Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Taxes refund 4 non-american tourists

Author Topic: Taxes refund 4 non-american tourists
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 06:11 AM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told all the products are charged with a tax different for every state.
If I´m a non-american tourist can I ask for a refund like happens with the VAT here in Europe for non-europeans tourists?.

Un saludo

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-03-2003 06:29 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel, the USA does not have a program to refund state taxes since each state and city district controls the revenue and laws. It is not as regulated as in the EU where the taxation is country wide. You will be in California with some of the highest state tax; if you go to Nevada the tax will be zero. Our state taxes at their worst are far less than the average VAT in Europe

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 07:22 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning a week or so in Canada shortly after Labour Day. Canada allows non-resident (foreign) visitors to obtain a refund of its GST. You have to spend at least $200 on lodging and/or $50 on goods to qualify.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-03-2003 08:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
"You have to spend at least $200 on lodging and/or $50 on goods to qualify."

And then stand in line and wait for hours to get a few dollars back!! If you spend several thousand it might be worth it......
Mark

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Richard and all of you.

I´ll do my shopping in Las Vegas. [Wink]

Un saludo

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-03-2003 12:35 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Nevada does indeed charge a state sales tax, as does Clark County (Las Vegas). Some comparisons:

CA, Los Angeles County: 8.25%
CA, Orange County: 7.75%
NV, Clark County: 7.25%

So Miguel will get a small break on purchases. Now if he wanted to work here, Nevada has no state income tax, at least for now.

https://www.thewestcoast.net/ssl/whcinnovations/13ge2_02.htm

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-03-2003 01:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, even if you are a US citizen or tourist and you travel to another state, there is a way for you to get a refund of your tax from the state you visit BUT the catch is that you have to pay the tax to your home state when you return.

Thus, if you get a refund you might end up paying more taxes when you return home. I might imagine that some foriegn visitors would end up paying more taxes upon their return home.

Way back in the day, I used to work at a TV store. We had many Canadians who came to the store to buy TVs and things because they were cheaper. However, they had to declare the items at the border and pay high taxes ON TOP of what they already payed.

When a person came to me that was from Canada, I would ring up the sale normally but then start a second transaction after the first was done. I would manually enter a price that was lower than the selling price. Then I would pull the receipt out of the printer and cancel the sale at the last second. The person would then have a sales receipt to show the border agents that had a substantially lower price, thus reducing their tax.

If you are nice to your sales person, I might imagine he/she would do the same thing for you if you asked. [Wink]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-04-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
States and local munincipalities have sales taxes to not just generate revenue from the locals, but from tourists as well. The sales tax is levied at the rate of the location it is sold in, if done in person, or if by mail or internet, theoretically, at the rate of the delivery point or customer point.

I do not see where any state would want to part with any sales tax or even provide a way to refund it to anyone if it was collected in accordance with the rules as laid out in the federal charter that provides for the free transport of goods and services across state lines without levy.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: