Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I have a date tonight... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: I have a date tonight...
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-13-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...so now what do I do?

Good ideas for a first date, please..?

Dinner topics?
After-dinner plans?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is this, Love-Tech?

It's been said before, but most people don't really listen to the words. Just be yourself...really, just be yourself. Plan a couple of nice things to do, nothing too lackluster like making it a Blockbuster night, but nothing too over the top either. Whatever you do don't put on a show. Your date will find out sooner or later what parts of that first date are fake. If your date doesn't like you from the get-go without you having to wear a personality, save yourself the time and move on to the next prospect who can appreciate your quirks and sense of humor. (I say this because IMHO if you are planning dinner topics, you don't sound like you will be too relaxed during the date.)

Or to put it in a more non-PC sort of way, just don't put forth too much effort trying to impress and if it works, great, if not, it would've ended sooner or later anyway and save you the time. [Wink]

I'm going to refrain from actual first date suggestions on things to do, because that's a job for Chipper! [Big Grin]

(Daryl, do you have the Film-Tech Interlock dating service set up yet?)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2003 07:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If being yourself doesn't impress your date, then put on a fake personality so that you can maybe get some. I can't imagine your real personality working very well (just kidding, Manny [Smile] ).

During the summer bike riding kicks ass. Not much room for conversation which is exactly what you want.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movies are always great for first dates. Not a lot of talking. And you can get a feel for the person, or you can feel the person [Wink] [beer]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-13-2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you like, you can say that you know me. That usually impresses the hell out of people. Of course, we never actually met, but I would back you up here to help you.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
During the summer bike riding kicks ass.
What about during the winter months Joe?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Riding bicycles sucks! Bicyclists around here almost always come in the form of some iddiot that tries to hog the road....especially when they ride down the canyons out here at 60 mph! I've always wanted to see a bicyclists tire blow out at that speed going downhill.....hehehehehe [Big Grin]

One day last summer when I was on my Harley going up Big Cottonwood canyon two bicyclists tried to block the road...these guys were struggling uphill and not paying attention to what was going on or the line up that followed them for several miles so I blew(literally as I have straight pipes on my Harley) right between them with about a foot to spare on either side. Riding side by side like that is illegal! I can only hope they both peed in their monkey suits.

No nifty suggestions to make a good first impression Manny....I suppose its important that you just don't be like Joe! [Confused]

Mark
P.S. Out here in the winter we snowshoe, Ski(if ya know how to), and take in many artsy type things as well as all the ususl stuff.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-13-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in the winter we snowshoe

Now I know what happened to my tennis rackets.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-13-2003 11:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the helpful replies...We are going to have to reschedule for another time so there will be no followup tonight. That's a lot of useful advice, though. Thanks again.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-13-2003 11:41 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, driving is a priviledge, not a right! Even if others make mistakes or violate traffic rules, we have no right to enforce them ourselves - however annoying they might behave. And the driver with the more powerful vehicle is directly responsible for others with less powerful vehicles.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-13-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Daryl, do you have the Film-Tech Interlock dating service set up yet?)
Sorry, that was on Xenon. [bs] happens. [Frown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
"Mark, driving is a priviledge, not a right! Even if others make mistakes or violate traffic rules, we have no right to enforce them ourselves - however annoying they might behave. And the driver with the more powerful vehicle is directly responsible for others with less powerful vehicles."

I don't know of any law that says I couldn't split them......sort of like splitting lanes in California.......
Anyway, it certainly woke them up!! [Big Grin]

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-14-2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well let me know when you get it running on Brain so we can get Michael Schaffer a date.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-14-2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First date ideas?

I usually do the "harmless" lunch date thing or meet up with some friends in a somewhat neutral setting to see if I click at all with the lady. If there isn't any fun or chemistry with her then I keep from wasting $100 on a restaurant, drinks, etc.

It is a bad idea to go to a nightclub on a first date. That's just my opinion. But it is never fun to take a lady to a club and have some asshole cock-block you and leave the club with your date. There's too damned many cowboys and soldiers in my town for me to take that chance. So I'll usually take her dancing after a couple dates. If I have won her over with my personality by then (good luck on that one, hehe) she'll tell the steroid boys to f**k off when they try to lay their mack down.

Sometimes I meet women when I go to a nightclub. I don't listen to much country music, but I am good at that two-stepping stuff. Waltzing is a big winner with the ladies since it has that gliding quality to it. The strategy is get her out on the floor, make her dizzy and bewildered with all that spinning. Weeeeee! Buy her a few drinks. Spin her some more. Then lay the mack down. If she resists, spin her some more. From all the motion and dizzyness, she might be receptive to the idea of being in a place that doesn't spin --even if it is your couch or bed. Just be sure it is a lady you can stand to have in your house! And that is perhaps why I think one night stands are a bad idea (or why a hotel room is necessary). I guess the dance-drink-spin-drink-plotz thingie would be my description of what to do on a third or fourth date.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-14-2003 01:02 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to refrain from actual first date suggestions on things to do, because that's a job for Chipper!
And what the hell is that supposed to mean Brad??? [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: