Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My I.E. Explorer is overloaded With Pop Up Ads!

Author Topic: My I.E. Explorer is overloaded With Pop Up Ads!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-10-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday this thing called a hot bar appeared below the standard address bar on my I.E. Explorer, ver. 6.0.2800.1106. I am also getting barraged by pop up ads. Is there any way to get rid of the Hotbar, and or filter out the pop ups? I've tried unclecking the Hotbar when you right click on it, but it comes back if I go out and then back into I.E.
Thanks,
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-10-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to download.com.com and search for Lavasoft's AdAware version 6.0. That will get rid of your pesky hotbar and any other spyware crap on your system. And it's free! [Smile]

Note that this may screw with KaZaA, CuteFTP and some other shareware software, so tell AdAware to make a backup file of the stuff it removes so that you can restore it if you find that you removed something you need.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some specific information on removing HOTBAR:

Hotbar Removal

I personally use a commercial program called PEST PATROL that clears up almost any mess.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I contracted these new "hotbar smiley faces too." It was driving me crazy, so I used the traditional My Computer, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and blasted those happy faces to HELL!

At time of deletion, it actually had the nerve to ask me WHY I am deleting it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-10-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips.... I'll work on it right now..... Those pop ups are really a nusance!
Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-10-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you don't have to go through Download.com looking for AdAware you can download it directrly from LavaSoft's download page: AdAware Free Download.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2003 10:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl that was not a direct link to the file itself. I recommend that you be banned. [Smile]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are so lucky!

I don't get all this cool stuff on my computer. The only time I get a pop-up window is when I click on a link that specifically opens a window.

I'm only partially joking! Really!

The only virus I've ever seen in person was a copy of NIMDA that came in on an e-mail. My computer spit it out. Oh! I once got hit with "SevenDust" (AKA: "The 666 virus") but all that does is scramble your screen and crash your computer. Took me about 30 minutes to get rid of it.

I say, "You're lucky!" because having trouble helps develop the ability to deal with it. I was told that dozens of new viruses appear on the Internet every day! With all these viruses/worms floating about and all this spyware installing itself on your computer, I'd be stumped if I ever caught one!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-10-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for Joe... lazy ass!

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 01:11 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spyware absolutely pisses me off. Those [sex] who write that [bs] need to be strung up by their jewels. Anyhoo, Mark, in conjunction with AdAware, I use SpyBot. It will catch a few things that AdAware misses. It is totally freeware and you can get it on cnet.com. I also had hotbar on my machine and adaware missed it but spybot got it. Then again, that was earlier this year so they probably updated their files.

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 08:42 AM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spybot works well. Very well. It continues to run and catches every little spyware program that comes around trying to attach itself to your PC.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: