Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wow a reason to acutally buy a ticket to Sinbad. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wow a reason to acutally buy a ticket to Sinbad.
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-06-23-shrek-rom_x.htm

I wonder just how many of these disk we are going to have left and what will DreamWorks want us to do with them? I bet a number of them will show up on Ebay.

Even with this noboby is going to see Sinbad. Pirate movies do not make money and despite the special effects, the same is going to hold true for Pirates of the Caribbean. There are only two "Pirate" movies that I have ever like Hook and Muppet Treasure Island.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how everyone in the world knows that pirate movies always flop; yet, pirate movies continue to be made. What causes this? [Confused]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-24-2003 02:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like pirate movies. Especially the ones with big sailing ships in them. (Are there any without sailing ships?)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that the studio knows they are up against hard competition, yet they still release right alongside it. Why they cannot spread out their good releases throughout the year still baffles me. Just look how long of runs the original Matrix had. Titanic, etc.

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....I did some quick research on the "Pirate This Film" website, https://www. ptf.com. and it turns out that the "least" pirated, bootlegged, or counterfitted films and cd's are Pirate movies and Pirate Movie Sound Tracks.
Now, the website went on to say that the reason for this is simple. Pirates, or bootleggers or what ever you want to call them are very superstious and paranoid people and it turns out that it is considered really bad luck to pirate a Pirate movie or any movie with the word Pirate in the title.
.......now the good part, may i suggest that someone reputable, like John P. approach Jack Valente with this simple solution to the pirating, bootlegging, etc. problem.

Its all in the name of your movie, do you see where were going with this Joe, Hollywood needs to hire some creative writer types to work the word Pirate into the title of every new movie made, from now on, and the illigitimate copying of movies, cd's, and even software, will stop overnight.

Now for the really fun part, Who can be creative and come up with some Pirate titles for existing movies:

For Example:
Pirates Die Another Day
You've got Pirated mail
True Lies of a Pirate
The Cast Away Pirate
The Sound of Pirated Music
Rosemary's Baby Pirate
Pirates Die Hard (part 1)
Saving Pirate Ryan (sorry, got carried away)
The Pirate of the Opera (sorry again)
The Odd Pirate Couple
What Women Want, Pirates
Pretty Woman Pirate
Three Men and a Baby Pirate
Honey, I Shrunk the Pirate's Kids (this could be good)
The General's Pirate Daughter
Pride and Prejudice and Pirates (maybe for the A & E channel)
The Last Pirated Picture Show
What Lies Beneath a Pirate
Band of Pirate Brothers (made for TV movie)
[Wink]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One reason pirate movies don't do so well is because they were crap to begin with. Hook was realy just another name for Peter Pan. I think Pirates of the Carribean and Sinbad have a good chance at the box office. A lot will be word of mouth. Sinbad has potential because Dreamworks picks it's movie productions well. They don't just go for anything. I think with todays technology applied to Pirate of the Carribean will make it a must to see just to see if the whole pirates and ships on the sea can be made believable.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2003 07:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pirating pirate movies is the BEST! I like to pirate them TWICE just because. Actually no one ever pirates pirate movies because they suck. If they were to make a pirate movie about modern day pirates (no sailing ships, just broadband internet connections... and eye patches, of course) then I bet it would sell to almost 30% capacity in many auditoriums. But the word "pirate" HAS to be in the title. Or maybe Sinbad or Johnny Depp should have computers in their personal cabins on their "pirate ship". Go down to the cargo hold and it is full of warez and MP3s. That would rock. I'd see it. [Smile]

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of pirating software, music, etc., does anyone know where I could buy a quality Jolly Roger? Not a cheap paper type thingy but a full 3' x 5' durable, flyable flag. Eye patches are easy, but finding a flag seems to be tougher. Looking at my hard drive somedays just makes me think I should have one on the wall above the computer. [Smile]

- Mike

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 02:15 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'd be easiest to find by searching in connection with marine (boating) suppliers, hmm...

http://piratescove.safeshopper.com/60/cat60.htm?672
http://store.yahoo.com/gun-sword/aac-28.html
http://pirateflag.homestead.com/

Woo hoo, I have become the John Pytlak of Jolly Roger links!

When I had a beach house, when the hurricanes came & all the sweat of boarding the windows, lashing all the moveables, securing everthing that weighed less than a tree, etc. was done, the last thing was to go out & raise the Jolly Roger on the pole at the end of the pier and direct technical language toward the hurricane. I made mine, belligerently & quickly; looking at it months afterwards in operation I realized that the crudity of the flag gave it that 'somebody doesn't give a [fu] & is dangerous' look that the originals must have had working for them. By the 2nd hurricane season, it really had some cred & ugly working for it. Those 'made' flags on the commercial sites to me seem to have a sort of precious look to them.

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....come on, lighten up Bill, Mike was only kidding!

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 04:10 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Shrek" disc is a poor way to get people to buy a ticket. It's like putting a trailer on the end of the movie or coming out wih Special edition prints. Give me abreak. Half the people will not even bother to put the disc in anyways.

I'm in the minority, I like Pirate movies. I'm excited about "Pirates of the Caribbean". I don't understand why they choose Johnny Depp to be a pirate. That is not his type of role. As for "Sinbad" it's a cartoon. So to me that is not really a pirate movie.

The best pirate movie is "Treasure Island" and the "Return to Treasure Island", not sure if the 2nd was called that.

What I wish for Hollywood to do is release is a movie about knights and wizards. There aren't many movies about that. "Willow" was great, and now that "Lord of the Rings" genre can make money. I hope Hollywood sees that people will see a movie about knights and castles and wizards. George R.R. Martin's series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are perfect for a movie. Great book, better than Tolken's.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 03:56 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
come on, lighten up Bill, Mike was only kidding!
OH? OH? And doesn't everyone need a pirate flag at some point?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How bad is this Sinbad tanking? Yesterday the Destinta Theatre in New Windsor NY was giving away the Shrek CD-ROMs with tickets to Finding Nemo. [Wink]

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weekend estimates show Sinbad opening in sixth place with an estimated $6.8 million from Friday to today (I've always enjoyed that the fact that weekend estimates come out when the weekend is only 2/3 over.) Estimated gross since opening on Wednesday is $10 million.

Pirates Movies of 2003: 0
The Rest O' The Industry: 1

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-07-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished listening to it. Gives me every reason to avoid the Shrek 4D attraction.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: