Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do you Dream in Color? In Stereo? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you Dream in Color? In Stereo?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-31-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try to answer the following questions as well as you can:

1. Do you dream in color or black and white?

2. Do you dream "as you" or from a 3rd person perspective, watching yourself?

3. Do you hear sound in your dreams? Is it directional?

4. Can you feel physical contact of any sort in your dreams?

5. Are you ever aware that you are dreaming while you are dreaming?

Here are my answers:
1. I dream in color. I remember seeing a blue bikini last night on some girl.

2. My dreams look as I would see them in real life. I don't see myself.

3. I hear tons of sound and it is very directional. Even in EX (true). I can also hear the subwoofer quite well. Sometimes the sounds get LOUD.

4. Absolutely. I can feel pain, contact, pleasure, you name it. The pain in the dream is usually amplified by a factor of 5 vs real life (ie: getting my arm chopped off just can't hurt that much!)

5. Yes, sometimes. When I realize this in the dream, I am suddenly able to control my dream. If I am in a bad situation, I use my mighty mind power to change the circumstances to my liking.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 04:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually in color.

As me.

Yes to hearing sound. Now, off the top of my pointy head, the only times I can recall where there was directionality was when I was dreaming about movie theaters! Yes, I confess, I occasionally dream about movie theaters. If the dream includes a film actually running, then the sound is present and it's directional. [Smile]

Rare, but it does happen.

Yes! Every once in a while I'll have a really intense dream that lasts a long time, at least a few hours. I will be semi-conscious part of that time, and know I'm in that state, and the dream continues. If it's an unpleasant dream, I will wake myself up, walk around, then go back to sleep, hoping that the dream doesn't continue, but sometimes it does. Isn't that called lucid dreaming?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-31-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, to color, internal point of view, and sound. Can't tell you about directionality, though, never noticed. I have always had the capability to control my dreams and what I do in them, ever since I was about 7. Used to fly a lot, too, just because it was fun.

However, as I've aged, I've had more of a tendency to just let them go on their own and see where they take me. I can always change them or bring them to an end if they go somewhere I don't like, or if I want to start all over again fresh.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-31-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually dream in color. And sometimes the color doesn't make any sense. When I was a kid, I wanted it to snow so badly that I dreamed it snowed a lot, but there were big blocks of snow laying around in different colors like blue, orange, pink and purple.

2. Do you dream as "you" or do you watch yourself from 3rd person perspective?
I always dream "as me" and never have any "out of body" type of dreams.

I hear sound in my dreams, sometimes complete conversations or a cataclismic event like a volcano, earthquake or tidal wave brought on by my psychopathic id. Sound is usually kind of dull or muffled in my dreams. I don't remember if it is directional.

4. Can you feel any physical contact in your dreams?
Sometimes. I've dreamed of getting bitten by spiders and stuff like that. I suppose anyone who has had a "wet dream" has probably felt physical stimuli that was not really there.

Not usually. I'll pick up on obvious things like actress Claire Forlani being my girlfriend and wanting to jump in the sack with me. I wake up muttering, "bullshit."

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dream in digital sound, but sometimes I have dropouts. Still, since I am the only one hearing the sound anyway, I'm not going to bother getting it fixed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 06:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually dream in DTS unless the disks don't show up.

The worst part is listening to the stupid "DreamTunes" music before the dream actually starts.

---------------

Seriously, I dream in color and 'as myself.' What's funny is, I don't usually dream about people who are close to me like my wife, parents, or siblings, but rather people I've just met or used to know a long time ago. I would say about 75% of the time I don't remember what I dreamed about, so the preceding is probably all wrong.

I remember the night after we finished automating the projection booth at the Roxy, January 20, 1980. That night I dreamed that I drove down the street and saw fire coming out the booth windows. There was no other traffic or any other people around, no fire trucks or anything. It was just burning up. That was a weird dream.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-31-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dream in high magenta for compatibility.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-31-2003 08:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a black-and-white dream. In fact, I don't know anyone who has...so it makes that "scientific assertion" seem very fishy to me.

I don't see myself. It's always first-person POV.

Sound, yes. Directional...I don't know. I never noticed really.

Physical contact is rare but it happens.

You know what is an odd phenomenon in dreams? Stuff like:

"I was at home...only it wasn't MY home...i mean...it wasn't my REAL home. Actually it was YOUR home...but in the dream it was MY home somehow."

"We were having sex...you and I...but even though it was you in the dream, it wasn't...YOU-YOU...you know? No. It wasn't meant to be you at all. I mean it WAS you...it totally was...but in the dream...I don't know...It's like...you were my fifth-grade teacher somehow."

And stuff like that.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dreams are a very interesting subject, since I've had some very strange experiences with them. I'll take the questions as Joe asked them.

In color. I believe I've had some black and white dreams, but they're extremely rare.

"As me". Other types of dreams (where I see myself from another person's perspective) are very rare.

The sound in my dreams is usually exactly the same as if I were in the situation in real life.

Yes. When I come in contact with objects or people in my dreams, they feel as if I'd come into contact with them in real life.

Yes, It often happens. My brain has become very good at detecting when I'm in a dream. Typically, something out of the ordinary triggers the thought, and after that, I can start controlling the dream (usually by stopping it).

A good example of this was a few nights ago. I dreamed I was looking out the window at 2:00 AM and it was daylight with the sun shining. This is quite a neat, pleasant experience that has happened before in dreams. My brain immediately realizes "it's a dream" and the dream was over within a minute.

The strangest thing happened about a year ago. I had a "dream within a dream". I woke up from a dream and even realized the first dream was ending when I woke up. Soon after waking up, I realized something was amiss and soon woke up from that dream. It's the first and only time I ever remember that happening.

Someone mentioned having dreams that take place at a certain location, but the location in the dream is actually another location. Many of my dreams take place in the house I grew up in, with that house being mine, or my parents'. I moved from that house in 1988, and my parents moved from it in late 1999 to a different house, but the dreams still often take place in the old house. The same happens with buildings and workplaces. Different locations from my life end up in the same dream, adjacent to each other, even within the same building.

When I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade, I had a dream that was a full-length color animated (2D cartoon) movie. That's extremely rare, and I can remember almost nothing about it. There have only been a couple other occasions that I've dreamed in animation. It's rare.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 01:17 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sensory perception while in a dream state is typical. It is used in psychological studies involving dream recall: while the subject sleeps, a bell, touch or some other environmental effect is used to provide a "marker" when interviewing the subject later. "And then there was a bell, then so & so happened, later someone touched me, then so & so happened", etc.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow what a cool questions....I can relate to all that have answer, never thought about it that deep, but cool to relate to everyone....been cooler to have been stone and read these.. [Big Grin]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 07:21 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, unfortunately, never remember my dreams. It is as if I never dream but I know that is an impossibility. I know everybody dreams, but as soon as I awake, the only thing I remember is the last moment I was awake before falling out. I am kinda jealous that others can remember theirs let alone describe if it is in color, stereo or 3rd person or not.

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 08:18 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dream in animation. Seriously. I don't remember very many of my dreams but of those I do, the vast majority have been in a heavy-lined, oversaturated cartoon style. Perhaps the mind is trying to rationalize the bizarre situations and surreal images? I have never met anyone before with that experience...

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-01-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You keep on smokin' that stuff Matt, and you'll be able to become a Gold Medal Olympic Skier. [Big Grin]

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 11:04 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don Sneed said:

Wow what a cool questions....I can relate to all that have answer, never thought about it that deep, but cool to relate to everyone....been cooler to have been stone and read these..
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yup, that's true Don, trust me. [Wink]

Cool as it is, however, I should like to add one more question. Joe said I could. Well no he didn't really, but he might have. Anyways before he sees this, I'd better ask my question.

6. After waking up from a dream, do you ever examine the recent events and experiences of your life that relate to this dream / in other words,
why did your brain decide to dream this?

It has been said that the body really doesn't need sleep. Perhaps the part of the brain that receives the pain of working all day doesn't want to realize this and is telling the body to sleep.

Is it possible that the rest of the brain however, in order to keep from going insane during 8 hours of non-incoming visual and audio activity, coupled with bodily inactivity, makes up its own senarios? [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: