Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Used Locomotive Auction (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Used Locomotive Auction
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-02-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, why not skip the 1.5" = 1' scale live steam and go right to 12" = 1' scale with one of these fine units, probably only ever driven by a little old lady from Pasadena (assuming the little old lady worked for Uncle Pete and liked to tote 12,000 tons cross country)? Beware the "GP38" in Roseville that is really a C30-7.

http://www.primetimeauctions.com

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-02-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, this is funny as I know right where those engines are sitting in Roseville!! My girlfriends brother lives not too far from the rr yard..... Trains go by there so often you don't even notice them.....
Those babies are missing everything but the commode! Plus you ahve to disassemble them and haul then off????? Thats a little inconvenient! I'll stick with the 1.5 " Shay....it'll fit on a trailer that I can tow around to the rail meets.
Mark

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Train buffs!
Cool! Seen any frog nose ICG,s lately?

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 12:46 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Intresting photos,I was wondering do rail operators in the U.S remanfacture older Locomotives to modern specs as is done here in Australia as this a cheaper alternative to building new units.A company here are rebuilding Alco Locomotives built in the 70's to modern specs with new cabs and prime movers (engines) complete with new state of the art control systems.The older units were only 2000hp now they have been remanufactured the are now rated at 3500hp.Most austrailian loco's are around the 4000 + range (the newer types ).
Stephen (Rail buff from way back) [beer]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-03-2003 01:31 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the oil hasn't been changed in a while. I'd be afraid to drive it.

Okay, so how do you get these things home?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-03-2003 06:57 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is quite a bit of rebuilding, either in-kind or to better standards, by both railroads and outside contractors.

The UP will deliver those locomotives anywhere on their system at no further charge except for a few which they say need to be knocked down and most of those are because of missing brake ("break" sic) system components. I'd bet the buyers would find it cheaper to fix the brake systems in situ and let them move on their own wheels.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-03-2003 07:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was wondering do rail operators in the U.S remanfacture older Locomotives to modern specs as is done here in Australia as this a cheaper alternative to building new units.
Here in Britain the train companies have an even cheaper alternative still: running 1970s trains without any remanufacturing whatsoever!

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 07:48 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to your question Leo, Yes some railroads do re manufacture old locomotives with new specs. ICG rebuilt all their GP7, GP9 and GP18 units into GP8, GP10 and GP11 units with the then dash 2 modular components. Santa Fe Rebuilt several segments of old locomotives such as the CF7's which were old F unit bodies with a shop built cab and a GP9 hood added all with the latest technology in them. EMD is now taking the SD40-2 that are being discarded and running them through the shops and turning them out with the microprocessor technology that had been introduced with the SD50 and 60 line. the new units are listed as SD40-3. GE did a similar trick in the early 90's with old U23B and C's U30B and C and U33B and C units turning them into super7 units wihch had microprocessors in them. The GE units did not enjoy the success in the rebuild market that the EMD units did. Only Mexico bought a significant number of them. They can now be seen running over KCS rails.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 08:49 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I've always wanted an SD40 or SD45! Getting one with the "Rio Grande" paint scheme still on there would be pretty cool.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-03-2003 09:53 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if one was going to get a "45" then the original SD-45 with flaring radiator air intakes would be much cooler looking than the successor SD-45-2 model or the special order SD-45T-2 with the "tunnel motor" air intakes. The original 45's would still be alternator/rectifier but would lack the Dash 2 modular electronics and have Flexicoil instead of HTC trucks. The 45 series had 20 cylinder engines which originally were problematic but I read somewhere that those crankcases had all been cycled back through EMD as engines came due for overhaul where they were reworked to eliminate a cracking problem with the crankshaft carriers (an area redesigned on later ones).

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 10:12 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your seriously interested in buying a retired railcar, try one of these places:

www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com

www.railmerchants.net

www.cabooses4sale.com

We have considered buying a retired passenger railcar to use as an "Office" for the drive-in. The town we are building our theatre in is a small railroad town, and we thought about incorporating a railroad "theme" through-out the theatre.

The purchase price for the actual cars is relatively cheap. The expensive part is getting the car "rail-worthy" again, getting the trucks over-hauled to meet Amtrack minimum standards for rail travel, transporting the car from point "A" to point "B", and then getting it moved from the tracks to the location you want to permenantly display it.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-03-2003 12:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all too cool! I'd love a locomotive for $1,000! Just put it on some old abandonded tracks I know of, and run it back and forth all day!

Hey, Barry. How about picking up one, and build a loop around your drive-in!

I have an operator's manual for an SD-40-2 and it's never ceased to fascinate me. A friend works for NS in Jersey... he's always trying to get me to go to their engineer school. I've thought about it.
[Cool]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-03-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With some adjustment of the governor to run the engine at a constant 720 rpm the traction alternator (a 10-pole machine on EMD) will be putting out 60 Hz and you could easily power an entire subdivision from one locomotive.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-03-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll bite. Steve, how do you KNOW all this?
[Smile]

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, our local substation has a row of 3 locomotive diesels that are cycled on and off as the grid requires. The company's main genration is oil-fired combustion turbines, but they are assisted by diesel, hydro, wind and geothermal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: