Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Star Wars Optical Printer F.S.

Author Topic: Star Wars Optical Printer F.S.
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-27-2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad but true and I suppose this was pre ILM equipment too.
Here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=628&item=2937101125

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-27-2003 09:12 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. 10 grand. I hope he can prove its the real deal. [Roll Eyes]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-27-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine anyone who could use this. Everyone pretty much composites digitally anymore.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't seem likely that this was used for Star Wars at least the way it appears in the picture with all film paths running vertically. VistaVision to 35mm 4-perf would require the camera head to be running one way while the projector heads the other--although not necessary horizontal projectors and vertical camera--it can be opposite of that if the image is going through sideways.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller has zero transactions in his feedback file. Not an encouragement for such an expense, and he gives no specs for
the parts included, as one would expect for such an item...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-27-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly it can be VistaVision, and probably other formats by changing optics and movements in the aeriel projectors and camera. The projectors are running vertically, thats all, and since the VV elements woulda been in the two projectors and the film in the camera at the far end, its probable that the film in the camera looped around and the movement was sideways 90 degrees to the projectors to expose the neg. These don't run very fast anyway as its all pin regestered.

The original Empire Vista Printer was on display in the lobby at ILM for a long time. Donno if it still is though.

On examination I found this printed in the upper corner of the picture....

-

Weather it was or was not used on Star Wars doesn't really matter much as it is sure a nice piece of machine work!
Mark

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 01:12 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody tell who manufactured this, or is it a custom job?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optical printers are rarely off the shelf items....Donno who made it, lots of custom printers have been built since the 20's. Looks to be built on an old large lathe bed. The lamphouse is obvuiosly old. Doesn't mean it isn't capable of churning out good images though....
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-28-2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that at first, Steve. But then it looked like the magazines were offset a bit, from top to bottom, so I figured it possibly could be VV.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago there was a special on the special effects for the star wars movie and they showed the optical printer and that kinda looks like it. However, bear in mind that was back in 77-78 and I have warped my brain once or twice since then. Maybe Jeff Joseph can shed some light on this.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once hosted cinematographer Richard Edlund of ILM (shortly after Episode IV was released) at a Rochester SMPTE section meeting. I recall the VistaVision cameras they used for the VFX had the logos from Oldsmobile "VistaCruiser" automobiles.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked the ebay link, and it came up as an invalid item [Frown]

Peter Eaves
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 05:35 PM      Profile for Peter Eaves   Email Peter Eaves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a picture of this printer but there were optical printer made on which the camera could be tilted 90 degrees to allow for VistaVision to 4-perf conversions. If anyone can post the picture I'd love to see it. I worked on such a machine in Pittsburgh some years ago. The printer was basically an Oxberry aerial head optical printer that had been converted by Boss Films in Marina del Ray, CA. The lamphouse was a standard halogen lamp with an tive color wheel for scene to scene color correction. Boss Films went out of business some years ago and the machine ended up in Pittsburgh. It could also be used for making 1:1 35mm opticals.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 12:36 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, it looks like this item and all of the seller's other items were pulled from auction. By whom or for what reason is a mystery as they just all disappeared....

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-06-2003 07:40 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn`t the original Empire printer Mark mentioned be the same as the original Star Wars printer? I recall reading they dug the machine up somewhere as it was the only equipment in those days which could do what they wanted. So I think it is rather more likely that they used the same machine again for Empire.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: