plotted to Kill John Wayne?

Author Topic: Stalin Plotted to Kill John Wayne?
Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2003 04:44 AM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stalin Plotted to Kill John Wayne?

Jul 31, 10:31 am ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin was so outraged at the anti-communism of film star John Wayne that he plotted to have him murdered, according to a new biography of the American icon.

"John Wayne -- The man behind the myth" by British writer and actor Michael Munn says there were several attempts in the late 1940s and early 1950s to kill the man known to audiences around the world as "Duke."

In the first attempt, two Russian assassins posing as FBI agents tried to kill Wayne -- born Marion Morrison on May 26, 1907 -- in his office at Warner Brothers studios in Hollywood.

But the plot was uncovered and the would-be killers captured, the book says, citing several sources including director Orson Welles.

The book says the Soviet plots were canceled after Stalin's death in 1953, by his successor Nikita Krushchev, who was a fan of the larger-than-life star of more than 100 films.

"That was a decision of Stalin during his last five mad years. When Stalin died I rescinded that order," the book quotes Krushchev as telling Wayne during a private meeting in 1958.

But it says American communist groups took up the cudgels against Wayne who was a supporter of the anti-communist witch-hunt led by Senator Joseph McCarthy, citing an attempt in Mexico on the set of the film "Hondo."

Wayne survived these attempts and another by a sniper during a trip to visit American troops in Vietnam in 1966. He eventually died of cancer in 1979.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stalin plotted to kill a lot of people and was quite successful at it. Here are some facts out of the my lecture notes that I give students:

1. Stalin's real name is Iosif Visarionovich Djugashvilli.
2. He changed his name to Stalin to avoid capture by Russian
secret police prior to the Soviet Revolution of 1917.
3. Whereas Hitler was responsible for the deaths of about 10 million
people . . . Stalin killed 20 million.
4. Upon assuming power in the Soviet Union, Stalin ordered the deaths
of the five other members of the Politburo.
5. The last original Politburo member to be executed was Leon Trotsky
in 1940.
6. Trotsky's assassination (in Mexico City) was probably the most
noteble foreign operation during Stalin's regime.
7. During the First Five-Year-Plan it was estimated five million Russians
were killed for refusing to enter into collectivized farms.
8. Stalin's secret police force, the NKVD, was controlled by Lavrenti
Berea, a known drug addict and rapist.
9. When his son Jakob was captured by the Germans in World War II,
Stalin was known to have remarked, "let them kill him".
10. It is an established fact that every single family inside Russia lost at
least one member to violence, starvation, or imprisionment during
Stalin's reign.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-04-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have read about about Stalin, it is not at all hard to believe that he watched a John Wayne movie, didn`t like it, and ordered him to be killed.
Stalin considered himself very knowledgeable in the field of arts (just like Hitler, many dictators were people who had artistic inclinations, but were very untalented).
For instance, the famous composer Shostakovich fell from grace when Stalin went to see the opera "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk" which was a great success with the public and official Soviet criticism - only Stalin didn`t like it.
The next day, the opera was cancelled and Shostakovich had to publicly apologize for the work. He also had to "make up" for his "failures" by writing music which conformed to what Stalin saw as the style of "heroic realism".

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-04-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How un-American! Surprised it hasn't come out before now, though. I have several books on my hero, John Wayne.

How do we know this isn't another one of those internet rumors?

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 06:59 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first I've heard this story [Confused]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne's dressing room at Warner Brothers??? [Confused] Wasn't he working for Republic Pictures at that time?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-05-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EXCELLENT observation, Ken! First clue that the story is bunk. Also, do actors maintain offices at studios? I've never heard of that. Producers, yes, but his production activities around that time (e.g., Angel and the Badman) were purely independent.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out "Big Jim McLain" (1952), in which John Wayne and James Arness are the noble agents of the HUAC uncovering a plot by the dastardly Reds to take over the labor unions in Hawaii (!). The leader of the Communists is played by Alan Napier (Alfred from the Batman TV series). Filmed mostly on location in Honolulu. A picture so bad it's funny, but an interesting window into what Hawaii used to look like.

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 06:00 AM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the story is indeed true. By that I mean the news report - I can't vouch for the author's claims. I don't remember where I first spotted it, but here's a link to a report with a little more detail:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3114963.stm

I've never read anything by this author so I can't say how reliable he might be.

When I saw the story, I couldn't help but think that this would have been a pretty good movie. I, for one, would have liked to see John Wayne pummeling the living daylights out of Stalin at the end!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: