Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Speakers Wire Size: Things to never do !

Author Topic: Speakers Wire Size: Things to never do !
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 04:48 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently a friend asked me:
Hey Bud, I know that you work as technician in a movie theater; could you check the instalation in my club and tell me why the sound is so crappy ?
In fact the sound had no hight frequencies, and a dramatic losses of loudness.
I opened all the speakon connectors and it was IMO the worst instalation a ever seen. all the connections to the 4th speakers was made with stereo line level cable of 0.25 sq mm ± 25 AWG ? could You immagine the result ?

-

More surprises for me when I checked sthe speakon connector for the 700 W RMS subwoffer: the cable inside was equivalent to 16 AWG, and take a look to the insulation...
 -

[IMG][/IMG]

It took me one week of my vacation to exchange all these cables in the whole club ! Could You imagine that some installers ask for monney to make so dirty job ?
Have You seen some instalation made this way in Yours theaters ? I'm just curious...
Two more pics: Here is the sound rack with the power amplifiers before I checked all:
 -

And here is the new sound Rack After I did the job !

-

Now it's sounds really terrific in this club....
A better installation pay ! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 07:53 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a "problem" that i saw not so long ago. A club just down the road from me asked if i could help. Their speakers were making a burning smell. Anyway, the speakers were Tannoy Puma's and they had been driven so hard that the crossovers had caught fire.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-06-2003 08:01 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice re-do Jean-Michel! Great Job! Congrats!

>>> Phil

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 11:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Phil ! [Smile]

Michael,
The same happened in the club who I fixed the problem: They had four DAS DS-8 Speakers for the lobby and the bar of the discotheque. Every speakers could handle 150 W RMS but the power amplifier was a Electro-Voice EV-Q66 who delivers more than 300 W RMS onto 8 ohms !
All the drivers was burned out and the guy din't understand why [Big Grin]

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Michel, As Phil said, that is a nice rack you have made there. It has often made me wonder (being a club owner myself) why there arn't more serious fires. Esp if your friend had his system wired with .25 wire, they must have been getting hot!

DAS do make good stuff and infact i have a DAS rig (9KW) in one of my clubs, very nice but expensive.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 12:22 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job on the redo. Just think how many locations need the same fix up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: