Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sam Hunter's Screening Room (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sam Hunter's Screening Room
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-03-2003 06:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
NICE JOB SAM! It rocks!

>>> Phil

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!
My screening went well last weekend, not a problem at all.
I still need to work on my lenses a little as my scope overshoots the screen but I found out the lens front glass will move forward so I adjusted it until I filled the screen with no overshoot and locked it down. My flat lens is a little long so it doesn't quite fill the screen as it is short on each side about 8 inches but I will live with it for now. I did find out that not all lens are made the same at least in the thread and size department. Its a bitch when you have to try and find an adapter that will mate one brand lens with a scope attachment. I also really need to find some RP40 to sharp focus my scope lens. I got it pretty decent now using a loop of the screen masking portion of a CAT251 jiffy test film. Got me close but I really need an RP40 to finish it. The 4 channel sound from my CP50 sounded just as good as anything that cinemark has to offer, or in my opinion it was good enough. One day I hope to upgrade to digital. Anyway, going to Missouri to pick up a couple more projectors so I want be around till Sunday.
Again thanks for the compliments as it makes my day. [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-03-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam's screening room looks great. What type of scope lens did you use and how did you set it up for the short throw (assuming that you're not using the latest Schneider lenses that will focus down to 20 feet)?

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Scott!
I am using a B-L Cinemascope attachment with the silver front and is modified for short throw use by extending the groove that the lens movement moves in and also cutting back the back of the internal lens housing. My prime lens is a 4 inch Sankor.
Anyway, It all works good.
By the way I am changing the name of my cinema from SDH Cinema to STAR Cinema that way I come come up with a neater graffic.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-04-2003 01:18 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the pictures, looks great Sam! Nice and clean, I'm sure your wife won't kick you out too soon. [Smile]

quote:
My flat lens is a little long so it doesn't quite fill the screen as it is short on each side about 8 inches.
That's OK Sam, you don't want to crop your flat image (on the top and bottom) anyway, right. [Wink]

edit: unless of course you're including the top and bottom as sides and they're a little 'short' too... in that case I'll just shut up! [Big Grin]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 01:32 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What th..?
In West Monroe, a screening room is a sleeping porch.
What's going on?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 08:48 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great, Sam. How long has it taken to get all that equipment together?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-04-2003 10:45 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a lot of theatre booths that don't look that good! Very impressive, Sam!

What happened to the home-brew pedestal you made a while back?

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 12:18 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, is that a Cavalier Coca-Cola vending machine in your booth? I'm guessing a CS-80C or D...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-04-2003 11:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes... is that also a "Mark of the Devil" vomit bag on the wall? Wish I'd kept a few of those. We used to have a carton full at my hometown theatre back in the 70s, but the employees used them all for popcorn.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tim,
Found you some mark of the devil bags!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3535078133&category=778

It took about two months to put together the whole thing, as some of it came from my old cinema [Wink]

Hillary, you are right about the Cavalier CS80 but you must be looking on my old cinema pics. Look on the sneak prevue for the new SDH cinema.

Bought two more BX80's as which I am rebuilding now, never can have too many. [Smile]

Thanks and enjoying all the compliments [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [thumbsup]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-07-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might I add, very nice job on the wiring [Smile]

Josh

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great commandeered-bedroom booth, Sam!

Enquiring minds want to know...how did you explain the subpanel to the city's electrical inspector? Subpanels in bedrooms aren't exactly a common sight...(well, neither are home theatres running 35mm!) [Big Grin]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 08:45 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live outside the city limits and am not subject to inspectors.
What would be wrong with this installation anyway codewise?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 08:51 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume that since a subpanel could be a source of fire and/or shock, it should not be located in a living area accessable to children or those unfamiliar with its risk.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: