Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Codecs for Windows Media Player

Author Topic: Codecs for Windows Media Player
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2003 05:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I frequently find my fabulous Windows Media Player cannot decode a particular codec. Of course after installing a non-linear editor like Adobe Premiere or Avid most everything will play, but I don't really want to install one of those programs on a couple of particular computers.

Can someone point me to a place on the internet to get various codecs please?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 08:33 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What version of WMP are you using?
What formats are you trying to use?
Up to 6.4 codecs were just plugins, from 7 up increasing levels of DRM have been imposed and with 9 it's quite difficult to install a new codec... the player will try to connect to MS and download one but this process seems to fail more often than it works. Manually installing codecs is something I've tried and never succeeded at; if you go to the PowerDVD site and pay $20.00 you can run their codec installer that lets you play DVDs in WMP9 but I haven't found a way that WMP9 will accept the same codec package imported from a paid-up full copy of PowerDVD... I have a paid license to play DVDs on this computer but that don't seem to matter to MS.
In particular I don't think it is possible to get a DivX codec into MP9.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What CODEC is it? Have you thought about Quick Time or Video Lan? Between those two I have been able to play 90% of any files people can throw at me. (Even Microsoft Streaming!)

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 02:20 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.divx-digest.com or www.digital-digest.com

They have almost everything you would need, even programs that read a file and tell you what particular codec you'd need, and whether or not you have it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: