Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Poll: How many messages do you have in your inbox? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Poll: How many messages do you have in your inbox?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 08:42 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I was bad with between 2000 and 4000 messages in my inbox (just because I'm typically both a pack rat and somewhat unorganized both with email and in real life). But the other day I came across one of my users who had 22,863 messages in her inbox! Those are unorganized messages sitting in the top level of her email that have not been sorted into folders. That HAS to be some kind of a record! At least here, it would be. Can anyone top that?

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 09:33 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On UNIX systems, my messages don't stay in my inbox after I read them, so I typically have less than 5.

At work, since we have Microsoft Exchange Server, the way our stuff works, messages stay in the Inbox after being read, unless deleted. Logging in now for the first time today, I see 7 unread messages in my Inbox, with 48.2 MB of mail in it. There are 1156 messages counting the 7 unread ones. Every few months, I go in and delete all messages older than 3 to 6 months. Otherwise, the size would increase linearly with time.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 09:42 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have about two thousand altogether, with about six hundred of those at the root level at the moment, mainly ones that don't seem to fit anywhere, so I can't decide where to file them. I archive and purge about every six months, the archive goes onto CD. I'm overdue for a filing and archiving session, but too busy to do it at the moment. There are other staff here whose inboxes are even worse than mine.

We don't have Exchange at the moment, so all my Outlook stuff is sitting in a .PST file, it's 40.6MB at the moment.

I keep nearly all non-junk mail for at least six months. Junk gets deleted as soon as I see it, but tends to stay in deleted items for a few days before I finally purge it.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel much better now. I have about 1000 or so right now. I check mail on three different computers and leave any personal (Non-Spam) messages on the server so that I can get them on my main computer. That often leaves a lot of unsorted messages on my computer. I go through them periodically, but by the time I get to it, it becomes a long and annoying task.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, thanks guys, I forgot to mention the size. 695 MB is the size of her email file.

We're using Novell GroupWise here, and it doesn't seem to have slowed down any for her. Even when she opens her mail from across the WAN.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-27-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been ruthless about keeping up with email. At my last "real" job we used MS Outlook with Exchange Server and I never had more than ten emails sitting unfiled in the inbox. I did have dozens of folders for all of the projects I was working on at any given time. About every six months or so I'd archive completed projects to floppies. I used to get comments and compliments from that company's IT department about my mail. [Big Grin]

Now I just have Hotmail but still never have more than a couple of emails in my inbox, with plenty of folders for hobbies and (very [Frown] ) occasional free-lance projects.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually have very few in my inbox....I check email at least 3 or 4 times a day and, and on each of my computers (I use 4 different ones, depending on where I am) I file ruthlessly. I also have a folder called "stuff to keep" in which I keep miscellaneous important stuff. The rest gets deleted. And about every six months I go thru my "stuff to keep" folders and delete about 90% of the stuff which turned out to be not all that important.

My job isn't email-centered though, so I don't get as much as some of you guys obviously do.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 12:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically around 200...every so often I move the important ones to another folder

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-27-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just cleaned out my inbox and I think I have 2 in there right now, and about 60 or so in 'other' folders. I try to keep it small considering I have a space limit! [Smile]

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have 15 right now [Frown]

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont have any [Frown] [Frown] not even junk email.
Any one want to send me one [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-27-2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It drives me nuts having e-mails in my inbox that I've already read. I generally try to take care of any that require my immediate attention; or if the e-mail has some information I think I might need later (like an address or a phone number) I'll ask myself "Will I actually call that person? When will I ever send that person somethign in the mail???" and usually I'll delete it... it's not like I can't ask for it again when the time comes.

Right now I have maybe 10 things in my in box at home... maybe 20 here at work just because I'm being lazy and posting to Film-Tech instead of printing up and dealing with my work related stuff.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-27-2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A dozen or so at home and only three at work (since I just started today). Usually, I just deal with each message and file it away immediately. In other news, I have received 3095 spam messages since June 1 which have been kept out of my inbox thanks to Spamassassin. [thumbsup]

My preferred mail client is Pine, which I run on Solaris workstations both at work and at home.

At a previous job, we had one user (the company CEO, of course) who had a 250-meg mail spool. She never deleted anything and then complained when her IMAP client was slow. Grr.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-27-2003 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm lets see.....

<Fires up "mail.app" from the terminal like a true geek>

216 mesages.
Checking for new mail...
Featching headers...
218 messages.

Lets check the Mac OS X spam filter.
281 messages, 160 unread.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: