Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kia Fuel Injection Problems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kia Fuel Injection Problems
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-22-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok all you home mechanics......Here's one for you......
I just rebuilt the top end of my 95 KIA Sportage. It had overheated and burned two of the valves, plus blew the head gasket....actually it probably happened the other way around. The engine runs pretty good again, but the check engine light comes on after it has warmed up and is sitting idling. It also idles a bit on the rough side, plus fuel consumption is somewhat higher than it was.

This is a pretty typical Bosch type injection system with single O2 sensor. So I checked the ECU to see what malfunction code I would get and it comes up with a code 17, which means there is a problem in the feedback loop. That usually means the Oxygen Sensor, or some other sensor has failed, but they say the Oxygen sensor is the most common problem in all cars that have them. Anyway, I've checked most of the sensors and they seem fine. Throttle position sensor, Cam position sensor, Mass Air Flow, ECU temp. sensor....all seem to be working fine. Compression is right up there where it belongs in all four cylinders. The Oxygen sensor voltage output also seems to be ok and does not seem to behave sluggishly at all, which might indicate that its bad. O2 sensor output starts at .45 volts when cold, then at idle as the engine warms up it drops to .19 volts. At high speed revving I saw .79 volts. Keep in mind that the DVM ssampling rate seems to be the limiting factor in observing how quickly the output signal changes. But O2 sensor changes are supposed to be very rapid.

So, Anyone out there have any ideas.....could it be the O2 sensor anyway? Or could something else be causing this.

P.S.
Believe me, this KIA has been to the top of many peaks around here and to places full size trucks can't go. Of course it has been beaten to death!!! It finally gave up on a trip to Logan canyon a while back. I think when I get it running correctly I'll trade it in on an old 1960's pickup [Smile] .

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-22-2003 11:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over hill over dale
KIA car will ever fail

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check the fuel filter.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the fuel filter and fuel pressure.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-23-2003 01:14 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Junk it and get a REAL vehicle....

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2003 01:22 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How the hell did I wind up with a double post? [Confused] [Confused]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 01:25 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuel injection? How's that work?

3 40DCOE's or a couple of SU's/Strombergs on a straight 6 for me!

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 07:09 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, the symptoms indicate a vacuum leak. Probably on your intake.
Good luck.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2003 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Junk it and get a REAL vehicle...."

Actually it was between a Land Rover and a Kia when and when it came down to it the kia still fit into places where no other vehicle could. Both were used vehicles and I figured that if it rolled....or literally rolled off a mountina top or something like that it wasn't any great loss..... I also just couldn't bring myself to own a vehicle with tushy warmers in the seats [Roll Eyes] .

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think Paul has brought up a good point as I have not replaced the fuel filter, nor checked the fuel pressure. A new set of plugs I put in it have no deposits at all and they have been in there for a couple of hundred miles..... looks as though its running too lean to me. But that doesn't explain the poor gas milage.....
Mark

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-23-2003 08:50 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Choice between Kia and Land Rover? You made the right choice. Although you would not get stranded in the boonies in the Land Rover, it probably wouldn't get to the city limits.

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark...I was trying to trouble-shoot An O2 sensor problem on my BMW. A tech told me to disconnect the sensor and the computer would go into a default setting (and of course the CHECK light will be on) but the real deal is to see if the rough running problem after warm up goes away. It seems that since O2 sensors have a heating element in them, when you start the engine the computer ignores the O2 senson until it has had time to warm up and then it starts reading it and this is why the rough running comes in after the engine has run a while. Hope this helps...Jim

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-23-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you looked at the EGR valve? (Or whatever it's called.)
The tube that goes from the exhaust manifold to the intake. It's got a solenoid valve on it. When it opens, it's supposed to recycle exhaust gas back to the intake.

When the engine is cold, it's supposed to let warm air into the intake. When the engine is hot it will shut off. When the engine is somewhere in between, the computer will calculate the proper valve opening based on the readings from the O2 sensors, et. al.

If it's stuck open, you will get poor mileage and less performance when hot. If it's stuck shut you'll get poor mileage and poor performance when cold. If it's stuck part way or leaking, you'll get shitty performance all the time. My Neon had an electrically actuated solenoid which ran a vacuum operated valve. Thus, electrically the thing can appear to work but inside it's stuck.

For my car, the test was to hook a hand operated vacuum pump up to the solenoid and apply suction to it while the engine was running. Alternately applying and releasing suction should open and shut the valve and cause the engine to run differently. It will either pick up or lose a few RPM. If that's good, the next check was the electrical part. If that was good, the next check was the lines and connections to the engine computer.

My Neon gave me at bitch of a time about this for a while. I had it in the shop 3 times and I finally told them to replace the whole damn thing... The valve, actuator, wires and even the computer. Never had a problem with THAT again!

If Sam's suggestion it right, I imagine that could fall into line with what I am thinking... A faulty vacuum system can't properly actuate a vacuum operated part.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my previous post I mention Paul, I meant Mark.
Sorry.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there may be a vacuum problem also. Possible bad intake manifold gasket.

I just had this problem with my 1984 Ford truck with its 4.6 litre six. Replaced the intake/exaust manifold gasket. Rough idle and somewhat overheating conditions are gone. I even rebuilt the carburetor thinking that this was the problem before I replaced the gasket.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A vacuum leak in the intake manifold will cause the engine to run lean and lean will make the engine overheat a little. One old trick mechanics used to use to detect leaks was to take a propane bottle with a rubber hose on the end of the valve and they would just barely turn it on and move it around the manifold. When it got near the leak the engine would speed up.
You may be able to find it with a mechanics stethoscope. Also, somebody mentioned the EGR valve, that will cause you problems as well. But I would look at it like this: If the care didn't have that problem till you performed work on it then something you did caused the problem.

P.S. Has anybody ever messed with an AUDI with the mechanical fuel injection system? I think it was a mid eighties series.
Those things were funky to the max, five cylinders and all. We had a Geo that had 3 cylinders as well. funky stuff.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: