Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie locations. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie locations.
John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 02:41 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear colleagues.
We are currently running "The Core" and in about the second reel the Space shuttle on its return lands in what seems to be a large waterway spanned by several arched type bridges in Los Angeles.
Where actually is this location and what is it? I have seen the same location in several movies, it seems to be a favourite for car chase scenes.
Secondly in "The Blues Brothers", much reference is made to Wacker Drive. Is it a main road or freeway in Chicago?
John Spooner. South Australia.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-16-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be mistaken, and "The Core" didn't leave much of an impression with me, but I think that's the infamous "Los Angeles River". It's dry or nearly-dry most of the year. Basically it's a big deep wide concrete-lined open-air storm drain running through LA. It can get very treacherous during the rainy season though, and there have been dramatic rescues and occasional drownings when idiots try to kayak it when there's a lot of water in it.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-16-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the place where they held the car race in 'Grease'? That looked like some sort of dried out river bed.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-16-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The "FAMOUS" Los Angeles River has been used in many films for many years. It is a humongous series of drainage "rivers" and tunnels to prevent the city from flooding during the sometimes very heavy winter rainstorms. All of the drainage from the mountains surrounding L.A., as well as the surface water drainage for the city, eventually makes it way to the Pacific through these vast series of waterways and flood-control dams.

There are both concrete and non-concrete sections and each have their own characteristics. The non-concrete portions of the river support habitats for fish, reptiles, animals, and some 350 bird species. They say that is 3/4 of all the bird species in Los Angeles.

The concrete sections are probably the better known sections as those are the ones used most often in films. The many smaller sections eventually lead into the big main section that you usually see in the films for car chases, etc. A lot of time near the 6th Street Bridge, the Vincent Thomas Bridge, and sometimes in the miles of big drain tunnels under the city that trucks can drive into...like in the old film "Them".

Wacker Avenue is indeed a real street in Chicago. I remember when I was about 13 and needed some Juke Box parts. Seeburg's address was 100 North Wacker Ave. I was shocked that they could name a street like that, since to me it meant something ENTIRELY different. [Big Grin]

John, an interesting website for some cool info.

http://www.seeing-stars.com

>>> Phil

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-16-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, Phil, that website has more popups than a warez site!
[Eek!]

Neat things, though. I would like to tour "Melody Ranch"!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-16-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Tim, wouldn't know... I use "Popup Blocker" [beer]

http://www.popupblock.net

>>> Phil

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-16-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehhh, I didn't have much luck with that (or was it Popup Stopper?) Anyway, it was more of a hassle to me than the occasional site I might visit that had popups.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 01:09 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Phil and colleagues.
Thank you sincerely for the location info. I also looked at the Hollywood website. There were many pop-ups as Phil also noted, my "Pop-up Stopper" worked hard so they were not a problem as they did not appear.
Another location which I have heard of is "The Panhandle", what is it and where in the US would it be?
John Spooner. South Australia.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-18-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, John!

There are three, that I know of. There's is a panhandle of Florida, a panhandle of Texas, and a panhandle of Oklahoma. It refers to the states resembling a "pan", of sorts, and the handles protrude from the larger "body", just like a frying pan.

If that make any sense?

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Tim.
Heard of The Panhandle from the movie "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry", a road movie from the 70`s. The sherrif causes the crooks to drive randomly in the area, looked like a farming type of area, a maze of roads and trees.
I certainly would not like to try the stunt where Peter Fonda drives the car between the 2 trucks, too close for comfort when the mirror breaks off.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-18-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I remember that, good car stuntwork! I worked with Adam Roarke on a show in the early 80s and we talked about that movie. Those were the good ol' days of drive-in movies.

In that picture, they must've been talking about Texas/Oklahoma (which, I suppose is the same "panhandle" area, now that I think about it).

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets not forget the Alaska panhandle. Probably not the location for that movie though...

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-18-2003 06:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
99% of the time they are referring to the "Texas Panhandle"...northern Texas bordering with Oklahoma. On a map, Texas looks like a skillet with a handle.

>>> Phil

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 12:01 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Tim and Phil.
It definately would be the Texas/Oklahoma area you mention.
In the movie, what type of cars were the second car they used,was it a Charger, also the hotted up police Intercepter?
Also regards the Blues Bros, what model Dodge was the Bluesmobile.? Where is the bascule bridge which it jumps located in Chicago.?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-20-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The second car in 'DMCL' was a '69 Charger R/T with the 440 Magnum engine [Big Grin]

The police cruiser in 'DMCL' was a '72 Dodge Polara (According to the film, it had the 440 Police Interceptor package in it)

The 'Blues Brothers' car was a '74 Dodge Monaco 440.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: