Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » warner bros. piracy hysteria (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: warner bros. piracy hysteria
Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 04:08 AM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anybody else getting fed up with the dire warnings on front of Matrix ? We have a FACT warning then a sneak on your neighbours camcorder warning then the UK censor certificate (all silent) . Since the film was on internet before UK release from Warners own computer whats all the fuss about? We also had special seals on the cans, lock the projection room, have staff always watching the audience for camcorders and not forgetting a demand that cinemas search patrons entering! FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!! I think that all film-techers are responsible people who try to put a good show on and look after the prints while they are in our possession. I was looking for an appropiate cd track to play while I am running the above silent titles, after a quick look at home I found "Don't Treat Me Like A Child" by Helen Shapiro from 1961 so I will play it tonight. Can anybody think of any other tracks which might be better?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2003 04:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone is a criminal and WB knows this. Fortunately these safeguards that WB is using will stop all piracy 100% and they will be able to make at least a billion more dollars. Piracy is the worst crime on the planet, far worse than rape, murder, mass genocide, whatever. Remember, the movie industry only made a 4 billion dollar profit last year, and that is not acceptable. If it weren't for piracy, they'd probably at least made $100 to $200 more than that. The fact is that EVERYONE who watches a pirated movie would have PAID to see the movie anyway. Pretty soon there will be no more movies made thanks to the internet, and we'll all die.

(If you haven't figured it out, everything above was not meant to be taken seriously... except for the 4 billion profit part... that is fact!)

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 04:41 AM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Joe, a lot of this piracy would not exist if the film companies did not charge rip-off prices for DVDs and audio cds . Most of the films have recouped their cost and are into profit when released on DVD so its all pure profit !

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howard, if you only consider a blockbuster movie like a "Harry Potter" then you are correct, but the MAJORITY of movies released lose money, and need the DVD sales to make a profit. One blockbuster can float a lot of less successful movies.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the stupid notices about piracy and telling people to report anyone taping the show from the screen already attached to the print when it arrives, or does it come loose, to be spliced on? I watched "The In-Laws" on June 17, 2003 at Regal Hollywood 18 here in Huntsville, Al and one of those things was in front of the movie. I can't remember if it was immediately before the movie, before an attached trailer, or before the Regal policy trailer. In any case, the way it was put in was very shitty. There was a very nasty sounding (and looking) splice before and after the thing. No effort was made to cleanly splice the thing in, and it was obviously hastily put in as an afterthought. I'm tempted to put a news item on my WWW site to urge audience members to boo when the thing comes up if they see it in front of any movie.

I saw "Matrix Reloaded" later that week at another theatre and the piracy thing was not present. This was a at a theatre that goes the extra mile to do the projection professionally.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone make me a bootleg copy of that snipe? [Big Grin]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Warner brothers may have taken all kinds of precautions in redards to preventing piracy of the theatrical release, but I wonder how long before the IMAX version hits the internet! [Roll Eyes]

Maybe WB should be checking those auditoriums, too. Because once the IMAX version gets out, there will be nothing left to release on DVD. [Frown]

=TMP=

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-23-2003 02:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse -- Since you asked....

-

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see one of those snipes come in with a print. I'm not sure it would get played anyway. Insulting a paying audience right before the feature begins is ridiculous. If I was forced to play it, I would probably make it the first thing on the screen so people can forget about it by the time the previews are over.

Besides, the real problem is the studios and their screener tapes.

Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a workprint of HULK up on the internet on 6/6 and a workprint of HOW TO DEAL posted today. Now I know you don't tape workprints off the screen.

I saw Matrix IMAX last week, and didn't see the disclaimer. Funny...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-23-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Warner Bros. actually paid for the Adobe Myriad font they used in their anti-piracy slide.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't seen one of these snipes on Matrix or any of the other WB films I've seen recently until I went to a sneak of "Alex & Emma" (or whatever it was called). After it was over, I couldn't help thinking, "If they really think someone's going to pirate THAT..."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there will be anyone "filming" off of the screen. That would be a lot of trouble to bring in a film camera, lots of film stock, and keep reloading the camera every 10 minutes.

Maybe they should focus on people who videotape off of the screen instead. [Confused]

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 12:23 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have gotten these twice, ONLY with sneaks.. of what a girl wants and one other recent WB sneak that I can't remember. I think warner thinks that sneaks are where the pirates go so they tell us to put it on the sneaks I take it out right after though. I doubt they would do it for a wide release print like matrix.

[ 06-24-2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Aldo Baez ]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 05:45 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least, if any crook down there in the audience didn't, know, Warner Bros. now made obvious, that this sort of crime is possible...

p.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: