Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Happy 4th Of July (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy 4th Of July
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-04-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I was working on my HicKOCK Model 600A tube tester, I had some "Sparkin und Spitzen" and it just occured to me to add a Happy Fourth Of July thread.

Have a good one. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 05:17 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes happy 4th of July to all of you!! [Cool]

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 4th of July to you and I'm happy for the time and a half i get for working.

Now get out there and blow something up, it's the American way. [beer]

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 4th to all. We went downtown to see the fireworks. They were the best in years. We sit on one side of the river and the fireworks are set off from Battleship Park right next to the Battleship North Carolina. What a great setting and the the Coast Guard cutter was in home port also. WHat a great evening

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 4th to all, unfortunately the humidity killed a great display in town this year... eh, oh well! Ok just checking in, I hope all have had a good night on this independence day. OK then back to the party! [beer]

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for me or anyone any July 4th pranks? I'd put a few Black Cat firecrackers in a xenon or carbon arc lamphouse & let the heat set them off. Maybe some popcorn kernels? Put a spinning ground bloom onto the empty deck of a platter while it's turning & light the fuse. Stick a small gray colored smoke grenade-the ball shaped kind in the projector's picture head(OKAY,WHO BURNED OUT THE CHANGE OVER ZIPPER?) Tape three bottle rockets to a crappy plastic TES reel & watch it spin on the ground or on the rewind.Want to make a cheap smoking snake? A length of film coated in gunpowder or fireworks grade powder should do the trick.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-05-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be easier just to set the theater on fire the normal way. [Smile]

Anyway, instead of firecrackers in the lamphouse I'd just spray WD40 on the bulb itself while it was cool the night before, that way it REALLY explodes the next day. And the bulb will be gone. The joke will be on them and we'll all get together and laugh & share a beer.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-05-2003 02:36 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, um, how many of you spent the holiday at a theatre somewhere? I had a fun 14 hour shift at the Avon Cinema (pics in the gallery), which included five showings of "Whale Rider" plus another film as a midnight show.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-05-2003 05:00 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to San Diego harbor and watched the fireworks from a bridge. They were fired from two barges in the water. There were also fireworks on the other side at Sea World. They were OK, but not all too spectacular. Then 3 huge SDFD trucks thundered past us at about 80 miles with sirens and the trumpeting sound they make to scare cars out of the way. That was much more interesting. I could not see the fire though.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-05-2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 5th of July!!! Ok, so I know I'm a little late. Spent the day at a city-wide picnic where I earned the badge of a nice sunburn, went to a movie (Yes, on a holiday! Legally Blonde too!), and then TRIED to take pictures of the fireworks...I'm leaning how to use my camera...we'll see if they actually come out!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-05-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you have to wait to see how they come out I guess that means you're still using proper film. Congratulations, plus also to all for yesterday. I wish we could have had a public holiday, too (we don't get any from Easter until the end of August).

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time in years I wasn't working on the 4th of July in the evening.

Joe, remember Fiddler's Green?

I went to the Cloverdale fireworks display put on by the Lions Club. There were plastic donation pails set out to collect money. The display was held on the High School football field. The mortars were set up behind the goal post, on the warning track. The crowd control line was at the 30-yard line. That's where I sat, nice grass too. The announcer came on, thanked the Lions Club, encouraged the audience to donate and introduced a girl to sing the national anthem. She did a credible job too. Then the fireworks show commenced. It was twenty minutes of single shells followed by the finally barrage. The wind was towards the audience so the shells exploded directly above us. I got hit in the head by some shrapnel.

No it wasn't spectacular, but it was pretty good for a small town of 6,000 people. And I have never been so close to the lighting point.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-05-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a nice fireworks display in Seattle last night.

Boats crowded into Seattle's Lake Union last night against a colorful backdrop of fireworks forming into fountains, fans, hearts and smiley faces. Police estimated the crowd in Gas Works Park at 75,000 to 100,000. I was not one of them.

Matthew, I did something similar to one of your "pranks" in 1984. This one involved a Pacer Ticket machine. The rep was there setting one up for us when I snuck a plastic tube under the keyboard. While the tech was showing some of the girles how to use it, I was around the corner blowing cigarette smoke into the tube. When the smoke started billowing up from the underside of the keyboard, the tech went ape shit!!! He started yanking on power cords trying to shut it off.

Then he saw me...and what I was doing. He was not a very happy camper to say the least. Everyone thought it was hilarious...except him. [evil]

No sense of humor at all! [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-05-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -  -

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-05-2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never missed a Magic Islands fireworks show at the Ala Moana Beach Park in Honolulu since I was very impressed with the first one I saw about six years ago. The most impressive fireworks show I saw in my life was the one staged at Pearl Harbor during the world premiere of "PEARL HARBOR" on the aircraft carrier John Stennis a few years ago and last years 4th of July show was almost as good. The show seems to get better every year and I was looking forward to last nights show but had to miss it because I had a late afternoon family portrait assignment on the other side of the island of Oahu and did not finish until almost 6:00 PM. The 30 minute show starts at 8:30 every year but if you are not in the area by 4:30 in the afternoon, fat chance of ever finding a parking space! During the past years, I just took a comfortable lawn chair and my backpack loaded with my portable DVD player, DVDs, Bose Acoustic noise canceling headset, a box dinner and diet soda in a insulated container and I was all set. [Smile]

Belated Happy 4th of July to all of my fellow Americans!

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: