Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » LA residents frustrated by filming on city streets

Author Topic: LA residents frustrated by filming on city streets
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2003 10:22 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - When a blinding light awoke Jonathan Jerald at 3 a.m. in his downtown loft, he briefly thought he was being kidnapped by aliens.

"I was terrified for a second, and then, of course, I knew what it was," Jerald said.

The light was part of a film shoot - one of thousands of commercials, television shows and movies filmed on city streets each year.

The film industry says such shoots are minor annoyances that bring big money and jobs to the region.

But in Los Angeles County, where 44,000 days worth of filming occurred last year, many residents have had enough.

They want the City Council to give neighborhoods more control over the way film shoots are conducted on their streets.

"I bought a house on a residential street," Van Nuys resident Joe Montoya told the City Council. "I didn't buy on a back lot."

The film industry is not taking the charge lightly. It has warned that if residents get to micromanage film permits, studios will take their productions - and thousands of jobs - elsewhere.

"Producers have a lot of choices these days...from as close as San Diego to as far away as Australia, Canada, Eastern Europe," said Melissa Patack, vice president of the Motion Picture Association of America.

Pamm Fair, deputy national executive director of the Screen Actors Guild, cautioned that many jobs are on the line.

After the film industry's warnings, the council recently shied away from Councilwoman Cindy Miscikowski's proposal to let neighborhood councils help draft new regulations for the agency that hands out the film permits.

The members instead asked an accounting firm to meet with residents to try to incorporate their suggestions without scaring away movie makers. The meetings were scheduled to begin this week.

But many residents wonder whether that will be enough.

Residents in neighborhoods across Los Angeles and surrounding unincorporated county areas say their sleep is interrupted by the bright Klieg lights, simulated gunfights and staged car crashes. They also complain that the crews take up valuable parking spaces.

Much of the solution lies with the embattle Entertainment Industry Development Corp., a nonprofit agency that facilitates film shoots in the area and provides the permits. Last fall the corporation came under attack after officials began investigating it for misuse of funds.

The agency is now being overhauled. But some residents say the investigation ignored the way the agency allowed producers to do whatever they want on residential streets.

Part of the problem is that permits are issued so quickly, residents say they don't have time to respond.

"We're not secret agents from Canada," said Jerald, who serves on the downtown neighborhood council. "We don't want to get rid of production. We just want it to be reasonable.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-16-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
What a dickhead. They should remember if it wasn't for all that filming, there would be no Hollywood or L.A.

I think that guy is a loser... EVERY time there is a street closing for filming, there is at least 2-weeks notice. Also, before any filming permit is issued, there is a public notice and usually a meeting to vent concerns, etc.

OBTW: Did I mention financial compensation for the poor "put-upon" jerks!

What REALLY annoyes me is all the street closings for the anti-war/Bush demos. [evil]

>>> Phil

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 11:44 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the "financial compensation" is anything like what was offered to the businesses an the block where my theatre is it is bullshit. The street was closed all day on a very busy summer Friday and the 16 merchant were offered $50. each in compensation for being completely cut off from the public for 8 hrs. A reasonable price probably would have been $300 for the smaller retailers to $2500 for a very busy restaurant at the minimum.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my neck of the woods the amount paid is slightly more than the amount you suggested. Still, doesn't quite cut it when it's opening weekend of a film and the theatre has to sit closed for an entire Sunday. It's only happened twice and the studio responsible for the closure is also the studio who's film is playing.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-18-2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys, all I can say is you just don't get it. Common practice is for the merchants to get together and negotiate a better deal or tell the movie company to move on.

Most film permits are issued by public servant jerks that haven't a clue (or concern) about the disruption. BUT, they answer to ELECTED officials... complaints DO work.

>>> Phil

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 10:13 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if those businesses consider the value of the free advertising they get by having their store front in a movie?
Everybody wants the money but nobody wants the business on their street.
We have the same problem in Seattle, sort of. Everyone bitches about the breaks that are given to Boeing in taxes etc. But it seems they never consider that Boeing supplies 60,000-80,000 jobs in this area (plus associated jobs).
I wonder what those bitching store owners would think if the tourists stop coming and Hollywood went away. Maybe they should ask the folks in France.
When I was a kid we lived about a mile from a pulp mill where my dad worked. Sometimes the wind would be blowing our way and man did it stink. My dad used to say..."It smells like money to me"

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-18-2003 10:29 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a former location manager, as Phil said "Before any permit can be issued the residents or business has 2 weeks notice." In Los Angeles you have to give notice to and get signatures from everyone within 500 feet of the location that is being used. And if you plan to start shooting before 7am or after 10pm. In giving notice to the residents or business, you have to tell them about early starts and the use of Special FX (guns, noise, etc..) The location manager also has to plan on were all the trucks are going to park. He has to arange with the permit office how much street space for production trucks. And order no parking signs from the permit office. (Each sign costs $20) He also has to arange were the crew is going to park. Some residential streets are permit parking only. Another item is if you plan to put dolly track on a public sidewalk. The production also has to hire a Fire Safety Officer (FSO) during all shooting. And if you plan to block off traffic, they have to hide Police for the set. If you plan in your shoot to wet down the street that has tobe in the permit. (You can block traffic for up to 2 minutes only) If you plan to block off traffic you have to hire 2 Police officers. If your blocking off a highway you now add the California Highway Patrol into the budget. That's 2 officers, plus cars (Mileage, Gas are not included), you add that to the fee. As for financial compensation as Mathew said "It depends on area" In the above acticle it stated that, that person lived in a loft in downtown Los Angeles. Well thats the problem. In the downtown area of Los Angeles alot of landlords have turned old warehouses into loft residents. Like here in SOHO and Tribeca areas of New York. To a location manager they look like old warehouses. And they are very hard to get into with alot of fences and intercoms. So filming at around 3am would be ok, because it's an industrial area not residential. If the location manager is doing his job right, everyone is informed about the filming. But every shoot you get a whinely person looking to make a buck. California needs the productions to stay in the state.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: