Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Seabiscuit", number of screens at opening

Author Topic: "Seabiscuit", number of screens at opening
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-25-2003 03:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of surprised to see a high-profile prestige film like "Seabiscuit" opening today on only 1 screen in this area (Cinemark; Regal didn't get it at all, even though they've been running the trailer). Is this typical in other markets this size? Eugene/Springfield is ~200,000 in population. Just curious.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-25-2003 03:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be the kind of picture they really expect good "word of mouth" on, with building business. Opening small and adding theatres in subsequent weeks works well in these situations, like "MBFGW".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-25-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's only on something like 1800 screens, I heard.

Great, a quality movie that people will want to see, and none of the smaller towns (like us) will get it until September. [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-25-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Eric Carter's film release page, it opened on 1987 screens this week. Hopefully it is good. We need more films that have "legs" and don't necessarily need to saturate the market on opening weekend in order to do good business.

Is anyone playing Phar Lap (an Australian film with a similar story) instead of or along with Seabiscuit? Does 20th Century Fox even have prints available of that one?

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got Seabiscuit on one screen here... pop. 40,000

It seems to be doing well, I've got Tomb Raider 2 on 2 screens and still more customers for Seabiscuit.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-26-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not had a chance to see it yet but it is doing good business here. Of course two big reasons for that. Some of it was filmed here and this is race horse country.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-26-2003 04:55 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My booker told me that Universal pulled something like 500 dates from the Western region. She, and I guess a lot of other companies had to scramble to fill the holes. Partly because of this, Paramount overshot their target on Tomb Raider by Friday & wasn't taking any dates on Monday.

Too bad... we had a lot of people ask about it.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 02:31 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We wanted two prints, but were told we would only get one. All the local competition got one, except for the Lowes theaters north and south of us, who received two prints each. [Mad] And you don't think the chains have clout?? However, I'm willing to bet that we will hold our own with the one print, even though we will not be able to offer extra show times.

Of course they want you to take as many prints as you can handle of the garbage out there.

Great if the picture has legs, but we will still have only one print. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: