Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » General Motors Issues A Recall Of 254,000 2000-2003 Saturn L-Series Cars. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: General Motors Issues A Recall Of 254,000 2000-2003 Saturn L-Series Cars.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-24-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another quality control problem? This recall is about several things:

1. The recall is to correct an engine problem that has led to fires. The recall is to replace ignition modules and spark plugs. Apparently, Some of these vehicles may misfire, which could lead to failures in the exhaust system. If the initial condition is not fixed and the vehicle continues to be driven, there could be further damage to the brakes, fuel sustem, or other components. Continued driving could result in a car fire.

2. Also slated in the recall is reprogramming of the power train control module.

I wonder if this is another case of "Let's get it on the streets and worry about making it work later."

I read that Ford had a failure like this some time ago, where the engine continued to backfire but it was driven anyway. Eventually, the catalytic converter spit out hot sparks and set the right-of-ways along the highway on fire. Eventually, the engine quit, the car caught fire and was destroyed by that fire.

If I recall correctly, this happened in Wisconsin.

Somewhere I have heard the auto manufacturers are well aware of their design engineering problems, but it is cheaper to "let it go" and face the recall. By time the recall might happen, most of the vehicles are on the junk pile anyway.

Wasn't there a major class-action suit on Ford's Pinto with the exploding gasoline tank? And wasn't there a class action suit on General Motors pick-up trucks about the gasoline tank rupture in event of a side collision?

I wonder about this....quite often. [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-24-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the infamous Pinto lawsuit involved a car that pulled out onto a highway in front of a van traveling at 50+ mph and got rear ended. Is anything supposed to survive that?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-24-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Steve...it did shorten the wheelbase slightly... [Big Grin]

I don't think the Pinto was unsafe as many said it was. The biggest think I didn't like about it is that it was grossly under-powered. I had one once, and it was a mere re-enforced Budweiser Beer Can.

Most Ford products I am aware of have the gasoline tank relocated to give it some protection from a rear-end collision.

I think GM's pick-ups were not any worse than Ford's Gran Torino or Mercury Montego station wagons of the same basic vintage. The fuel tank had no protection at all, just like the GM trucks. GM got caught...Ford didn't. That's the only difference.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 12:23 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without debating the specifics of the lawsuit, whatever it took to get those fugly Pintos out of production was ethically & morally justifiable.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-25-2003 01:06 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, William. I gave that old Pinto away (complete with an asbestos suit) just to get that under-powered hunk of crap out of my face. [Smile]

Bt the way, I read some time ago the Late Henry Ford II was arrested in Los Angeles during a automotive convention. He was arrested for driving while intoxicated. The LA police noticed a Pinto going the wrong way on a one way street. When he was arested, they asked him what his name was. After the dust settled, a Ford Motor Company spokesperson had "No Comment."

I forgot what year that was....but it was shortly before the Pinto finally went out of production. Maybe some of you guys remember reading that.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had anything except bad times with Fords (wow, look at all of the negative words in that sentence... "never", "bad", "Fords"). Everyone I know has had troubles with every single Ford they have owned as well. I, for one, will not buy an American car simply because they are not built as well nor as reliable. That really isn't debatable. Once America starts making the majority of their vehicles reliable, safe, and well and prove it by keeping it up for a decade, then I will buy an American car again.

Until then, my 2003 Honda Civic EX will last me. And I never even have to change oil, gas, air filters, engines, nothin'. It runs on magic. In all honesty however, over 400 miles on 11.5 gallons of gas driving around town with the air conditioner on is pretty damn good.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-25-2003 05:42 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ford was a really bad anti-semite who received a decoration from Hitler and made a lot of money from his shares in German machine factories - even when Germany and the US were already at war.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-25-2003 06:44 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the fuel tank stories on GM pick ups. Several years ago after getting wind of fires when vehicles with tanks mounted outside frame rail were struck from the side, one of the tv networks tried to male it happen by ramming these trucks in that area. After many attempts that didn't even result in spilled gas they rigged an explosive device to rupture the tank and ignite the fire. They ran stories showing this on the evening news. After they were found out they made many apologies and retractions. It turned out that these trucks had only a very slightly higher incidence of fire than those with tanks mounted inside frame rails. Even the NHTSA deemed it insignificant.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 06-25-2003 08:27 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone cares, the process by which these decisions is made is referred to as "Risk Management" and it is done on a routine basis every day. Basically a company says (unofficially, within a super-secret subcommittee) "We have a problem with our product. It will cost us 20 Million dollars to do a recall and fix it. If it fails and kills someone (ormilar) they could sue us and get several million dollars. The liklihood of this happening is 10 in a million chances - let's not do the recall and take the risk - it will be cheaper."

Within large companies there are whole departments that are just there to analyze these risks and recommend such decisions to the board.

Another little-known example they taught us in marketing class is about Tab cola. Back in those days it was one of the higher selling colas because it only had one calorie. It really didn't. It had something like 40 calories, but it only cost them $250,000 a year to pay the fines for false advertising, and that was far less than their potential losses if they lost market share...

This has been marketing 101 for Wednesday, June 25th....

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Saturn assembly plant here in Tennessee is about an hour away from my house. I remember in 1993 or 94, me and my ex-wife had just bought a new Saturn SL2 when they very first came out. Back then, owning a Saturn was kind of like owning a Gateway 2000 computer. Kind of hip and trendy. Not so anymore. Anyway, we got a recall notice about a month later on her car that the wrong type of anti-freeze was installed at the factory, and we could return the car for a new one. Instead of replacing the anti-freeze, they replaced the entire car! It made the national news... because Saturn took all of these cars back to the factory in Spring Hill, parked them in a field and then crushed them to insure they wouldn't be back on the road.

My new wife (of almost 6 years now) drives a 93 Saturn with almost 200k miles on it. With the exception of the headliner falling and a leaking sunroof, it's been a great little car.
It does need a new valve cover gasket.. but that's about it.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 11:33 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a little late, but the Ford Pinto issue was more than a lawsuit. It was the first time a corporation was charged with murder in a criminal court because they knowingly placed an unsafe car in the marketplace. They were found not-guilty. As for Henry Ford driving drunk in a pinto? I find it very hard to believe that he drove that car EVER!

Having a father that was a Ford Dealer for 32 years gives me a little insight..besides telling me to go run a theatre. The reason American automobiles are more poorly constructed is that we comparative to income pay less for our cars than other countries. As impossible as it sounds. Also most countries do not have room for junkyards and their governments place sanctions on companies that produce a failing product. As of the 2002 model year the only domestic car that had a "design life" of over 10 yrs. 100k mis. was the Lincoln LS with 150k design life. BTW it is built on a Jaguar platform.

The trend is changing though. Domestics have lost so much market share they are getting considerably better. In fact Ford is producing at least 6 cars on the Mazda 6 platform in the next 2 years. Crysler is changing many of it's cars to rear wheel drive again due to the Mercedez influence. As for European autos Audi is built better than all... my brother stayed in the car bus. and works with foreign autos on the service end.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-25-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As of the 2002 model year the only domestic car that had a "design life" of over 10 yrs. 100k mis. was the Lincoln LS with 150k design life.
Ouch!

Ever car that I've owned has had over 100k miles, until I bought my current one (1996 Volvo station wagon which now has just over 71k miles) in February. My previous car (a 1990 Volvo station wagon) had about 186k when I sold it. It ran fine, but was going to need $1200 worth of work soon and I couldn't justify spending $1200 on a car that was worth maybe $1500. I expect to keep my current car for at least five years and will probably put another 80-100k miles on it in that time. I know that Volvo station wagons aren't exactly "chick magnet" cars, but they are practical for me and I've been quite happy with the quality of the two that I've owned. Definitely a step up from the 1985 Pontiac station wagon that I had before then (sold it in the late '90s with 144k miles on it).

I know relatively little about the mechanical aspects of cars, but from an economic point of view I have a hard time understanding why so many people want to buy "new" cars when there are so many good used ones for sale with low mileage for significantly lower prices.

Barry--why would Saturn replace the whole car when they could have just replaced the antifreeze? Was it just a marketing stunt?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-25-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK now youve done it! I have to defend ford here.

First of all, EVERY car maker has crappy product, not just ford. Ford does not have the worst record either. When it comes to trucks, the number of ford trucks vs every other truck that remains on the road after ten years is 2 to 1.

The ford taurus was also the first american made car to recieve all five stars in crash tests from all angles.

While there have been plenty of setbacks, the new head of Ford, Bill Ford Jr. has revamped operations to make safer, longer lasting, and less costly vehicles. His efforts in the past two years have let to a 6 percent increase in market share, and a whopping 40 percent decrease in vehicle recalls.

Note that a 40 percent decrease in vehicle recalls does not mean that they are just refusing to issue them. ON the contrary, they are issuing recall notices as fast as they can process them.

Remember it was the Ford/Firestone fiasco that led to hundreds of Explorer turnovers and many deaths. Ford was on the brink of elimination and bankruptcy when Bill Ford Jr. Stepped in to make Ford a respectable auto company.

As for quality control, it is always easy to say that they are just rushing them as fast as possible to road without proper QC. However how can you really know what is going to happen until you get those models on the road? The lab and the real world are quite different. It takes several months of hundreds if not thousands of users to find defects over a period of months or years.

later this year you will see the new Mustang, loaded with safety features, and one hell of a powerful engine, and a really sleek new look that brings the old mustang look into the new age.

The pinto is dead, lets leave it dead. The pinto should not be the defining factor of a car maker, when they have so many other things to be proud of.

I mean really, no one ever talks about your cousin fred who happens to be a fighter pilot and just once fucked a goat as bieng fred the goat fucker now do we?

Dave

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-25-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don is corrrect about the "risk management" idea. I read that some time ago, and I was aware of it when I made my post. However, I was not able to write it as good as Don did, so I skipped it.

Barry, I read about the Saturn and its anti-freeze problem, and that they did replace the entire car. However, I was not aware of those cars being destroyed to get them out of circulation.

Henry Ford II did get nabbed for DUI while he was driving the Pinto. It made national attention. I wish I could remember the date that happened, and what media I read that in....but it certainly was not a sleezoid magazine...

Scott, Saturn was very proud of their product. It is my understanding that for years, Saturn didn't want anything to do with GM.

Joe, those Hondas seem to run forever. They are good cars. I bought mine out of the junkyard that were wrecked. I hung a fender and door on several of them, and drove them for a thousands of miles. I either gave them away when they were worn out, or sold them.

Personally, I had good luck with Fords, with exception of a few "dogs" such as that damn Taurus. What a POS! I think I will donate it, or call Billy Buttram (who owns a junk yard) and tell him to haul it off my property.

GM eats shit! I have one now.....it was a sorry day in hell that I bought that hunk of crap.

I guess Ford's Crown Victoria is a good machine. The city police, county sheriffs and the state patrol drive those things....and they love them. They dumped the Chevrolet Craprice line in favor of the Vics. They were having too many problems with the Chevrolets. Jack might remember some of the news articles about them....like cracked frames, brake problems, etc.

By the way, Billy's surname is correct. Buttram. I am not kidding.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-25-2003 02:20 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ford had the Pinto. GM had Chevy Vega. Chrysler had those abominable K-Cars. Toyota's early 6-cylinder engines were notoriously unreliable. Honda Oddyssey vans go through transmissions like most people change their socks. There's plenty of examples of bad products from just about all the major car companies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: