Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » cannot search from address bar IE6

Author Topic: cannot search from address bar IE6
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else having this problem?
When you try to search from the address bar in IE6 you get nothing but a line that looks like the browser is trying to locate that as a website and not as a search. IE is supposed to treat items with url tags as a search which IE then uses the default msn search engine. Doesn't work. I have trying to figure this out for several days and it's beginning to get to me. Microsoft newgroups says that its a browser hijack and to run spybot search and destroy to remove a parasite. Don't remember the name, sorry. Anyway, done that, ran virus scan, repaired the IE6 installation, done some other registry mods that folks suggested and still the same result. According to the microsoft support group there are a bunch of folks afflicted with this same problem. Any PC gurus out there that can help me out?
My operating system is Windows Xp Home, IE6 , Mcaffee Virus Scan Professional with all the bells and whistles. I unistalled VSP and still no workee.The pic below shows what happens when I try to search for TREK. If I didn't have a hundred gazillion files I would wipe my pc and start over, or buy a new one and shoot this one.
 -

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-22-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just installed IE6 on my work computer yesterday, and it does searches just fine. That computer is Win98, though...could it be an XP issue?

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a way to change the default search engine in IE when you type in a word, I used it to change to google long ago.. Ah found it:

try this:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1047161,00.asp

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Run the IE repair tool.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-23-2003 06:12 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the tip Aldo linked to, but there is no other search engine to choose from in the list [Frown]
However, I have google as my start page [Smile] so I can click home whenever I want to search the web.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to hijack the thread, but one of the wonderful things of opera would be the search bar, right next door to the address bar! [beer]
 -

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-23-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Under tools/internet options/advanced there is a "search" section, make sure something other than "do not search from the address bar" is checked - the one that just displays the result is default I think...

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My computer needs to be reloaded. I need to replace my hard anyway as it's getting full so nows a good time to expand a little. I did download OPERA and am using it to type this. IE got to where it would not open Film-Tech pages or if it did it was sporatic. Bastard Bill Gates and his overtrashed crap. Remeber what Scotty said on ST3 when he just told McCoy how he sabatoged the Excelsior? He said" The more you overtake the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain". Holds true for Windows too I feel.
Until next time, Happy Projecting!

I have decided to wipe my PC so I may be gone for a few days.
Wish me luck!

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 03:51 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping to add that I had to wipe my pc and start over. IE works fine now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: