Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » July the 4th IŽll be in the States (L.A., Las Vegas, S.F.) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: July the 4th IŽll be in the States (L.A., Las Vegas, S.F.)
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 3 years in a row without "real" vacations I decided to travel and cross the ocean so I hope to be in Los Angeles very soon but I have a couple of questions.

Is there a theatre at this time (on july exactly) which rans 70 mm films?.

What is the most espectacular movie theatre on the city that every film handler of the world should visit???

The Film studios like Fox, Paramount, etc have guided tours or I only can go to the Universal Theme Park???
(yeah, apart from cinemas and movies I plan to do other things).

Where I can find the cheapest dvdŽs store on the city??

Well, thanks in advance and see you soon.

Un saludo

|  IP: Logged

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the smaller theatres but the bigger theatres with 70mm is the loews at Universal Citywalk and there is also a 70mm at the Irvine Spectrum Edwards. They usually only run 35mm blown up though [bs]

You have to visit the Chinese, and the El Capitan is right next to that, as is the Cinerama Dome. The Egyptian is also right near there. Amoeba music is also right next to all three of those has a good dvd selection.

Older theatres I've been to are the Rialto in Pasadena, Bay Theatre in Seal Beach usually screens classics weekly, the Nuart has Rocky Horror every sat night at midnight, as does the Art Theatre in Long Beach... this is all from memory so forgive me if I make a mistake. Can't remember anymore off the top of my head just check the LA Times calendar section on Thursday they usually have the listings of everything thats happening that weekend.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-30-2003 10:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I 2nd Aldo's informative post! [beer]

Amoeba is the place for DVD's. Reminder: DVD's will be region 1 and may not play on your player.

There are many special events and films throughout the year at the Egyptian including a KILLER 3D film festival in September.

If you like crowded tourist places filled with wanna-be-cool and self-proclaimed trendy people, go to Citywalk or the Burbank Media Center Restaurants and clubs. (Yawn)

If not, go to some of the other places Aldo mentions..there are many treasures here.

>>> Phil

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-31-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should definitely check out the American Cinematheque at the Egyptian Theatre. The theatre is very interesting and there are some very nice people working there. I can put you in touch with them if you promise that you will behave.
You will find that Hollywood is really quite a run-down area, so don`t be disappointed.
In front of the Chinese Theatre there are trolleys which will take you on a one-hour trip to the really important sights. I hear the studios do not allow visitors anymore but I am not sure so better check yourself.
If you want to see movie stars, go to the Mayfair supermarket. They also hand out great parking tickets there as a souvenir. Do not go to Hollywood Hills. Only very strange people live there.

The best thing about Los Angeles though is that it is close to San Diego where the really trendy and cool people live. There are several attractions like the historical centre ("The birthplace of California"), various animal parks and Sea World as well as Legoland (that`s right, Legoland) in the area. You can also take a harbor cruise and see big battleships and submarines.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-31-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, as usual, you don't know what you're talking about. The people that work there suck and are very rude! They must be from Germany or France or San Diego.

Also, most of Hollywood is great and NOT run-down. Like most cities, there are good and bad areas and places. The good far out-weigh the bad. There is much to see and do here and a great eclectic mix of people.

The Mayfair Market is a great place to meet movie stars doing their grocery shopping....not a good place to park long-term. Only stupid and mislead people park there a long time and get tickets.

And as far as the Hollywood Hills... there are some really great people living there like movie stars, film producers and directors...and ummm me. There are many famous movie locations that are in many films.

Most movie studios do have both public and private tours of their facilities. You were just too cheap to fork over the bucks.

San Diego is the arm-pit of California as well as the US. Not only does it stink there, the people are extremely rude and are phony wanna be's! Most just couldn't make it in the big time of Los Angeles.

>>> Phil

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 06:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mackers is rundown- but a lot of other places along the main drag are ok in Sunset strip- I think
i stay at the HOLLYWOOD BACKPACKERS for about $10 a night quite a fun croud- more fun than any where elce i went on my five week world tour last year. They have an ameture comedian night on sunday with $1 beers I was in my element there -- everyone has fun:) - Will be there for the 3D Fest - cya there

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 11:31 AM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answers.

I was thinking to go with a travel agency (flight and 3 hotel nights included) but now IŽm considering to go on my own and find there a kind of hostel or something like that (cheap is the word) and stay more than 3 days.
Any suggestion of a place near of all you have mentioned?

Thanks for the address of the stores an theatres and Michael I promise you I will behave although my english is... (you can check how it is for my writting)so the communication can be a little difficult.

Thanks for the warning of the dvdŽs but most of the editions from here are garbage so I have a multizone dvd player

When I have the tickets IŽll post again for last minute advice.

Thanks y un saludo

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel:

During your trip, be sure to visit Mann's theatres in Westwood near the UCLA campus. Take in a show at the Village or the Bruin, where the vast majority of Hollywood's premieres take place. Both are classic old theatres with very carefully maintained sound and projection, I personally would rather see a film at the Village than just about anywhere, although they very often have the sound turned up to eardrum splitting volume at the studio's insistence (and after your visit, while you are waiting for the ringing in your ears to go away, walk across Broxton Street to Stan's Corner Donut Shop and have a Peanut Butter/Banana/Chocolate Chip donut, from which it is to die). The National Theatre is also another huge single screen in the same area, said to be one of the last, if not the absolute last, single screen theatre built in America. All these theatres are 70mm equipped, but rarely get prints. As long as your are strolling around Westwood pay your respects to Marilyn Monroe, whose grave (along with a ton of other star's graves) is located in the Pierce Brother's Cemetary next to the parking garage behind the Avco Cinema on Wilshire, just a short walk from the National.

The largest screen in LA is at the Cinerama Dome on Sunset Blvd, now part of the Arclight Cinemas complex, and only one of two US theatres set up for the original 3 strip Cinerama process, they have a Kinoton 35/70, usually some interesting lobby displays and a very nice film-oriented gift shop for those at home. As noted by others, The Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. is the most famous show in town, what with the star's footprints and all. Another huge screen, and the sound here is very boomy, but if it's famous places you're after, it's a gotta-do.

An organization called the LA Conservency holds tours of old abandoned downtown theatres on Saturdays, sometimes they get access to the some great old beauties still operating: www.laconservancy.org/tours/tours_main.shtml is their web site.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
San Diego is the arm-pit of California as well as the US. Not only does it stink there, the people are extremely rude and are phony wanna be's! Most just couldn't make it in the big time of Los Angeles.
San Diego is a GREAT city! Did Steven Spielberg choose LOS ANGELES for the exciting conclusion of THE LOST WORLD? NOPE! The extravagent DINO park was to be built right in San Diego. AND the T-REX rampage was even more destructive because there was more valuable and important buildings to destroy in San Diego. In Los Angeles, who would have noticed? And the large round orange gas station ball the dino played with was symbolic of San Diego's world-class status.

AND, does Los Angeles have a light rail system that actually takes you to another country? NO AGAIN! As a matter of fact, San Diego is the ONLY city in the U.S. where a local light rail system will do that, proving once AGAIN that San Diego is a world class city, the Paris of the U.S.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-31-2003 05:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paris? They don't bathe in San Diego either? GEEEZE!

(That post was tongue-in-cheek, for of yous that didn't get it)

>>> Phil

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Paris of California USED to be Bakersfield, till San Diego stole the title away from us. We were once called the armpit of California as well, but after Phil's post, it appears San Diego stole THAT honor awayfrom us as well!

DAMN that greedy San Diego! See what kind of thief's city you moved to, Michael? [Big Grin]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-31-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget California and come to friendly and sunny Hawaii, America's tropical paradise. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-Claude

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-31-2003 11:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Claude...if one LIKES mosquitoes and humidity! [Razz]

>>> Phil

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2003 04:59 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw Cali...it's like a bowl of cereal. It is the land of nuts, fruits and flakes. [Big Grin] If you want to go anywhere for REAL fun, come to Las Vegas. There's a reason they call it Sin City. [evil] [sex] [thumbsup] [beer]

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2003 05:15 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Siegfried & Roy?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: