Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Domestic Suds With Old World Style"-?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Domestic Suds With Old World Style"-??
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The King of Beers wants to sell a taste of the Old Country.
Anheuser-Busch Cos. has introduced two new beers that it hopes customers will thinkof as imports, even though they are brewed right here in the U.S...."
Lead by Christopher Lawton, The Wall Street Journal, p.B-1,
June27, 2003

With its green bottle resembling Heinekin and brewed with imported hops, Anheuser World Select is marketed as a European stlye pilsner beer with a bitter profile.

"Bare Knuckle is a dark, heavy stout beer with a big head that will initially be available only in draft form at bars and restaurants--a strategy intended to give the fledgling beer greater cachet."
This is apparently an attempt to cut into the market for Guinness, originally (and still) imported from St. James Place, Dublin, but now brewed throughout the world. My retail beverage seller had only the Canadian brew during my last visit. I prefer the slightly more aromatic and flavorful Irish bottling, but it's getting harder to find.

The WSJ sees these new brews from A-B as an attempt to meet the tastes of younger, college-educated drinkers, dissatisfied with American national brands. They are designed to fit into the high-end market, $8.00 per six-pack or $4.00-$5.00 per pint.

I find most US nationally-distributed beers are watery, over-carbonated, under-flavored and are brewed too quickly and served too cold. Am I the only one who dislikes the metalic, tongue-stinging taste of canned beer?

Has anyone tried either of the two new Anheuser-Busch offerings? I'd be happy to learn your reactions to them.

|  IP: Logged

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried it and it was ok. I have drank many different types of beers, but to me it was like an import ripe off. Why pay $8 for a 6 pack when u can get a 12 for that. To me looking at the bottle knowing it is Budweiser but the taste is of an import, fools you. It was like when they did clear Pepsi. Telling the mind one thing but the taste is another.

quote:
Am I the only one who dislikes the metalic, tongue-stinging taste of canned beer?
Gerard, my friend would consider those fighting words. [Big Grin] He loves the Miller Light in a can, it has that ping taste he calls it. He only drinks Miller Light.

Gerard have you tried Red Strip, Molsen, Killans, Becks, New Castle those are some of my favorite beers. But I prefer Budlight.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy a good old regular Budweiser now and then, but it has to be in a longneck bottle (or draught if I'm in a restaurant or tavern). Maybe an occasional Coors. Can't stand Miller, have never liked it.

In this neck of the woods, microbrews are very big. Probably the most popular bottled micros come from Deschutes Brewing located in Bend, OR. They run ~$7.00 a sixpack. Their "Mirror Pond" ale is nectar of the gods!! [Smile] "Black Butte Porter" is a very dark, bitter brew -- very potent. [beer] I've never had anything from Deschutes that I didn't like.

Haven't heard of or tried these new A-B brews, but will be on the lookout for them now that I know. [Big Grin]

EDIT: Composing this post was hard work, made me thirsty. So right now I'm enjoying a bottle of "Cinder Cone Red" amber ale, 5.8% alcohol. Another one from Deschutes Brewery. Magnificent!!! [beer]

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,
Of the brews you've named I've only tasted Beck's, which was
pretty good, but I prefer Heinekin, both regular and Dark.

David,
I drank at a brew-pub in a town near Boston, and tried three of their draft offerings, which were very good, with hearty foam and body. The Boston area bottled Sam Adams beers are also better than most national brands, to my taste. Have the brew-pubs disappeared, or are they still around? The one near Boston had huge copper brewing kettles, and a clean ambiance like a modern London pub.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Eugene there are probably 6 or 7 good brewpubs that brew right on the premises. McMenamin's runs a chain of brewpubs in the Pacific Northwest, and their beer is generally very very good -- I think they have 3 locations in Eugene. They usually have at least 1 beer offered on "nitro" tap rather than the usual carbon dioxide (I guess). The nitro tap gives it a smoother head, kind of creamy, and also tastes different. There happens to be a very good brewpub literally right next door to where I work. [Big Grin]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 03:57 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I can't get a good beer I won't take second best. I'll drink soda or nothing at all.

The only time I'll drink domestic is when we go into some place that we know doesn't have another kind but you are "expected" to drink something.

For instance, if you go into a "Redneck Bar", you order Budweiser. Don't ask questions. Just drink the Bud. If you're a stranger in a strange place and you know they only serve "regular" beer it's better just to blend in. Virtually nobody will fault you for drinking Budweiser.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Budweiser, Coors and the like I will touch...only if i is free! YUCK!

While in England, I fell head over heals for the great ales in small English Pubs....high in Malt, resulting in that subtle beach-nut flavor with no hopps related bitter finish. They also have a higher alcohl content...YAHOO [beer] ! The only thing that I have found in the U.S. that closely resembles what I so dearly miss is Guiness....but damn, its expensive....what is it, gold or something [Big Grin] ? But the trick to drinking Guiness is to keep is cold and constantly agitate it while drinking. Like good wine, the agitation brings out the aroma and taste.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the South we have Hops. They brew their own beer. They have 4 flavors, I think. I've tried 2 and i can compare them to Killans and Bud light.

My friend is from Pennsylvania and when he came down he brought a beer called Yuemgling. Its a lager portered, dark, kind of like Guinness. A great beer. I think it has become my favorite, but you can only but in Pennsylvania. [Mad] Has anyone here tried Yuemglings?

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you mean Yingling. The bar across the street from the theatre has it on tap and occasionally I'll get a mini-pitcher with the other operators. IMHO, Yingling is good, but not great. Its brewed in the eastern part of the state and is a favorite among Penn State students and alumni. If anyone catches the program "Modern Marvels" on the History Channel, Richard Yingling is interviewed for episode on breweries.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-28-2003 06:08 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a couple of brewpubs here, including Gordon Biersch a small national chain. I like their delivery trucks, which have printed on them an advisory: "Driver carries no taps."

Regarding Guiness, as Will mentioned temperature is important--if it's served too cold (as is often the case in the US) it develops an edge that takes away from its smoothness. My friend and video engineering/locomotive/brew mentor Bob Cadigan has a means for dealing with that. At the pub we ask for pint glasses that are right out of the dishwasher--the warm glass combined with the too-cold Guiness produces the perfect temperature, basement cool but not ice cold. Perfect, but of course this leads Americans to claim that the British like their beer "warm." Which reminds me of my car mechanic's bumper sticker: "The British drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators." [Big Grin]

Back from the long off-thread detour: Guess I'll have to try the new AB stuff. No high expectations though...

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I thought that was how to spell it also, but as i was typing i was talking to my friend and he spelt it out to me.

Want to ship me a case.... [Big Grin] [beer]

-edit-

yuengling

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada we have many micro breweries and also some small sized ones as well
I like
Rickards Red
Alexander Kieths IPA
Brick Waterloo Dark
Connors best bitter

Bud, Blue, Coors, Canadian [puke]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about Molson XXX? At 7.3% per can, a whole six pack of that leads to an night of fun.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Budweiser aka 'Butt-wiper' is, as far as I'm concerned, nastiness in a bottle / can. [Razz]
I won't drink it, the 'Beast Ice', or most other mass-produced beers from the north american continent!

I'm not too big of a fan of beer, but, every now and again, I enjoy some Newcastle, Guinness, or occasionally even Harp or Bass. [Big Grin] [beer]

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in California a couple of weeks ago, I had some Rasputin Stout, made by the North Coast Brewery in Fort Bragg. Served at "cellar" temperature, cool but not chilled, it was very tasty.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: