Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Any musicians on Film-Tech? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Any musicians on Film-Tech?
Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 11:05 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all know everyone on this site has amazing talent for our shared passion but Im curious to know if anyone has any secret talents for music. Do you play an instrument? If so what do you play? Do you sing? Also looking for anyone that plays a "native" instrument of their country.

Im Greek so its only fitting that the love of my life is the bouzouki.

-

Hope to hear from everyone!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-14-2003 11:37 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I play six instruments (in order of fluency):

Piano/Keyboards
Drums
Trombone
Tuba
Guitar
Bass

Me at a talent contest in 1991:

-

Talent contest in October 1993:

-

Higher level competetion, Nov 1993:

-

On drums, December 1994:

-

Keys are my main axe: Here's what I have in my rig:

Peavey DPMC8 88 key MIDI controller
1966 Hammond H-111 organ
Yamaha DX21
Sequential Six-Trak
Casio CZ-3000
Oberheim XK-1 (61-key MIDI controller)
Roland SC55 module
Ensoniq Mirage rackmount sampler
E-mu Proteus/1 module
Alesis HR-16:B drum machine
Alesis SR-16 drum machine
Alesis MMT-8 hardware sequencer
Alesis DataDisk MIDI storage drive
QuikLok and Ultimate stands

and the computer of course. [Smile]

My singing sucks, it is best relegated to backing vocals if at all [Roll Eyes]

I also write some stuff as well...

-Aaron

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 11:47 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have played the saxophone for since the 6th grade.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-14-2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've played the trumpet since 4th grade. Also can play a little keyboard and took drum lessons for 3 years.

I used to sing in the symphony chorus in my area, and made district (top 40 female singers 9th-12th grade in the state) for singing 2 years straight (only tried out in 10th & 11th grades [Smile] ).

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I play in a slew of local punk bands, playing guitar, bass, or signing. My main instrument is guitar, though. I play an Ibanez Artcore Hollow Body through a Music Man 65 amp and a Crate I-don't-remember-the-model-number fullstack. It's a fantastic sound rig with the right tweaking.

This is a pic of one of my bands, Police Line playing a couple years ago, with me screaming my guts out to a bunch of bored looking teenagers.
 -

and this is a VERY old pic of me (complete with insane dreadlock mohawk!) playing bass in an old punk/thrash band Per Capita. God I was such a cool kid. What the hell happened!?
 -

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 01:17 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You were in a band called Per Capita? Thats frieking awesome. [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be able to play some guitar when I was younger, but am limited to the computer right now. I usually use Reason with a touch of Vocalwriter now and then.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-15-2003 04:38 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guitars are for girls. Real men play the bass.

I am a classically trained double bass player. I have played in chamber groups and symphony orchestras as well as in Jazz bands.
Since my ex-girlfriend came from Greece, I also played some rebetika (that is a Greek music-style). I can also sing a few Greek songs.
I could probably count the string bass as a "native" instrument since the classical music tradition in Germany is very strong and goes back centuries.
This is what my instrument looks like from the player`s point of view.
It is an Austrian bass made in the late 1800s.
 -

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 05:20 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... right now I actually work at a music store (if you're in the Wilmington, DE area, feel free to visit, the store is at 4707 Kirkwood Highway, I'm usually there on Wednesday)

I play piano/keyboard and drums. I also compose music, [shameless plug] some of which is available here

and if you go to the website now, you cna hear me sing! (Let's Stop Pretending) [/shameless plug]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 06:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Piano. I have a 5 1/2 foot upright rosewood Knabe, & a Wurlitzer 200A. I am from back in the day when you had a piano, & everybody was his own roadie.

quote:
Guitars are for girls. Real men play the bass
Yah, right. Move a little so I don't drop this piano on you.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 08:27 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's organ and a little piano. I served as a church organist and choir director for many years until church politics made life into a "martyrdom of pin pricks." Now I tell folks I am a "recovering choir director." [Smile]

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on a good day i might be able to play my guitar.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Thanks for starting a great thread! Your instrument is beautiful. Have you a website where I can go to hear you play it?
I learned to play the viola in a college quartet, but gave it up because I lost part of my hearing in the Service.

If F-T were to form a band or orchestra from the Film-tech
posters' replies, what would you name it?

--Gerard

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned the violin for 6 years, but regrettably gave it up when high school work became too much. In retrospect, I wish it was school that I had given up in favour of the violin. Well, not quite, but I wish I hadn't given it up just the same. I keep threatening to take it up again.

I did a bit of singing in high school too but no great shakes there. I can sing in tune but that's about the extent of it. My violin playing showed more promise.

I have had a background in classical music from an early age; my parents were a huge influence. One of the stories that recurs from my childhood is that we had a Revox quarter-inch open reel tape recorder, and I used to thread this up at the age of 3 and listen to an entire recording of Bach's 'St. Matthew Passion' wearing headphones. We also had a recording of 'St. John Passion' and I used to get cross if I threaded this and meant to listen to the other.

Apart from my classical background, I started taking a serious interest in jazz and fusion (only as a listener) since 1992. I am so interested in the musicianship and skill behind this that I attend drum clinics and watch instructional videos even though I don't play.

My favourite drummers in the east-coast jazz tradition are Billy Higgins, Elvin Jones, Roy Haynes, Max Roach, Kenny Washington, Lewis Nash and Art Taylor (amongst many others).

In terms of west-coast/fusion styles, I enjoy Dave Weckl, Chad Wackerman and David Jones.

Guitarists? Grant Green, John Abercrombie and Allan Holdsworth.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-15-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Piano and oboe, plus sight screaming, arranging, scoring, and conducting studies. Still have a Roland D-50 in the house but haven't played anything in years. Listen mostly to jazz, classical, and Japanese soundtracks.

F-T band name? The Singing Sprockets

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: