Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » World's Most Expensive Cities (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: World's Most Expensive Cities
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 02:30 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The list of the most expensive cities in the world has come out.

Top Cities (with last years ranking)

• 1)Tokyo--Japan (3)
    2)Moscow--Russia (2)
    3)Osaka--Japan (6)
    4)Hong Kong--China (1)
    5)Beijing--China (4)
    6)Geneva--Switzerland (28)
    7)London--U.K. (10)
    8)Seoul--South Korea (9)
    9)Zurich--Switzerland (32)
    10)New York City--USA (7)(Because of Bob Maar's Martinis)
    11)Shanghai--China (5)
    12)St. Petersburg--Russia (8)
    13)Oslo--Norway (40)
    14)Hannoi--Vietnam (11)
    15)Copenhagen--Denmark (62)
    16)HoChiMinh City--Vietnam (14)
    17)Milan--Italy (63)
    18)Shenzen--China (13)
    19)Guangzhou--China (11)
    20)White Plain, NY--USA (16)
    21)Dublin--Ireland (73)
    22)Los Angeles, Calif.--USA
    23)Paris--France (74)
    25)Chicago,IL--USA
    27)Miami, FL--USA
    43)San Juan--Puerto Rico
    61)Melbourne--Australia
    67)Sydney--Australia
    78)Brisbane & Perth
    104)Toronto--Canada
    108)Lima--Peru
    110)Vancouver--Canada
    115)Auckland--New Zealand
    117)Wellington--New Zealand
    120)Buchareset
    130)Buenos Aires
    133)Joannesburg--South Africa
    136)Sao Paulo--Brazil
    137)Rio de Janeiro
    144)Asuncion--Paraguary

[ 06-24-2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honolulu's ranking I think is #32.

It's inexpensive in Hawaii so why not come and pay us a visit because we relly need the business! [Smile]

-Claude

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude wrote:

quote:

It's inexpensive in Hawaii so why not come and pay us a visit because we relly need the business!

I can't afford to come, because living here in London is so expensive. [Frown]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who wants to buy a city anyways? and why are there a bunch of holes in the list after #23?

carl

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 02:48 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Cost of living's gone up so high,
That it's cheaper now to die--

Absotively Mister Gallagher?

Posilutely, Mister Shean!"

--Gallagher & Shean

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-18-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Cost of living's gone up so high,
That it's cheaper now to die--

Have you checked the price of funerals lately? [Eek!]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see Vancouver near the bottom of this list... I'm off to a conference there in November and thus look forward to lots of cheap beer! [beer]

The last outside-the-UK conference I went to was at Trier in Germany last November. Everything was ridiculously cheap because at the time, the pound was extremely high against the euro. But all the Germans I met were complaining that the price of everything had skyrocketed since the euro was introduced (because retailers had taken the opportunity to round prices up in making the conversion). In that case I wish I'd visited while they still had the Deutschmark!

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate to Japan, not surprise to see in top five, a McDonald's Big Mac como is $12.00, a movie ticket is $18.00-$35.00, gasoline $3.75 gallon, hotels they charge the room twice if two people stay in same room (such as man & wife)...Beer is Good [beer]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-21-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do Denver and Dallas rate in that list?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-21-2003 02:31 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denver and Dallas are kinda expensive, but I'm sure they would be in the middle of the pack. If you want CHEAP living, gotta come to Oklahoma where two-stepping, tornadoes and meth labs are KING!!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-21-2003 02:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And be near the Cache 8? Are you CRAZY?!?!?!?!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-21-2003 04:41 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are San Francisco and San Diego on that list? People here tell me all the time those were among the most expensive places in the US.
Although the rent is quite high, I do not really find it too bad. Household articles and food and all the other small articles that you need seem to be a little more expensive than what I am used to from Germany. Electronics seem to be more or less the same price or sometimes even a little less.

It is very difficult to compare those prices directly anyway. You can compare articles of food, clothing etc directly, but how do you compare the rent?
For instance, in Berlin I had a nice apartment (ca 700 sqft) which was a studio with one very large room (rather unusual in Berlin), and the rent was €440.
Here my rent is $780 for an apartment of 710 sqft in a nice community. Actually, that is not very expensive in comparison to the rents here in general.
At first sight it seems much more expensive. But then the apartments here have a complete kitchen - which is not the standard in Germany. They usually only have an oven and a sink, and you have to bring the rest yourself.
It also has carpet and a walk-in closet (again not the standard in Germany), some of the lighting was installed and the whole place was basically ready for immediate move-in.
Of course, when you bring your own stuff you get to keep it while what you pay with the rent is gone. But we also have a laundrette here, so I do not need to buy a washing machine either or even have to waste time to go to an outside laundrette.
The costs for water, sewer, electricity etc. are about the same or maybe even a little less here. And then you have practically no cost for heating.
So, what at first sight seems to be horribly expensive isn`t that bad after all if you analyse the costs in detail.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Northern Michigan is a fairly inexpensive place to live. A 1400 sq. ft. house on a few acres is less than $80,000. But to go with at I'd say the average middle class family earns less than $50,000 yr with 2 ppl working. With no major industry most jobs are front counter jobs or tourist related.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-23-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how Boston, MA rates on that list...in the city where I used to live (Gloucester) which is about 45 minutes from Boston you couldn't find a house for under $200,000 and those were fix-me-up-houses. Rent couldn't be found for a 1 bedroom apartment for under $800/month usually including nothing. I know in Boston a studio apartment can go for as much as $1200/month.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-23-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My older daughter shares a three-bedroom apartment near Boston with two other girls, and her share of the monthly rent and utilities is over $800. The other surprise was that they had to pay one month's rent as a "finders fee" to a real estate agent.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: