Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » question about dolby trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: question about dolby trailer
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 07:57 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I have an analog system I thought it would be cool to have this trailer but was wondering if it had an analog soundtrack on it.
DOLBY DIGITAL EGYPT 35MM SCOPE TRAILER
If it doesn,t there is no use for me to get it.
Thanks!

-

P.S. If it is stated on the label as having analog then don't make too much fun about me.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 08:41 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has an SR analog track. But why show it if your setup is analog? That's false advertising.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 08:42 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the digital trailers from Dolby, DTS and SDDS have a regular analog track on them. An idea would be NOT to put the digital track on, so if someone left them on and ran it, the sound would go out altogether. That way, people would know the theater was 'lying' about having digital equipment. But I'm sure the digital companies would get too many complaints about how they sent a 'broken' trailer, so ....

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 09:00 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron said:
quote:
It has an SR analog track. But why show it if your setup is analog? That's false advertising.
It,s for my home cinema.
I plan on upgrading someday in the future or if the right price comes along.
My family and friends don't mind.
They know I lie anyway [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An idea would be NOT to put the digital track on, so ...
I think you mean not put an analog track on, in which case, I completely agree 110%.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-17-2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can expect about every single piece of film that has Dolby Digital to have an analog SR track as well. The format is specified as a digital track with analog fallback. To indicate this, they called format 10 SR-D.
The reason is that Cinema Digital Sound failed because of the lack of analog fallback, so Dolby made sure that their format would never suffer from the same problem.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-17-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If i remember right, Egypt and Temple dont say Digital under the dolby logo, so if hes playing in dolby sr, its not really false advertising.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-17-2003 03:10 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Temple only says Dolby, but Egypt says Digital as well. Both are very nice trailers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
False advertising? What are you talking about? One local theater here in town used to advertise digital sound, and yet was not equipped with a digital system. When asked it was explained that the non-sync signal comes from a digital cd...thus "digital sound in the auditorium"! [Roll Eyes]

He took it too far when he started going to a local megaplex and buying dts and Dolby logo films from the teenage projection staff for $50 a pop to show at the front of his movies. [Mad]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-17-2003 05:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care for the Egypt, Temple, and Canyon trailers. All are very boring and sound unimpressive. There is absolutely no animation whatsoever in any of the trailers except the camera movement. You start out behind a rock, then (very, very slowly) move up to the Dolby logo which for some odd reason is sitting on a pillar. Then, if you're lucky, a beam of light will shine on the logo or something. Very uninspired. All three of these trailers are pretty much the same, except in different settings, and Canyon's Dolby logo is embedded into a rock, Temple's logo is sitting on a pillar, and Egypt's logo is just sitting there on the floor.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and where is the Dolby City trailer? Why was this discontinued? Does anyone know?

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never liked the CGI trailers at all, that video game stuff bores me on the screen. Do you remember the older Dolby Spectral Recording trailer "Surround Fanfare" (if that was the title) with Henry Mancini music?
It had a nice helicopter shot and looked very impressive, except for the bad print quality. Even if it advertised a sound format, couldn`t Dolby have cared a little about picture quality? [Frown]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital sound through non-sync? That's hilarious. He sounds like a few cans short of a six pack.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-17-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Temple" is the SR trailer; there is no digital track, which is why it doesn't say "Dolby Stereo Digital" or "Dolby Digital" on it. Since it doesn't say "SR" either, presumably it can be used for Dolby A features, without constituting false advertising (I've done it).

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 07:20 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody got a spare "TEMPLE" that they could let go of?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: