Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Every "Old Barn" seems to have a creepy dank dungeon. What is yours like?

Author Topic: Every "Old Barn" seems to have a creepy dank dungeon. What is yours like?
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-17-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is Don's. [Eek!]

-

-

Dungeons are cool! [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The basements of the Warner Hollywood, Warner Beverly Hills and the Warner Wiltern Theatres. They all had great old stuff hidden away. I found boxes of old one sheets, old Art-Deco light fixtures, projection equipment, those old box office coin machines, everything. [Eek!]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-17-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Don?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-17-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, it is Don Bruchert from the Strand Theatre in my home town. I hope I didn't misspell his name too awful.. [Big Grin]

Bill, do you have any pics of it?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 11:30 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our baseent is a workshop but there is also a 30'x30' concrete room that a spring that was uncovered whe nthe building was built drains into. The water is usually about 6 ft deep and the temp is about 56 degrees F. There is a pump that runs about 50% of the time keeping the level down. Things discovered in storage spaces include a Vitaphone marquee flag, a wooden Vitaphone shipping crate that originally carried a Vitaphone turntable, a pristine Brenograph Model F7 operating manual, a book on maintaing a mercury pool rectifier.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-18-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

I will look to see if I have pictures.

Bill

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was in the basement long forgotten of the Carlton Theatre, Haymarket in London, where I found a complete set of projection equipment that was originally installed as a gift from 20th Century Fox to Sir Winston Churchill for his private cinema at Chartwell. The projectors and bases were Standard Simplex with RCA 1041 soundheads in excellent condition. It is said, that Marilyn Monroe pictures were favourites of Sir Winston.

As mentioned before, the equipment found a new home at the Electric Cinema, Portobello Road in London, replacing the clapped out BTH projectors with type D block soundheads. In the basement of the Electric were the remains completely solid crusted in rust that was the equipment before the BTH. Thought to have been installed in the 1920s, which looked like Simplex projector heads, with added unknown soundheads.

Backstage of the large ABC Mayfair, Tooting in South London, were tons of old equipment stored.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-18-2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anybody stop using those AW1 and AW2's??? Those are perfectly good machines... [Wink]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-19-2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because they suck!

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Electrical Room  -

-

The shower for the guy who used to shovel coal into the furnace in the '40's, I bet that sucked for a full time job!  -

The radiator for heating and cooling the theatre, for cooling we use ground water, after it comes from the radiator it sprinkles the lawn. Out of frame are two blowers.  -

The furnace room, beyond this is the old coal chute where a truck would dump the coal into the basement.  -

Sorry for the not so great pictures, my camera doesnt have a wide enough lens to take pics so close.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 06:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, is your boiler oil or gas fired?

The electrical room looks good. Some I have seen had old evidence of fire around some of the boxes!

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is gas fired, was converted from oil in the very early 70's. Electrical room hasnt given us any problems, I think it is a bit overdone, the switch box is 440 3 ph., the white box on the far left is a transformer to drop the 440 to 220, The right wall (not pictured) is mostly the old style frankenstein switches.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 06-23-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been on here in a while. I just wanted to take a moment to say it was great to get to meet Paul and Josh when they stopped by a couple of weeks ago - hope you guys liked the tour, and the chance to see film done mostly wrong at its finest!!

Also thanks for letting everyone see what we really think of our Christie crap - relegating it to a junkpile in the basement, next to a leaky standpipe that makes a smell like raw sewage every few days (see pipes to left of junkpile). We could only stay down there a few minutes so we wouldn't come upstairs smelling like giant turds!!!

Anyone wanting to see more of our place can badger Paul for the photos he took while there, or wait till Rachel takes a batch when she's bored... one or the other...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: