Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bob Hope Dead at 100 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bob Hope Dead at 100
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2003 08:49 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Hope passed away sunday of phneumonia. He was 100.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I still have his 90th Birthday Bash on tape somewhere. Haven't heard much about him since then.

=TMP=

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, sad news.
There'll never be another like him. His career could only be called outstanding.
Although they were corny, I still enjoy the "road" films, have several on DVD. Love those swipes at Paramount Pictures he made in them.
Will be missed.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always hate when an old actor/actress/director of the golden era of motion pictures passes. It reminds me of how better everything was done in those times...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-28-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is indeed sad news about Bob Hope's passing. But now he's partying again with the likes of Bing Crosby and George Burns. He lived a very full life and brought smiles to the faces of millions. I grew up watching his TV specials, but with him gone it reminds me of all the years that have passed.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the biggest name of the lot, has the summer of death come to an end?
katherine hepburn, barry white, a bunch of southern big name politicians, buddy ebsen, the no name guy from the gods must be crazy(heh heh). John Schlesinger.

Who is left in the bob hope generation of stars? Kirk Douglas is the closest and I consider him in the next generation.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked Mr. Hope. A couple of years ago, while visiting my sis in Los Angeles, we rode by his property/home. Thats as close as I ever came to meeting him.

He was always one of these people that could 'come across' the barrier of your TV set. He would be welcome in my home.

In my last job, I ran dupes of the Dean Martin Roasts. A couple of years ago there were issues with Bobs health, the company ran off 25000 copies of the Bob Hope roast just to have on hand.

I'll run a copy of one of his Christmas with the Troops shows tonight in memory.

Thanks for the memories, Bob. We'll miss you. You were one of a kind!

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the memories are endless.

Will there ever be another like him? Yes, there are and will be others, but not like him, or Bing, or Jack, or Red, or George. All great comedians that came from the one true American art form... Vaudeville.

They were all comedians and entertainers that could and did make you laugh until you cried. Sometimes they handled material that was suggestive, but NEVER used a dirty word, or mentioned an inappropriate body part, and still could make you laugh until it hurt.

It was B.F.Keith, founder of the Keith-Albee vaudeville circuit that made vaudeville a family entertainment. He refused to allow any off color acts to appear at his theatres which included the famous Palace on Times Square in New York. In addition to advance warnings about unacceptable material, all acts were reviewed by the house manager during the first performance. If anything unacceptable was presented the act would find a "blue card" in their dressing room mailbox, which informed them that they were removed from the program and would not be booked into any Keith-Albee theatre again.

From these origins came the Hopes, Crosbys, Benny's, Buttons & Skeltons, and Burns and so many more. They did so much to make Americans feel good through so many different and difficult times... and good times too.

I miss them all, and yearn for the times when we couldn't wait to tune in to their specials on TV. The specials are gone, their kind of material is gone, that part of American history is gone... but their memories will live with us forever.

Yes indeed Bob... thanks for the memories.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anybody can leave behind such a wonderful legacy as Bob Hope. The sum of all of our memories of his tv specials, his films, and what he did for our servicemen for 50 years will never be equaled. He made his many years count for something.

Pure class.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-29-2003 06:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The closest of "his generation" I can think of would be Mickey Rooney though they were certainly different actors and almost but not quite a generation apart. Hang in there Micekey! I suppose Ronald Regan would also be of Bob's generation too.

Bob Hope certainly was one of the greats

Steve

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 07:58 AM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was so saddened to hear the news of Bob Hope's passing; but I think we all knew it was not too far off when his birthday was celebrated. What was strange to me was my children asking me who he was? Having grown up watching all the Road movies, Call Me Bwana, the USO Christmas Specials, then I realized they have not seen his work except in small bits during TV specials.

What an incredible life! He watched our industry grow from basically the very beginning!

Of course this week I am going to get questions about his films; who holds the rights/ prints now?

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-29-2003 08:14 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God Bless Bob Hope,as long as we remember him he will live in our hearts.

I own many of his old Radio shows and you can too.

http://www.radiospirits.com

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-29-2003 08:16 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and Bing's latest movie together: "The Road to Heaven".

Thanks for the memories.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a special on Bob last night.
Johnny Carson referred to him as the greatest entertainer EVER.
I would second that.

His comedy was and still is timeless. No matter how many dozens of times I've watched the "Road To" movies, I still bust a gut every time.

Then you add to that his personal character and integrity.
His patriotism and optimism.
He was more of a patriot than most natural born Americans.

And what other Hollywood marriage lasted 70 years - til death did they part!!

Tony

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-29-2003 02:48 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Bob Hope in person at Disney World in one of the restaurants...he was sitting in a roped off section of the place with a whole bunch of people, we have a nice picture of him from that. I didn't know who he was at the time, I was only about 6.

He also played a bunch of shows in the building where I now live in Manitowoc a while ago...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: