Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How do you pronounce your name? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: How do you pronounce your name?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 11:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this is silly but I was just wondering. How do people pronounce their names?

For most Americans, pronunciation of other American's names is easy. How many ways can "John Smith" be pronounced? On the other hand, we have a growing number of Europeans, South Americans and people coming to this site from other places were many Americans just don't know the lingo.

For instance, Per Hauberg... Do you say it, "per" as in "Miles per hour"? Or, do you say it with an accent like "peer"?

I'm sorry if I just slaugtered your name but that's kind of my point. It's common courtesy NOT to slaughter peoples' names.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-11-2003 01:23 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UL-PIN is how I and most of the people I associate with pronounce it. A common slip up is "Oplin". Nick names include O.P., Op, Olpy, Olpinater, Moplin, and Mop. My grandparrents (and for that matter all my relatives on that side) correct me all the time. Appearently the correct pronunciation is AL-PIN. At first I didn't understand how they were geting an A sound from an O, but then I thought about it:

Oliver = All-iv-er
so...
Olpin = All-pin

I guess that makes sense. Whatever.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-11-2003 01:32 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My name is pronounced like this:

MEE-SHA-EL SHUF-FER

the SHA sound is not like the regular English SH, but more a soft sound like air escaping from a balloon, or a variation of the rasping KH sound known from Russian names. The second name sounds almost like "shuffle".

"Olpin" seems to have a slavic feel to me. Where does the name come from?

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 01:45 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although my family originated from Belgium, that is a French-speaking country, many people here can't get it right from the first time because the roots of our name date back to 7th-century Ireland...

The name is like "foo" + "yen" (like the Japanese money). But in fact, the letters "en" at the end of the name are one sound in itself, which doesn't exist in English so I can't simulate it here for your understanding. However if you manage to pronounce "foo yen" I'll be most happy though.
[thumbsup]

Other spellings of the same name (with same pronunciation) are Fouillien and Fouyen. My first name "Lionel" is pronounced "Lee-o-nell" in French.

Michael, does your name normally spells with an Umlaut over the "a" in German?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-11-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Michael never has the ae in German. However, my last name, which is quite rare, is similar to Schaefer, which is a very common name. 90% of people spell it wrong the first time.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2003 02:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last name, "Redifer" is pronounced " hou-huf-ge-muaf ". It is polish and most people dont say it correctly. Angers me.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 03:15 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's spelt Jonathan Worthing

It's pronounced stote wobbler mangrove.

(Python joke)

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-11-2003 03:56 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
So, uh, Joe ... this weekend when I meet you in person, I shall ask for Mister Hou-huf-ge-muaf at the box office. Or do you work with a bunch of idiots that call you Mister Red-i-fer?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2003 04:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually in reality it's  - Kind of like Red if her, but without the "h" on the last syllable. Quite easy, but people try to overthink it and pronounce it wrong (not sure how this is possible, but it happens from time to time).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-11-2003 04:20 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, Joe, the creative pronounciation is much more confusing!

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 04:22 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or, do you say it with an accent like "peer"?

Yep, Randy - You've got it !

In Denmark, we have always learned, that the difference between english and american is, that the americans speaks with a hot potato in their mouth. I guess, that's what the young Mr. Hou-huf-ge-muaf just pointed out.
Joe - You just caused the Spell Check to go down. Black smoke comes out now from my screen. [bs]

p.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 07:02 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
per,

i should remind you that swedes say that of danes as well. the hot potato thing.

carl

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 07:11 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Germán Marín: her-MAN ma-REEN

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl

We'll let the swedes do so for a while. -They are not the ones, we are at war with this week. -But i don't believe, even the London Tabloids could have been more dirty/naughty than our local "boulevard-press" were last week up to our football match with the Norwegians. Even I was embarrassed !

Trouble with the swedes is, that every time they get out of their cages and are allowed to take the ferry those 20 minutes to Elsinore, they get so overwhelmingly drunk, that they are not able to even understand each other. Back home, they've got something, they call öl (beer), which due to thorough investigations and lab tests shows up to be, what in Denmark is called "mosevand" - my best translation will be boggy-water. And then, when those otherwise very kind people are dipping their noses in the famous Danish brew (Scoot over, Schaffer), they get grossly intoxicated in no time.

So much for now about the Scandinavian brotherhood. -Our way of loving each other (which we do, -really !) is impossible for other cultures to understand, just as we DO have a problem, getting on with people outside our own farm.

Per

----------------------------------------------------------------
Would someone be so kind to teach me what to do, when i'm writing as long an answer as this one (the answer from You now should not be "shorten up"), and would like to use the SpellCheck. I don't know how to scroll down the Check window, and therefore, i can't check the last lines, nor can i release the trigger at the buttom. I am trying to learn Your language through this Forum, and the SpellCheck is a very welcome help, but...??? [Confused]

p.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 09:30 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,

I'm glad you started this thread. I often wonder about pronunciations of some of our fellow Film-Techers names also.

I'm amazed at how often my own last name, with only three letters, is mispronounced. It rhymes with "toy" but I often get "Lou," "Lee," Lowe," and "Lloyd."

Generations ago my last name was Maloy but the "Ma" was dropped sometime during the 1800's. Now I'm told that some people are surprised to find out that I'm mostly Irish, and not oriental.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: