Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » US Do Not Call Registry (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: US Do Not Call Registry
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The US Government's Do Not Call Registry is up and running. Go to www.donotcall.gov to register your phone numbers and cut down on the telemarketing calls.

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to be overloaded at this time. It started loading and never finished. Imagine how many people are trying to register phone numbers at this time. I'll probably wait until I start getting telemarketer calls again before registering. I changed my phone number last November and got into a new, obscure exchange and have received only one telemarketer call. I've yet to receive one on my cell phone.

I fear that registering may get me on the lists to receive calls from the telemarketers that are exempt, so I'll wait a bit.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 12:03 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had an unlisted number from the start, so we get very few calls. Any we do get usually have that "blank" period at the beginning, and I don't wait.

My response when I do get them is to politely say, "I'm not interested" and hang up. I don't understand this obsession in America about taking phone calls. It's my house and my phone, so if I don't want to talk with you I won't.

Also, I put Caller ID in about 3 years ago, and it is well worth the excessive amount of money that SBC/Ameritech want. I have read the one of the requirements of the DO NOT CALL list legislation is that sellers are not allowed to block Caller ID.

I think it would be great if more people in the US choose to be ON the list than are off. I doubt it will happen, as many people won't even know it exists, but it would be nice to see.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question... If someone signs up on this list and then changes their number, what happens to the original number? Is the phone company required to make sure the old number comes back off the list again?

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 01:12 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
That's an interesting question. One other thing I would like to know is how long does a phone company wait to reissue a number to a different client. I am guessing that as time goes by, that period shortens. The Do Not Call registration lasts for a period of five years, so barring anything else, any number would rever to a call list after the five years are up.

As an annoying sidebar, when we received our phone number, in our newly built townhome, we started and continue to get phonecalls, both sales and personal, it would seem, for the previous holders of our phone number. I am guessing the turnaround for that number was way too short.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kept getting calls from a collection agency for someone who didn't even live here. Since it was a collection agency, of course they wouldn't believe me if I told them the guy wasn't here or didn't live here anymore, so they kept calling to get ahold of him.

It finally stopped when I told them to check the [expletive] phone listings and see that this [expletive] person doesn't live here, and threatened them with a harassment lawsuit. [Smile]

=TMP=

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-27-2003 07:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I added my number to the list, and had little problem in getting through to the website. CNN reports the site is getting 108 hits every second, so I guess that is a lot of traffic.

It would be nice if there were a way to add business phone numbers to this list (I assume the "do not call" list only applies to residential numbers). Today, we had some scumbag call up pretending to be an employee of the International Sign Association (our sign company is a member of this organization). He gets by our front desk only to turn out to be some asshole selling bill collection services. I think some of the most callous, dishonest people breathing air are bill collectors. They must be sociopaths with no ability to feel anything to do the crap they do.

Anyway, that really inspired me to go ahead and register. I had been mulling it over, thinking about the overall toll it will have against the advertising industry. But that liar pretty well convinced me the direct phone marketing thing needs to die. Perhaps some of that money saved on phone marketing might give some struggling graphic artists a few jobs and breathe more life into print layout.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-27-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't agree with you more, Bobby. It needed to die 15 years ago.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-27-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that this is available, we just need a "no email spam" list. Of course this should be punishable with a $1 million fine to the receiver of each email as well as full life in jail, with no possibility of early release.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as the New York State "Do Not Call" registry was set up, thanks to our politicos up in Albany, I registered our two home lines. It took several months before the ban became noticeably effective, but then telemarketing calls stopped. Most annoying were the scams pretending to collect money for the orphans of policemen killed in the line of duty. (They gave the feeling the
callers were policemen, but when I asked their precinct and badge numbers, they had to admit they weren't.) Now we only get calls from the local papers selling subscriptions once and a while. A weakness of this state registry is that it only applied to members of the National Telemarketing Association, and didn't apply to non-profit organizations, but those groups soon stopped calling also.

I just finished registering our home and office phones (and even our FAX #--it couldn't hoit!) online. It took only a couple of minutes, but the confirmation emails have not yet
arrived.

I'm hoping it will work with our FAX machine, which is the expensive waster of office time, facility, film and paper.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-27-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine registered. [Smile]

I wonder how the telematketers are going to modify their "randum generated numbers" program in their computers? I can hear them howl now....

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 02:20 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my number registered.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 03:50 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]I have read the one of the requirements of the DO NOT CALL list legislation is that sellers are not allowed to block Caller ID./QUOTE]

Frequently, they buy telco circuits that don't lend themselves to Caller ID right out of the box. It's a way they can block thier number without specifically buying a blocking feature or activating it by dialing a code.

Another thing they seem to like, IF their numbers do pass ID is to buy a bunch of lines, powerdial the crap out of them for a few days, then disconnect them and get new lines. When you try to track down the original number, they're long gone.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 04:18 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else been having trouble registering from the Do Not Call list?

I've tried about 3 times now within the last 2 days to register my home number but the system won't send me the necessary email confirmation. And I'm smart enough to know I am entering my email address correctly. [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-28-2003 05:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up for the Texas No Call list last fall and haven't received a single telemarketing call since. Best couple of bucks I've ever spent! Anyway, I would assume the website servers are getting one heck of a beating from everyone trying to register their names. I would recommend you bookmark the site and do it in a couple of weeks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: