Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Animal cruelty - how could anyone do this? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Animal cruelty - how could anyone do this?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From today's paper:

quote:
Magistrates in Sunderland heard yesterday that a resident threw his neighbour's cat from the sixteenth floor of a block of flats after having read an April fool article in a tabloid newspaper. Louise Wickham, prosecuting, told the court that a fictional report in The Sun described experiments carried out at the University of Poomamaloo, Australia, to determine the height from which a domestic cat could survive being dropped. For the defence Dharma Patel said that Vincent Vuggard, 19 and unemployed, had been drinking heavily following an argument with his girlfriend when the incident took place. Vuggard denies two charges of animal cruelty, two public order offences and criminal damage. The case continues.
IMHO the University of Sunderland should devise experiments to determine the height from which a local hooligan can survive being dropped!

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-20-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, that is too mean to drop that guy...he would probably die when he hit the ground and splatter his pea-brain all over the sidewalk.

I suggest they take a rope and tie his balls to the ledge before they drop him. That way, hopefully he will not hit the ground...you know, sorta like bundge jumping....

>>> Phil

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding cats can survive a fall over ten stories, because it gives them time to go into a relaxed state that minimizes damage. They almost glide down. It makes no difference if tis 10 stories or 100. However, much less than 10 stories, they will probably die, because they don't go into that relaxed state yet and are still in panic mode.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There hvae been alot of cat and dog mutilations here in Salt Lake City for the last year or so, mainly in the so called posh "Avenues Area". There also seems to be some connection between whats going on here and similar mutilations that are occuring in Denver. An $85,000 dollar reward has been offered for ANY info leading to the person(s) doing these cruel acts.
Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Phil's philosophy. But they should make sure the rope is at least four feet short of touching the ground.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, cats CAN survive falls of many stories for just the reason stated. However cats are less likely to survive from shorter falls of (I think) less than three. Again, it has to do with time needed to "prepare" for the fall.

All this aside, I think most people would consider this a gedanken experiment... Something that you only THINK about in a hypothetical way but not really do. I don't know what possesses people to make them take it any further.

Stop and think, people! Even IF the cat survives it will probably have to go to the animal hospital! There's $$ involved there. If the cat doesn't survive there's cleanup involved! YUCK! Don't forget about the law and the fact that it's just plain STUPID, not to mention cruel!

Jeez!! Don't these clowns realize that the cat is somebody's PET?! How would YOU feel if you had to tell your little girl that her "Fluffy" died a horrible death because some J-bag got all liquored up and tossed the cat out the window?!

Y'Know what I'd to to the stupid SOB? I'd haul him in by the hair on his nut sack and make him apoligize to the kid for killing Fluffy!

Then I'd get a couple of hard, pipe-swinging "Brothahs" to go after his Johnson with a pair of pliers and a blow torch!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-21-2003 05:02 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cruelty against animals is basically the same thing as against children, women, or in general any person or creature that is weaker than the torturer.
Only weak people with serious problems do that for the obvious reason of taking out their aggressions on those who can`t defend themselves.
Many serial killers have started out as animal torturers. Which doesn`t mean that every animal torturer will become a serial killer.
But it is in principle the same if a kid in school beats the smaller kids, if somebody tortures animals, beats his wife, or kills people and chops them up. There is no boundary line - it is a gradual transition.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-21-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many people believe cats and dogs are here on this earth just for our entertainment value and abuse. IMHO, anyone who willingly hurts or kills animals "just for fun" has a sadistic streak of evil in them.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-21-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the result of the case was on the radio just now. He was acquitted of the animal cruelty charges - magistrates accepted the defence argument that the cat would have died instantly, and thus didn't suffer any cruelty (in the UK criminal offences deemed to be 'minor' are tried by a panel of three magistrates - i.e. no jury)! The criminal damage was to the parked car onto which the cat fell, for which he was convicted, given 50 hours' community service and ordered to pay the owner compensation.

I'm no animal rights extremist but there's something seriously wrong with a legal system which says that putting a dent in a car roof is a criminal offence, but that deliberately and gratuitously killing an innocent animal is not. [Mad]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-21-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone needs to find the cat-killer and do what a certain Harley-riding friend of mine calls a "walk around" on the guy's car. Since he dents the roofs of other cars with falling cats this kind of thing would be well deserved on him.

To explain the "walk around," when a motorist acts like a dumbass and nearly blows a biker off the road the biker could retaliate in this matter. He catches up to the motorist at a stop light. He dismounts his motorcycle and walks up to the vehicle. He then proceeds to kick massic dents in all the doors of the vehicle in a circular walk around. Then he gets back on his bike and continues to his originally intended destination.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people torture animals, it's not right. I hate to see animals being treated unfairly. I get out raged everytime I hear about a dog being beaten or starved or a hundreds of cats and dogs lock up in some ones house.

These people who do this need to be put in prison. It dusgust me how often this happens. These assholes need to be treated just like murders. Thrown in prison for life.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-22-2003 07:00 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do people torture animals
Please refer to my post above.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While no one in his right mind will condone this guy's stupid act, i would not equate causing pain to an animal on the same level as causing pain to kids.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-24-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone would say harming an animal is as bad as doing harm to a child. Still, people who hurt or kill animals solely for entertainment value or just because they don't care have a real mark of evil running in them.

I would say the same kinds of sick folk would have little problem in killing a person either. As Michael mentioned, most serial killers practice for awhile on neighborhood pets before moving up to killing people.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-24-2003 03:15 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. According to former FBI profiler John Douglas (I have read all his books, so I know what is going on in the mind of every one of you), many violent criminals fantasize about torturing or killing people for a long time before they actually do it. Usually triggered by stress situations like loss of employment, family or girlfriend problems. Until they actually hurt people, they often hurt animals as these are more helpless and the legal implications are less severe. Because these people all have that in common: they are all cowards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: