Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Geek VS Nerd (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Geek VS Nerd
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-03-2003 12:12 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between a Geek and a Nerd
to my way of thinking they are the same thing. Do geeks like to be called geeks? How about nerds?

My repair company on Newport is called Computer Geeks.

Please educate me.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-03-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linkage!

quote:

Geeks

From the Jargon File entry for "geek":

"A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia. Most geeks are adept with computers and treat hacker as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves - and some who are in fact hackers normally call themselves geeks anyway, because they (quite properly) regard `hacker' as a label that should be bestowed by others rather than self-assumed."
Nerds

From the Jargon File entry for "nerd":

"Pejorative applied to anyone with an above-average IQ and few gifts at small talk and ordinary social rituals."

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-03-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, to help you understand the differences, I will give you some examples....

Daryl = God of all computers
Brad = cool guy
Phil = dork, geek and dweeb combined

I hope that helps!

>>> Phil

[edited by Moderator]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-03-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a Nerd eats "Cheetos" and a Geek eats "Doritos." [Smile]

They are related to "Buttholes"...and they suck canal water. [Big Grin]

Shit! I'm gonna get flamed on this one..... [Razz]

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always considered that social skills decrease and technical skills increase as you move from "normal" to dweeb to dork to nerd to geek. However these titles can only really be bestowed by others. Anyone who says "i'm going to be a geek" can only ever be a poser.
Some friends of mine insist that to be considered a geek you must be able to write code, but I do not subscribe to this theory (mostly because my coding skills are very very rusty.)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-04-2003 01:23 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I always have to bite the heads off chickens!?!

Anyway, while we're defining things:

jackass = Phil Hill

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 09:00 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the difference have anything to do with which side of your shirt your pocket protector (and pens) is/are on?

My own description: Ran the projector at school, did lots of science projects, and dabbled with electricity, was a loner with few friends. Had thick THICK glasses that caused problems with the bridge of my nose. Thick glasses are heavy. I never wore a pocket protector, but DID have a load of pens, etc.

I was a GEEK. The term NERD came along (here, anyway) when "Happy Days" started airing on TV. I stopped being a total geek about this time. I got my first contact lenses, and discovered that I had a knack for working on cars. I'll always be a closeted geek. I know my own feelings. [Smile]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-04-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought a Nerd eats "Cheetos" and a Geek eats "Doritos."
What if you like both???

quote:
Daryl = Geek
Brad = Nerd
Phil = Cool Guy

I'm glad for once I was kept out of Phil's dorky analogies! [Smile]

Phil = Dork

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-04-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I started out as a nerd, and became a geek.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-04-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachael, I think they are called dweebs.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-04-2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rach, you equate me to a dork? I'm NOT the one who had a picture here with bubbles emanating from God knows where....AND BTW, just what WERE you doing in that bathtub?

(There! Happy now?)

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2003 02:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I fixed your post above Phil. You had a typo. [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-04-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a dweeb?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-04-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me Mr. Robot man, too bad you don't have muscles like that in real life!!! Dork...

[Big Grin]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-04-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, here is a definition of dweeb.

dweeb:

Pronunciation: 'dwEb
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1983
slang : an unattractive, insignificant, or inept person.

Here is a definition of dork.

dork:

Pronunciation: 'dork
Etymology: perhaps alteration of dick
Date: 1967
slang : NERD; also : JERK 4

And, of course, we might as well define "jerk:"

jerk:

Pronunciation: 'j&rk
Etymology: probably alteration of yerk
Date: 1575
1 : a single quick motion of short duration
2 a : jolting, bouncing, or thrusting motions b : a tendency to produce spasmodic motions
3 a : an involuntary spasmodic muscular movement due to reflex action b plural : involuntary twitchings due to nervous excitement
4 : an annoyingly stupid or foolish person
5 : the pushing of a weight from shoulder height to a position overhead in weight lifting

[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: