Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » If you could open your own movie theater... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: If you could open your own movie theater...
Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 03:48 PM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you could open your own movie theater, what would you want it to look like? Would you want one screen? Two screens? 80 screens? How about the lobby?

I know that I am not the only one who has ever wanted to buy /open up my own movie theatre. Heck, there is an empty 8 screen AMC theatre just around the corner from me that I would love to jump on. However, I think I would probably want to have a twin theater with about 800-1200 seats in each auditorium. Something like that GCC presentation theater you have in the "pictures" section. I would try and put DLP in each auditorium with either SDDS 8-channel or Dolby Digital Surround EX. After my previous post about General Cinema, I would probably try and pattern slightly off of their twin theaters of the 60's and 70's. I would try to be more art deco though like AMC. There are several pictures up of the single and twin theaters that are just awesome. I doubt I could make money with a twin, but that really wouldn't be the point for me. I would just love to have one. If I were a megazillionaire, I wouldn't care about a profit anyway.

How about you guys? If you had an unlimited amount of cash, what kind of theater would you open up?

Thanks in advance for all of your input! [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we're hypothesizing here, but I wouldn't go with a twin with 800-1200 seats per auditorium. Putting aside aesthetics, lobby, sound, etc, that kind of setup is tough to make money with in today's world. Total number of screens would vary depending on population density with a rural theater at perhaps 8 screens, and a more urban setting with perhaps 16-18 screens. Overall, the intent would be to prevent competition and lock up all the desirable product currently in release. Further, multiple screens and multiple auditorium sizes permit better scheduling of performances and the ability to move a title to a smaller house as it begins to draw fewer patrons. Give your idea another thought.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my eye on the Sunnyside Drive-In for many years. Even while it was still open as a swap-meet only, I thought about buying it and re-opening it as a theater. After it stopped running as a swap meet, the property sat abandoned and was in remarkably good shape until this year. Now it's in *such* bad shape even I wonder if it would be worth repairing.
http://www.cinematour.com/tour_us.php?id=2010

It's a shame, really, since the nearest Drive-In is about a 45 minute drive and the Sunnyside is in an ideal location. (No light pollution, it's in a decent area of town but not so decent that someone would want the property for a Wal-Mart, etc.)

There's also an abandoned Home Base that I think would make a great location for a 10 or 12 screen theater. However, since this area already has 61 first-run screens I haven't put much thought into that project.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-17-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Option #1: 1500-2000-seat single-screen restored movie palace in a major city, complete with theatre organ. Programming would be a mix of everything from first-run titles to repertory, with a new single- or double-feature every day. There would be a brief organ concert before each show (yes, every day). Projection and sound equipment would be the best available (probably Kinoton projectors and THX certification for the theatre), and the theatre would be equipped for all formats, ranging from 16mm to 70mm including DLP (not for features, but for video-originated programming). Admittedly, the proposed booking policy would be impossible and such a venue would not be likely to make money. This option would be my dream, but it's completely unrealistic.

Option #2: 400-600-seat "neighborhood" single-screen theatre in medium-size town showing primarily current art product, with a new single- or double-feature each week. Shorts would run with every feature. I've worked in four theatres like this (see the picture gallery for Williamsburg Theatre, Cape Cinema, Columbus Theatre, and Avon Cinema) and I know that this format can make money in the right market if it is competently booked and managed. Technical quality would have to be good, but this sort of place doesn't really need digital sound or 70mm (for example).

Option #3: Single- or twin drive-in operating in summer months near a metropolitan area, showing first-run double features plus shorts/trailers/intermission reels, with features changing every couple of weeks. I don't understand the drive-in market very well, as I've never worked in one, but I love the idea of owning such a place. I'm under the impression that it can be a moneymaker in the right markets. I'm not sure how important it is to have the second screen, but I'd guess that it probably helps to smooth out the loss if one of the four titles is a "dog." I'd want the brightest possible picture and would have both in-car speakers and FM stereo sound.

Multiplexes bore me. Sure, a triple or quad in a smallish town with no competition can make money with first-run product, but I can't imagine wanting to own such a place.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much everything that Scott said, but keep the prices at the box office and concession REASONABLE.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
12 Plex Smallest screen would be similar to GCC Northpark Cinema I. Largest screen would need to be the biggest in the world, just because. Run only 70mm prints in the large auditoriums (theater would pay the cost for the exclusive). No traditional stadium seating, something more along the lines of 4-6" risers. No curved screens (yes I said no curved screens). All side masking. Wider auditoriums vs. long and narrow "bowling alley" design. THX/Dolby/all formats of digital/EX/etc in every house applicable. No directly adjoining auditorium walls. JBL speakers, Harkness screens, QSC amps, Kinoton heads, Christie lamphouses, CA21 automations, AW3 platters on every screen, etc, etc, etc.
[Cool]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-17-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"IF" I had a bunch of cash to open a movie theater I would do this:

In General
The site would have to be a destination complex clearly worth driving some distance to visit and not just be the ordinary cookie cutter stadium seated site. It would have to be a multiplex to have a functional business model. Unique atmosphere, premiere-class presentation quality and giant screen shows would be focal points.

Big Theaters with Lots of Seats
The multiplex builders have screwed up in missing this one. Who says a 1,000+ seat theater can only exist in a single screen site or a twin? If a traditional multiplex can add an IMAX-3D screen they can damned sure add a couple 1,000+ seated commercial screens too. Idiots! My "dream theater" would feature at least one house (if not two or three) featuring well over 1,000 seats and a large screen capable of showing both 4/35 and 5/70 films. I would have this kind of screen be every bit as good as any world premiere class theater anywhere. There is a certain feeling the movie goer gets when he walks into a house with over 1,000 seats. That feeling can either be described as "whoa" or "yeah buddy, I came to the right place."

European Style Stadium Seating
Most stadium seated theaters suck mainly because the seating is too steep and there is too much cubic airspace in the auditorium to get any decent sound. It's really stupid what they're doing. Essentially they're taking speaker drivers designed for small non-stadium seated auditoriums and slapping them together in these steep houses. IDIOTS! And then there's all that echo. Some IMAX theaters have sound systems that properly drive their ample cubic air space, but I think those sound systems cost quite a bit more money than the average commercial system. I would go with a less severe incline in all auditoriums (expect IMAX) like European style seating and still use larger drivers that can do acoustical justice to the room.

IMAX
Just about any top-flight multiplex has to have an IMAX 3D screen. If cost were no object I would probably consider building both an IMAX-3D screen and an IMAX Dome screen to boot. As release windows shorten and theatrical product gets more and more uninspired, I think commercial theaters will come to rely on special venue fare more and more.

Atmosphere
Lots of movie theaters are no different from one to the next. Some of them have that tacky circus theme. Others are attempting to spit out "post modern" architectural stuff that makes the place look more like a bank than a theater. Make the place look like a real theater. There may be only a couple places on the east and west coasts that are touching on the right themes. I think Loews Lincoln Square in New York is the one that actually tries to dress up their auditoriums like classy theaters of old (well, I read a news story that claimed that one anyway). The things I like on movie theater decoration are items like CURTAINS FOR THE SCREEN. Perhaps some chandaliers in the lobby. Make the place look tasteful enough to host a world premiere. It doesn't have to look boring either. I think neon should be all over the place (or perhaps colored fiber-optic border lighting). I like LED electronic displays for showing showtimes. But another thing I liked when I was in New York was seeing large marquee displays for shows. Instead of having itty bitty mylars here and there, how about at least a couple marquees showing movie titles great big. A vinyl cutter or large format ink jet printer could make such things for not all that much money (and the studios might even provide the stuff if the marquee faces are produced in a standard size). Basically, I would want people to have the same kind of movie going feel they get from visiting Westwood or midtown Manhattan (at least the best parts of that experience anyway).

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cinema I'd like to own.

Not a single, not a mega.

I'd like about 4 or 5 screens. The two or three largest would have digital sound. The smaller screens would have analog sound. Half of the fun of running the place would be imagining the day that I had made enough money to make upgrades, and over time I would buy the new equipment.

It would have charactor.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Brad on the auditorium design, I really dislike the narrow "shoebox" design. I like to sit at the middle of the screen, which you can't do with the middle-aisle seating you find in most narrow auditoriums.

I would set up my theater very similar to the way the old Regency 6 here was set up, rectangular lobby area with 3 auditoriums on each side, restrooms and such at the far end of the lobby and snack bar in the middle. I don't know why, but I don't care for hallways in a theater.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THEATER DESIGN/EQUIPMENT:

I like 12-plexes. Not too many, and not too few so you can "diversify" (popular word these days) the films you show. The lobby shouldn't look too glitzy, nor look like an airport terminal. Carpeted lobby, except for in front of the conession stand of course. Lobby would feature a rear-projection screen with trailers on 35mm and a digital projector that kicks in when the 35mm tails out showing the policy trailer, and other "filler" stuff until it gets rethreaded.

Largest auditorium would seat about 850, smallest about 250, decreasing by 50 each time. Curtains on all screens, with cool "light effects" responding to the instrumental-only non-sync music. Seating would be quazi-stadium, sort of like The Villa theater. (about half on risers, half on the floor). Dark color scheme: Greens, blacks, blues, purples... I've just always associated that with going to the movies, none of that "happy-cartoony" colored stuff all over the walls.

Largest auditorium would be outfitted to show 3-strip Cinerama. (why not?) Projectors would be Kinoton, and due to recent experience I have taken a fancy to the smoooooth AW3! [thumbsup] Largest house would also be set up to do changeover for special prints as well as run 70mm. One or two auditoriums would also be outfitted for 3D.

OPERATIONS:

Here comes the fun part, if you could get away with some of this stuff. The reason for the special equipment is for the sake of running it as a rep house with special-priced "historic" screenings as well as a first-run theater, but that's only part of it.

Ticket prices would be set based on the movie you are coming to see, and would get cheaper as the movie gets older. Since all auditoriums would have digital sound and large screens, people could wait a few weeks, knock a few dollars off the price and still get a top-notch presentation in a big house. This would thin out the crowds on opening weekends and inadvertently give movies "legs."

Also, no more worries of tying up screens with dead product. Stuck with "The Real Cancun" for two weeks? Nobody wants to see it for $5.50, but what if it was $2.50 or $1.00? Just like department stores mark down unpopular stuff on clearance, theaters should be allowed to "mark down" a movie no one wants to pay to see. THAT would really be a "dream" theater!!!

Concession stand would serve french fries. I have never seen a theater serve a basket of fries, which would be an awesome movie snack. Especially cheese fries! All the usual popcorn, candy, soda, nacho stuff too. Posted sign would help percap: "This is a food-service establishment. Due to strict health department regulations, any persons caught with outside food or drink will be forced to leave the premesis, no questions asked." [evil]

Either that, or I've always wanted to own a twin drive-in with an apartment over the concessions building adjacent to the booth. I can live where I enjoy to work! [Cool]

=TMP=

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I'd opt for a single screen giant. I'd want at least 1000 seats in it, and main goal would be to recreate the excitement and class that once was associated with going to the movies. I'm old fashioned, so my theatre would be somewhat the same in the way it presents itself. A huge lobby with balcony, chandaliers, and a couch or two for sitting down during intermissions or while waiting for the next show. Staff would be dressed in formal apparel, and conduct themselves in a completely classy manner. Concession would have the best popcorn, PEPSI (please no more Coke!) and all the best candy.

On the technical side, the theatre would be capable of holding a world premiere. I'd have 35mm, 70mm, and DLP capabilities along with Dolby EX, DTS ES, and SDDS 8 channel. Even though I've never used a changeover system, I'd get one and learn! I'd also get the place THX certified for the heck of it. Films would be shown with 5 trailers: 3 film trailers, sound snipe, and THX snipe. Of course, for certain films, we'd do it roadshow style with entrance music, opening and closing curtains (yes, we'll have curtains), and all that jazz.

Again, I'd love to be first run on the weekend, but during the week, we'd play old films. Every so often, I'd hold a film festival for say foreign cinema, Hollywood Classics, or a Happy Birthday Alfred Hitchcok festival. But more or less, we would play all sorts of films.

Above all, our place would cherish showmanship and customer satisfaction. It seems that these two elements are missing in many theatres, and ours would bring it back.

FIRST MOVIE TO SHOW: Star Wars in 70mm. Mr. Lucas would make me a brand new 70mm print with 6 Track sound of the original 1977 version. Hey, we said it was a dream right?

AJG

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2003 03:36 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Others are attempting to spit out "post modern" architectural stuff that makes the place look more like a bank than a theater. Make the place look like a real theater.
I think you mean the "pseudo traditional" architectural style: basically schematics of classical architectural elements. It's used a lot for banks, stripped down huge cylinders to give the idea of "columns", big curves for arches, etc. The result is buildings that look like they're made of huge children's wood block sets. It's cheap, like new "stucco" houses - just plastic materials. If you want to break in, don't go for the doors or windows, just break off chunks off the walls & walk in.

It's a very around-the-turn-of-this-century style that's already wearing out its fashionability. There's a 1920's honest-to-god art deco theatre that was "restored" a couple of years ago by the city that owned it. The "restoration" also included huge stylistic alterations - they gutted the attached & visible from the street commercial spaces to create meeting & lobby space for the theater. The attached space was done in the now-tired and stuck-in-the-nineties pseudo traditional style, & it's like looking at 70s gold shag carpeting & foil striped walls attached to what is still apparently a 1920s art deco exterior & attached original space.

It's amazing how wonderful things look to people just because the paint is new. Two years later, if it's a hack job, you need to distribute stomach distress bags.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2003 07:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
"FIRST MOVIE TO SHOW: Star Wars in 70mm. Mr. Lucas would make me a brand new 70mm print with 6 Track sound of the original 1977 version."

Just keep in in mind that the negative has faded on this film so you'd have to hire Bob Harris to do a total restoration of the film before the 70mm would ever look decent.
Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-19-2003 08:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad--how would you build a 12-plex without adjoining walls? The only way I can think to do this (short of having twelve single-screen houses in a row) is to have a huge circular lobby with the auditoria sticking out from it in spoke-like fashion.

As for the "first movie" issue: with my "option 1," it would be a 70mm mag print of Lawrence of Arabia (would also consider Ben-Hur, Doctor Zhivago, 2001, or any of the other '50s or '60s roadshow films). With "option 2," it would probably be Citizen Kane or Cinema Paradiso (cliche, I know...). With "option 3," it would be whatever big-budget action film is current.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2003 09:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
Thats easy to do....just have a wide dividing hallway between each theatre. This is not uncommon in shopping mall theatres. Also by using a new construction method in which styrofoam sheets with steel rods holding them together form the inside and outside of a solid concrete wall. These styrofoam assembleys are stacked in 3 foot levels like Lego blocks and then filled with concrete. The concrete is vibrated to ensure no voids or air pockets remain in the wall for sound leakage. The result is the best method in existance for theatre construction. There are several out here that have been built that way, and an old customer of mine does all his locations that way. Its ALOT faster too and takes alot less man power to erect the actual building.....about 1/5th the size crew it takes for a block and mortor type. The R insulation rating is super high for just a wall, and with the standard layer of drywall inside, the STC rating is also remarkably high.
My theatre would be built this way...it would be like a fortress!
Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: