Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » CD player help

Author Topic: CD player help
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-18-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Denon DN-650F cd player that has a few small *issues* the most annoying of which is the mono playback. I have verfied that the DAC's are ok, and the PCM stream coming out of the back port is mono as well. Is there a microprocessor that died, and is it worth trying to fix?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-19-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take that as a no.........

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-19-2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, from what you described about it as well as other issues it has, I don't think it is worth farting around with unless you just want to do it for experience. [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-19-2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might help you a little to know that the audio CD format interleaves the data blocks for the left and right channel into a single continuous bitstream.
If you have a CD player which outputs the same signal on both channels - or did you mean that one channel is simply dead? - that suggests that there is indeed something wrong in the decoding microprocessor.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-22-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(digging up an old thread) Did you ever solve this one, Josh?

For what it's worth, the DN-C680 can be configured for either mono or stereo output through the configuration menu. To get to this, hold down the "Play mode" button while hitting "Standby/Cue". Then, use the track select knob to scroll through the menu items. One of these is stereo/mono.

Maybe the DN-C650F has similar options and has been conifigured for mono output (maybe by some AM station somewhere).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: