Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Trippin' to CA, 6/21/03 to 6/27/03 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Trippin' to CA, 6/21/03 to 6/27/03
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-18-2003 03:41 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am driving to California, Napa and Morro Bay to be exact, for a few days, from 6/21/03 to 6/27/03.

Any of you film techers nearby? would love something to do like come by and harrass you about your presentation! [evil]

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-18-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to stop here in downtown Sacramento on your way down I-80 for a tour of the Imax and the Crest. [Cool]

There will be restricted access to the theater on the evening of the 22nd for a government event and the 23rd through 25th there will be protestors everywhere downtown for the World Trade Organization.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2003 07:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave......
BE SURE TO DRIVE CAREFULLY!!!! I was out to Wendover yesterday....thats far enough, for me.....
MArk

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-23-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave: When in the Napa area, get a hold of me and I might be able to arrange a couple tours of Cinema West's nearby facilities. [Smile]

-Aaron

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam:

I asked you about the Crest on another site and then couldn't find your answer.

I worked there as projectionist in the late 60s. At that time it had three machines, two Centuries and a Simplex and was a beautiful auditorium. About 1500 seats as I recall. What is it today?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-23-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Crest has been restored and has two additional screens in the basement of the building next door. I really should walk the block and a half and take some photos.
It's two blocks away and I haven't even had time to chat with the manager or projectionists or take any photos. [Frown] I've only seen a couple of films there and given a couple of lobby tours.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 06-23-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I worked there as projectionist in the late 60s. At that time it had three machines, two Centuries and a Simplex and was a beautiful auditorium. About 1500 seats as I recall. What is it today?
Before the late 1990s remodel the Crest was last equipped with Brenkert BX-80's on Motiograph soundheads with Strong Excelite 135 lamphouses.

After the remodel (which included the extra two screens) the main booth was changed to Simplex SH-1012 soundheads and the same Brenkerts, with Strong consoles replacing the Excelites. The two satellite auditoria have Simplex XL's and RCA Soundheads and Christie consoles. I am not sure what platters are being used (the main auditorium still has 2 machines and can do platter or changeover)

John Eickhof did the install on the remodel. Pics of the Crest before and after can be seen on his web site's picture gallery .

-Aaron

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here's the Crest's website, which includes a technical breakdown of equipment:

http://www.thecrest.com

Bob, I assume those were Century JJ's? I know the Crest was used as a roadshow house in the 60's (Sound of Music, The Blue Max, etc) and would assume they had 70mm capabilities.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 06-23-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The info on the Crest's website is the pre-remodel version. See my post above for the new equipment list.

-Aaron

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 08:06 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you can check out the seating capacity from the Crest's website. [Smile]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-23-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I arrived safe and sound in Napa, and am now in Morro Bay. I was so exhausted from the drive that I just crashed in bed when I got there.

I did get out to Spenser Battery at the Golden Gate Bridge. That was about it.

Going Surfing maybe? We will see how that goes.

Sorry I couldn't make it to see anyone. I will be back later this year on a more enjoyable version of vacation. This one was to visit some medical professionals on my health. So far so good. Feel very good now at sea level. Much better than in utah. Thinking of moving out to napa permanently, after all, I get free rent out here!

Dave

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, take it easy on yourself, and don't get too exhausted.

But whatever you do, please drive carefully. [beer]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adam, Paul and Aaron. The Crest did not have 70mm capabilities when I was there. I think they were Century Cs and the Simplex was an E-7 that I used for trailers and shorts just to keep in running. It was a carbon arc changeover booth. The first automation went into a multiplex in a shopping center near Cal Expo in about '68. The business agent of the Sacto IA local got the job.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-30-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in Utah, a few days later than expected. Had a blast. Got my stuff done. Went Boogie Boarding, had a blast. Hurt like hell getting back to Utah's Elevation. Wishing I was back in California.

Oh Well, it was fun, may go back later this year, or just wait till next summer again, but with a few more weeks to enjoy the place. After all, the family has a nice sea side cottage in Morro Bay and a place in Napa, so no need for hotels at least within six hours of the places.

Nice to be back, sort of.

Dave

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
Sorry I missed you. I left for Cine Expo the day before you posted, June 17, and came back on Saturday the 28th. I live in Los Osos and have a great view of Morro Rock from my house. Since your family has a cottage in Morro I am sure you are familiar with the Bay Cinema. They recently put in new speakers and the owners are really nice people. Let me know when you make it back to Morro. If you like I could give you the nickel tour of USL.
Clint

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: