Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Earthlink Users Beware!

Author Topic: Earthlink Users Beware!
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-23-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I received an "official" email from "Earthlink" saying my acct was about to be terminated cuz of a problem with my credit card.

I went to the site and all looked OK...so I called them to bitch.

It seems that this is a bogus message sent out by unknowns to get personal and credit card info.

The REAL Earthink is aware of it and is working to correct it.

ALWAYS NEVER trust email or links. Call directly any company.

Also, always look at a site's addr in the addr bar...just to make sure who you're talkin' to.

>>> Phil

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did a news story on tv here recently on this. The scammers just keep trying.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-23-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Samething happened on sympatico.ca a few months ago and before that on attcanada
seems to be the latest scam
But phil why are you worried I thought you got half of the proceeds for helping that col free up that money on deposit in that nigerian bank account that we all got the email about [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-23-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even think you can get your OWN credit card number from the website. (Earthlink's or anybody's, for that matter.) Once it's been entered into the system I think it's just listed as "account number on file" and it's kept in some encrypted "master list" somewhere on a server.

Anyway, if there IS a problem with a credit card, the company will give you a certain number of days to correct the problem. After which they will give you a deadline. You either have to pay up or get cut off.

Calling them up to bitch was the right move, even if there was a real problem.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-23-2003 10:22 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sites usually show the last 4 or 5 digits plus the expiration date....

I know of NONE that show the whole number...that's would be just plain stupit! [Eek!]

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: