Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DeForest Radiophone Receiver

Author Topic: DeForest Radiophone Receiver
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-19-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you radio buffs know what this is, and what it is worth? I think it dates back to the 1920's. I have an opporunity to pick this up:

-

-

-

Please guys....I don't have the slightest idea what this is worth, and I need your help so I don't become the "Screwee" or the "Screwer" [Smile]

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-19-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's De Forest as in Lee de Forest of thermionic valve fame (and three of those can be seen in your picture), 1920s certainly sounds right. As for what this thing is I can't help you - sorry.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 04:46 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's either a tuning coil or tickler coil. Some antique radio people refer to them as tickler coils.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 05:39 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly looks neat, Paul, but I guess this gives you instant membership status in the "glutton for punishment" hall of fame!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-19-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When aliens last visited the earth in the 20s to catch humans and animals to take to their spaceship for experiments, they equipped the alien field agents left behind with these communication devices disguised as radios of the era.
You should be very careful playing around with it, Paul. Nobody knows what happens if you switch one of these on.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, certainly looks like an old TRF set. The name makes it rarer than an Atwater Kent or the like, I would think. You might want to check with Fred Prohl who is curator of the antique radio museum at Ligoneer, Indiana, (indianahistoricalradio@att.net). He seems to be a straight shooter and I believe will give you the straight sinny on this beast. BTW, what a great little museum! Best, Jeff

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-20-2003 10:06 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of the "mnemonic memory device" that Mr. Spock built using the technological equivalent of "stone knives and bearskins" in the Original Series episode, City on the Edge of Forever!

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Randy.
Is that the episode which starred Joan Collins? If so it was regarded as one of the best episodes.

-

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-20-2003 03:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jeff. I sent an email and the pictures as per your recommendation.

The person who owns that radio said he thinks he saw one like that go for 150 bucks on eBay some time ago. However, I may or may not be able to get it. His wife found out that he wants to sell it and since it has been in the family for so many years, he wants to give her side of the family a "crack" at it before he lets it go.

I have to agree. This radio may be a rare bird indeed. And I agree it may be worth more than the Atwater Kent radio. I do believe this radio is a crystal set.

If I get the radio, I'll have to see if Josh or Brad will loan me a cat whisker from their pussy cats and see if I can get the radio working. [Smile]

I just had to say that after Brad related a story about a projectionist/manager who knew evvverrrrything in a different thread. [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-20-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Why, yes it is!
Check the page at Sci-Fi.com

Although, I like pretty much all Star Trek series, there's STILL nothing like the original. The effects may be hokey by our standards today but there's just a kind of "spirit" that's not found in the newer series. They have too much of a politically correct attitude. They just lose something in the translation.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-20-2003 06:55 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, here is one report I received:

"The DeForest is another story. I don't know the value of this set now, but it is worth doing something with. It uses several different size plug-in coils in order to receive various frequency bands. I don't know how many coils are with it, but I recommend you buy it if the cost is not too unreasonable. I saw one sell in a Dallas auction a few years ago for $800, but it was in very nice original condition with a full set of coils. Hopefully you can buy it for a good bit less. If for some reason you decide not to buy it, I would probably be interested in a shot at it."

So, sight unseen except for the pictures, I will try to nail it down if I can get it at a reasonable cost if it is made available to me.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-21-2003 01:12 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to the Antique Wireless Association:

http://www.antiquewireless.org/

They maintain a museum south of Rochester NY in Bloomfield NY:

http://www.antiquewireless.org/museum/museum.htm

http://www.antiquewireless.org/museum/musmap.htm

Bet they can help you identify that radio. [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-21-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, I had inputs from $400 to $2,000 on this rig. The price depends on the "eye of the beholder."

I am going to try to snag it for 400, if I can.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: