Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Photoshop batch re-sizing

Author Topic: Photoshop batch re-sizing
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 03:38 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Photoshop 7.0 on a MAC with OS 9.2

I have about 90 images that I need to change the size to. I want to do a "batch re-sizing". Meaning, getting all the images resized VERY quickly with next to no effort from me.

How do I do this?? (Assume that I am a novice at using the software.)

[ 06-11-2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Nate Lehrke ]

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-11-2003 04:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know next to nothing about Photoshop, but is it really the right tool for this? You might want to look into a command-line tool like 'convert,' which comes with the 'Imagemagick' tools, along with a scripting language. It's designed to run on Unix, but could probably be made to run on Win32 with Cygwin. There might be a native Win32 verion, too. Anyway, a few lines of shell script along with a command-line tool with a resizing function would do what you want in a few seconds.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-11-2003 07:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't found anything as good as resizing pictures as Photoshop and I do know it can do batch processing, but I've never done it on Windows. Joe does it frequently on his Mac system. Anyone have specific instructions for doing this?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 09:29 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photoshop for Mac and Windoze is substantially the same anymore. Almost the same commands run both. Things are just moved around a bit between the versions.

I've been using GIMP for a while, now. If I remember Photoshop right, you take all the images you want to resize and put them into the same folder. Then you go under the FILE menu and choose the Auutomate > Batch... command. From there, it's all a matter of answering the questions. Do you want the output to overwrite the input files? Do you want to sequentially name/number the output files? What height, width and resolution do you want the output files to be? Fill in the boxes and check the check marks you want and hit "OK". The rest should be automagic! [Wink]

I don't remember but you might have to have your imput files sequentially numbered. (eg: MyFile1.jpg, MyFile2.jpg... MyFileX.jpg)

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-11-2003 02:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem I have with Photoshop on Windows is that when you resize (reduce) photos, you're likely to get a blurry mess that you have to sharpen up. I hear this is not so much a problem on a Mac. Why is this?

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paint Shop Pro can do that for you. You can download a demo for free at
http://www.jasc.com/

It uses Photoshop plugins and it is pretty damn good for the $99 price tag.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate already has Photoshop, so it isn't in his interest to buy another program. Today I made a trek to Nate's apartment (unannounced) to personally show him how to do batch resizing with Photoshop on the Mac. After all of the half-naked women finally left (much to Nate's dismay) I got to show him how to to the batch thing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: