Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How To Make a Living of Projection

Author Topic: How To Make a Living of Projection
Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

I'm a house projectionist at a theatre in Toronto. I am finding it difficult to cut it financially and I was wondering how other people have solved this problem. I really enjoy this field but need to find a way to make it work for me. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-30-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Greg! I'm sorry, this probably isn't going to be what you wanted to hear, but take it from someone who has been there, and now regrets he didn't choose another field when he had the opportunity - before starting a family and having dependents.

I couldn't find a way to continue as a projectionist over 20 years ago. That's when I went into service. The job of projectionist has been "over" for at least a quarter-century now. By and large, the only remaining "good" jobs (if you can call $12 an hour good) won't be that way for long.

Further, since the service end of the business looks like it's headed in the same direction (becoming de-professionalized; the placing of unskilled, overworked, not-much-better-than-minimum-wage-paid workers to do the job, under often ridiculous circuit policies), I've been out of that since being laid-off of my last gig.

I have amassed a lifetime of skills useless to employers in other fields -- certainly not enough to make a liveable wage and support a family.

Please, get out now and gain an education in something with a future.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim is essentially right, but there might be a few options out there. Either way, I can't recommend a college education enough. You look young, and even if you are a few years out of high school, it isn't too late to get into school. If you want to get into the service end of the film exhibition game, get an electronics degree. No matter what, keep your options open. Decent paying projection jobs are few and far between, but there are a few places to look for them: Colleges with film programs (a few still run 35mm screenings for their classes), art museums that have a film and or multimedia element to their programming, and specialty screening facilities (for dailies, etc - there might be one or two in Toronto)

Gordon McLeod might be a good person to chat with. Look for him to pop into the Film-Tech chatroom.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers guys, a technician job would be great, it's just finding a place that needs one. I studied Computer Networking and Electronics in college but unfortunatly the computer field is dead aswell. Does anyone know of a technical company that I can apprentice under?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-30-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of the things that Tim and Joe stated above are right on the money. The chains are never going to pay what you are worth anymore, without you having to work every position. One problem you may have with college screenings is hours and budgets for programs. I have a friend that handles film services at a college and he tells me about cutbacks and things. The real money in projection is at specialty screening facilities. Like the studios, labs, post-production houses and the network screening rooms. It's not just knowing Flat or Scope, or SRD or DTS formats. You have to know all production film and video formats. I left the theatres because you could see the writing on the wall. The local was giving more away than they were keeping. I became a Studio Projectionist in Hollywood and after afew years was able to transfer to New York.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

I was in your position about a year ago. I really love doing projection work, but there's no future in it unless your doing something specialized ( IMAX, studio projectionist ). When I worked at the theater, I got talking to the union projectionist and he said don't even bother. He quit before the last negotiation because he saw the writing on the wall.

He suggested I check out the film production end of things as that is booming here in Vancouver, ( and in Toronto too ). You might wanna check into that, the pay is really good. I just have to get some experience before I can apply for a permittee.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-01-2003 01:46 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my suggestion to you is this. Look harder into the computer field. Get into the programing end of it. There are jobs out there but a lot of them want you to already have the experience. Try to find something that is entry level that you can work your way up into a better position. If you still want to run projection you can. Just treat it like a hobby in your spare time. A couple of days in the booth can cure the itch. Once you get it the itch will always be there. It's called loving the job more than the pay. Unfortunatly that will not pay all the bills.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been involved with software programming for almost 30 years now. I work for a large telecommunications company and the current trend is to send the programming and related support jobs "off-shore" where the work can be done cheaper. My advice these days is not to get into any profession that could be easily outsourced to another country to save money.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: